Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel Feb 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Four of us being my wife and I and my parents booked a week in Kitzbuhel leaving the 1st of Feb. Nicely timed for the end of Self Assessment (31st of Jan) when MrsHD finishes the last of her clients tax returns.

Cost PP was about £510 with Crystal flying from Manchester to Innsbruck and staying in the Hotel Aurach, a couple of miles outside Kitz centre in the village of Aurach.

First the hotel.

Staff were all very nice, hotel manager was very helpful and I don't think I could fault any of them. The food was average for a 3* hotel, breakfast was a little limited with no hot option but we never left hungry. Evening meals were OK but filling.

2 lounges, one used as a TV room for films and sports and a cosy room with a big log fire which the barman kept topped up through the evening. Very nice!

I'd say the bar was well priced, our total bill was 600e for the week which included a liter of wine every night plus one lunch for my parents who didn't ski one day

Rooms were 3* standard, very clean with balconies. No complaints.

Sauna/wellness opened every day at 4, earlier on the day we had rain. Fairly small and typical Austrian rules, let it all hang out. MrsHD was a bit put out when a middle teen came in with his dad, starkers... We didn't use it again after that.

Boot room had plenty of space for gear and our boots were nice and dry each morning.

We picked the location because being with my parents we weren't expecting wild nights out in the town so opted for a hotel halfway between the main centers of Kitzbuhel and Jochberg meaning we didn't have to traverse the full length of the area but could pick where we wanted to ski.

The downside being the bus stop was a few hundred M from the hotel for either option (no major drama) but the last ski bus was at 5 o'clock so apres was a bit limited. The other option was to walk down to the main station later but we sensed it was quite a way.

The skiing was OK, on arrival it was very warm (+7 degrees) and on Monday it rained meaning we were limited to the highest lifts. After that it snowed, hard for two days which was very welcome but after the warm/freeze it meant a very icy base with lots of fresh on top. Thursday and Friday brought great weather, sunny and clear but lot of people were of the same opinion that some pistes hadn't been groomed overnight and even the lower nursery slopes were cut up by lunchtime.

On the bad weather days I'd say 80% of the area was closed meaning restaurants etc were packed. Weather doesn't really bother me as it's a mountain holiday afterall but I've never had almost the entire are be shut down.

One obvious slope to mention is the Strief which isn't one piste but a few linked sections which we missed a few times because of the fog but sorted it on the last few days. It looks like you follow RED 22 but in fact you need to hang right to pick up ROUTE 21 to get on to it. It had been iced for the race the week before our arrival so wasn't in the best of conditions but still skiable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy