Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Vegas???

Poster: A snowHead
Right, a slightly odd question. We are heading off to Vegas next February, and thought If we are over that side, it would be the perfect opportunity to try some of the North American ski resorts. Obvious answers are Whistler and Banff I guess? Have never skiied US before, so any ideas and recommendations. Needs to be fairly easy to get from Vegas!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Seira Nevada resorts in California or the Utah resort's wound be the easiest if you are looking to drive. If you wanted something a bit different try Taos and Ski Apache in new Mexico...desert resorts, weirdly appealing.
Or you can fly anywhere in North America from Mccarron.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or for a quirky day, Lee Canyon or the Las Vegas ski resort, about 40 mins up the road towards Area 51.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Shawsy, Good idea - Mammoth I would suggest as it's decent little resort and an easy drive
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How long for ? if a couple of days or so folks drive form Vegas to Brianhead and/or Eagle Point, stay in Cedar City or Beaver.
Any longer then grab a flight or a day driving.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mammoth is in driving distance and usually has good snow (not this year though).

Otherwise Salt Lake City is about 6 hours drive.

Even at that sort of drive probably worth it compared to the ballache of airport, domestic bag fees, arrival airport, car hire or shuttle at the other end
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lee Canyon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drive across Death Valley to Mammoth. Super scenic.
Or Brian Head a few hours north would do to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some great suggestions here! We’re thinking 3/4 days in Vegas and then a weeks ski, so could fly, but don’t want hours or multiple changes...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anywhere!

Upward of 50 resorts within 2 hrs of flight!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brian head is where I drive when I have to suffer in Vegas. No need to go any further unless there's an issue with the snow. Brian Head is excellent, stunning scenery and a part of the world the tourist hordes don't get to.

If you're flying, well unless the snow's bad then staying in the US is easier than flying to Canada, and Utah would be my preference there too, although it depends what sort of place you like.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shawsy,

We are currently in Colorado and doing the reverse of your trip - ie a ski road trip, followed by 3 nights in Las Vegas.

We flew to Denver and hired a car there last Friday.

I will be posting a separate, more detailed, trip report later but, in summary, we have skied at less-touristy places and have had a great time so far. Up to now we have had a day's skiing at each of Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Sunlight Mountain and Powderhorn. All offer cheap lift tickets (of no more than about $50 per day) if bought online in advance - either via Liftopia website, or direct from the resort. This afternoon we arrived in Silverton for 4 days guided off piste (with uplift by chairlift).

Next week we will have 6 days in the Vail area & 1 more day at Loveland before driving back to Denver and flying from there to Las Vegas. Then we will fly home from there. (We booked with BA, to fly into Denver and out of Las Vegas, with a separate United flight (Denver to LV) in between).

Even though we are only at the start of our trip we have had a fantastic time so far. The driving has been brilliant (despite problems with snow on arrival...) - with stunning scenery and empty roads. I will provide more info in my detailed trip report later.

We are staying in cheap (but pleasant) motels and averaging about $70 per room per night, with all but one place so far offering a complimentary buffet breakfast.

So far so good! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
work out what's best to get home. Could fly to Salt Lake or Reno (Tahoe).
If you went Reno/Tahoe then both come under Nevada - so you can gamble. Cross the state line in Tahoe & you can legally smoke pot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A flight to Reno is an hour or so then a 30 min drive to Incline Village at the north end of Lake Tahoe.

From there you're anything from 5-30 minutes from Squaw Valley, Northstar, Alpine Meadows, Sugar Bowl, Heavenly, Mt Rose, Diamond Peak and others. Been there many times and they're all worthwhile. Driving to each resort is very low hassle as most are set up for day trippers from the Bay Area. The Grand Hyatt at Incline is in an amazing location right on the lake shore and the views of either the lake or desert have to be some of the most amazing of any ski resort in the world.

Just one thing, don't be tempted to stay in Reno itself, the Vegas strip it is not...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
levart wrote:
A flight to Reno is an hour or so then a 30 min drive to Incline Village at the north end of Lake Tahoe.

From there you're anything from 5-30 minutes from Squaw Valley, Northstar, Alpine Meadows, Sugar Bowl, Heavenly, Mt Rose, Diamond Peak and others. Been there many times and they're all worthwhile. Driving to each resort is very low hassle as most are set up for day trippers from the Bay Area. The Grand Hyatt at Incline is in an amazing location right on the lake shore and the views of either the lake or desert have to be some of the most amazing of any ski resort in the world.

Just one thing, don't be tempted to stay in Reno itself, the Vegas strip it is not...

This is a seriously misinformed post, I'm afraid.

The drive between south lake Tahoe and north lake Tahoe is long and tedious.

Further, I wonder how many "Bay Area" skier you know that day trip to Tahoe? It's a 4-6 hr drive with a high mountain pass in between.

Last but not least, Reno may not be a mirror image of Las Vegas. It's a fine base to ski Mt Rose. Incline Village has nothing. I mean, NOTHING!
snow report
I think there's a small hill by Vegas called Bear Mountain, if you want just a day trip.

Lot of options any of these would be the ones I'd pick depending on the groups ability and need for amenities;

Mammoth - long drive but nice mountain and cool US suburban style village. Free hot springs down the road.

Fly to Reno in Tahoe - Squaw & Alpine Meadows best resorts and on the Ikon pass. Stay in Truckee and get the ski bus. Truckee is a great village. Could drive to Mammoth (3-4h) for day mini sub trip trip. Don't bother with Northstar on epic, waste of space resort.

Salt Lake (we are flying to Vegas from there) - Park City on epic pass best resort in region if not the whole US imo. Or do the Ikon resorts, smaller but nicer less corporate vibe, and drive in each day 30-40min. Note; some are ski only (deer valley & Alta). Cheap accommodation and bars in salt Lake, but a city not ski village.

Denver - haven't explored these resorts full yet, so now view. Denver is cool place though similar vibes to California. Massive lift queues.
ski holidays
LittleBullet wrote:
Don't bother with Northstar on epic, waste of space resort.

Park City on epic pass best resort in region if not the whole US imo.

I have trouble reconciling the above two statements.
snow report
Every time I see this thread title I think of the lovely run from THE Las Vegas to San Cassiano!
snow report
@abc, differing views, that's what makes a market Wink
snow report
@LittleBullet, "waste of space" == no resort should be build there (as no one should ski there?).

But now you're saying someone with a differing view may enjoy it? Wink

(Neither NorthStar nor Park City are my favorites. That's why I was curious why you find one "the best" and the other "waste of space")
snow conditions
Once when in Las Vegas I meandered to Durango, formerly known as Purgatory (honestly).

Wish I hadn’t bothered.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Further, I wonder how many "Bay Area" skier you know that day trip to Tahoe? It's a 4-6 hr drive with a high mountain pass in between.

It's 3hrs to Squaw from downtown SF if you go early in the morning... Coming back on a Saturday is usually 3.5hours. I think a lot of people do this, and there are at least two companies running day-trip buses.

That said, there's not been any real snow for about a month, so if you're gonna ski the US from overseas don't count on Tahoe - go somewhere with a more reliable record
snow conditions
driz wrote:
abc wrote:

It's 3hrs to Squaw from downtown SF if you go early in the morning... Coming back on a Saturday is usually 3.5hours. I think a lot of people do this, and there are at least two companies running day-trip buses.

That said, there's not been any real snow for about a month, so if you're gonna ski the US from overseas don't count on Tahoe - go somewhere with a more reliable record

You THINK "a lot of people" do that? How often do YOU do it?

I've done it once or twice, from Berkeley. Always some sort of hiccup on one leg of the trip. It's never 6 hrs drive + 8 hrs skiing = 14 hr day. It always end up being a longer day, and/or shorter skiing time.
ski holidays
@abc, Literally just did not like Northstar, the terrain was so boring, flat and short ish runs. I wouldn't recommend it to even the most timid beginner skiier.....so yeah waste of space, better off leaving the mountain to turn into a wildlife park....

Park city, just loved it felt like the most well-rounded resort we've visited so far in the US. Keen to see how I feel about Vail etc.
ski holidays
LittleBullet wrote:
@abc, Literally just did not like Northstar, the terrain was so boring, flat and short ish runs. I wouldn't recommend it to even the most timid beginner skiier.....so yeah waste of space, better off leaving the mountain to turn into a wildlife park....

Park city, just loved it felt like the most well-rounded resort we've visited so far in the US. Keen to see how I feel about Vail etc.

Did you do the trees of NorthStar?

As for the well-rounded'ness, I think JH and Aspen are both brilliant! Park City doesn't come even close. For that matter, I prefer Mammoth over Park City.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
LittleBullet wrote:

I thought the same.
Park City better than Alta/Snowbird? Lol
snow report
sbooker wrote:
abc wrote:
LittleBullet wrote:

I thought the same.
Park City better than Alta/Snowbird? Lol

Not sure he said that wink

LB was talking about resorts on the Epic pass Madeye-Smiley

But if he wasn't - I'd agree about Alta/Snowbird - in fact really PC is a bit average really.
But have had some good times there previously but don't need to go back
snow conditions
Quote:

in fact really PC is a bit average

That would be my assessment too.

Rather than "best resort in region if not the whole US"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. Yes did Northstar trees. Honestly, flat as a pancake. Would be last on my list of the "big 5" Tahoe resorts.

2. Can't do Alta, as on a board. Snowbird has better terrain than PC but lacked the mountain village at the base...we only found a carpark and a mall type setup.

For me a resort needs to have a decent village to be considered well rounded imo, doesn't necessarily mean the terrain is best. Depends what you're going for. ....for holiday while in Vegas I'd want a resort type setup not a carpark.....

Am I really the only one that loved PC?.. awkward.... :-/ lol.....
snow report
If you are okay flying, the easy would by LAS to SLC. Then take your pick. If you are a boarder, then no Alta, but Snowbird should do. Then you have everything else; Park City/Canyons & Deer Valley, or Powder Mtn, and Snow Basin. Flights will be cheap. Just under 90 minutes.

Denver is only slightly farther. Then you have a plethora of choices; Breckenridge, Vail, Keystone, Copper, Beaver Creek, Winter Park. Depending on how much driving you want to do, there's also Steamboat and Aspen/Snowmass.

As mentioned, fly into Reno and hit up one or more of the Tahoe resorts - Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar or Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows
snow report
LittleBullet wrote:
Am I really the only one that loved PC?.. awkward.... :-/ lol.....

All I’m saying is PC is a bit ... average! Not “best” of anything, regional or US

I will happily ski PC. I just don’t LOVE it.

There’re other resorts that have a “village”: Jackson Hole is one. Aspen, Telluride, Breckinridge, Steamboat...
snow report
@abc, I'll debate with you on another thread as the season progresses.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
Once when in Las Vegas I meandered to Durango, formerly known as Purgatory (honestly).

Wish I hadn’t bothered.

Its still known as Purgatory Cool Dropped in last season for a day - that's all we needed and no need to repeat.

Strange place and probably aptly named Toofy Grin

If you are anywhere in that area, Wolf Creek is a much better place to visit.
latest report
I've never had good snow at PC, on the other hand I've had great snow at NS and its been open on days when other "better" mountains around have been stormed out so......

You just need to approach NS in the right chilled mindspace and recognise you won't be sending cliffs or steep chutes.
latest report
Thanks all - some great recommendations here! We are both intermediate skiers who love a cruise on a nice, wide, groomed tree lined piste. Am thinking of the ‘safe’ option of Vail ...
snow conditions
We did Mamoth from Vegas a couple of times The drive is quite long but spectacular you can route through Death Valley so one moment you are in blistering heat and the next (well 2 hrs later) you are in 3m of snow. One thing you may want to watch is the type of car you hire in Vegas. Don’t do whet we did and go for the super cheap compact which was great for Vegas but we stopped right at the base of the slopes at Mamouth mountain lodge and woke up on the day of our departure to over 2 m of new snow and could not even see the car. Once dig out it was a hairy ride down the mountain with no chains or snow tyres. Top tip rent a 4x4.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy