Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder extendable poles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Old Fartbag, I am anyway speeding past them, no worries...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I am anyway speeding past them, no worries...

That was the answer I was expecting.

Maybe get some longer poles, which will slow you down enough for them to keep up!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
Never seen anybody go to the trouble of having different pole lengths on a ski tour. Have touring poles with long grips that run far down the poles, just hold the uphill pole lower down when skinning up something steep. Recently gone from 3 piece to 2 piece poles. They don‘t collapse down as far but feel more sturdy than the 3 piece poles.

+1 to the adjusting poles to different lengths - hence the extended handle!!

And yes if a skier, you don't need 3 piece poles as one more thing to go wrong over 2 piece poles etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Old Fartbag, or just let old age catch up? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve bought the Black Crows Duo for anyone that cares
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:

And yes if a skier, you don't need 3 piece poles as one more thing to go wrong over 2 piece poles etc

Got me thinking, does a ski tourer really need 3 piece poles? I very rarely collapse my poles down on a ski tour and when I do I normally have my skis on my back that are at least 167 cm long (e.g. on a via ferrata / Klettersteig, or dropping down on a rope) so a 45cm 3 piece pole is not going to give me much advantage over a 2 piece 85cm pole. I see that even some 3 piece poles are 70cm long, probably the ones that have a longer grip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Got me thinking, does a ski tourer really need 3 piece poles? I very rarely collapse my poles down on a ski tour and when I do I normally have my skis on my back that are at least 167 cm long (e.g. on a via ferrata / Klettersteig, or dropping down on a rope) so a 45cm 3 piece pole is not going to give me much advantage over a 2 piece 85cm pole. I see that even some 3 piece poles are 70cm long, probably the ones that have a longer grip.

When I need a collapsible pole not an adjustable I have fixed length 4 piece poles. But it's much more a climbing/mountaineering/hiking thing where they need to be small on the outside or inside a pack.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DanFuller wrote:
I’ve bought the Black Crows Duo for anyone that cares

Dan, we *all* care...

I’ve got a pair of Duos and they are great as long as you set them where you need them and leave them there - i have found them not to be repeatedly adjustable because, unfortunately the over dead centre lever is fashioned to comprise two parallel strips which join at the tip pad where the thumb naturally sits when tightening the lever. If it’s very tight, the lever can bend at the weaker mid point - the two strips - so you end up not tightening the joint further but bending the lever. I have moved to pressing on the lever at the mid point With the ball of my hand rather than pressing on the tip of the lever.

You can tune the tightness of the lever using a screwdriver on the adjuster - i eventually got a sweet spot.

Buy some spare baskets because they can unclip and disappear... I got some spares for EUR 4 each.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy