Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See to Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere

We are looking to go to Zell at the beginning of March, we would like to base in Saalbach but cant find anything cheap enough Sad . Most hotels look to be close to the cityxpress gondola, given this what is the quickest way of getting across to the zellamsee gondola and wider terrain of the area

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bus?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@alan_utchi, I'm not so sure what you really want...

You can ski in Zell am See if you are based in Saalbach using the linking lifts; and vice versa.

You want to go to Zell but stay in Saalbach?... but Saalbach is too expensive...(which is about the same price as Zell).
Leogang?... I dunno.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alan_utchi, hi

To get from the bottom of the City Express in Zell over to Viehhofen will take about 45 minutes. Then a short ski bus ride to the Schönleitenbahn takes around 10 mins, busses run every ten minutes. From there the whole of the ski circus is accessible for you.

There are also options by bus, download the ÖBB app to see these.

There are a pensions/hotels available in the Saalbach-Hinterglemm area on booking.com starting from around €800 per week for 2 sharing.
I’m in Saalbach-Hinterglemm from the 21st Feb until the 7th March- let me know if you get there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are a couple of ways to do this.

City express to middle station, black (13?) down to the cable car, cable car to the top and ski down the red to the bottom of the Zell express, then bus to the Schonleitenbahn.

If you want to get there early and ski, there is a bus which goes from opposite the city express ticket office on Schmittenstrasse at around 7:50 each morning. There is then a cable car at 8:30.

Otherwise, post bus or drive to Saalbach. The car park at the Kohlmaisbahn is free. If you have a car, the konigstour from Maria alm to muhlbach is a nice day out. I'm also in Zell from 29 Feb to 7 march but skiing elsewhere most days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
680 Postbus from the City Express valley station (Postplatz) in Zell to the Schattberg Express in Saalbach takes about 35 minutes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the replies. What is black 13 like as a run? Is it the type of thing you want to do first thing after a couple of jars the night before? Im confident on most blacks unless they are full of bumps (im too lazy for that) or ice from top to bottom. How does it compare to blacks around morzine and pds for example
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow is usually good as it's North facing. Never seen a bump on it and it's wide. Known locally as the steps, it is alternate steep and flat bits. One of my favourite runs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alan_utchi, Zell black 13 is very nice. As @Klamm Franzer, says it’s north facing- keeps the snow alternates between steep and not so steep. No really steep parts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are a group of 4 staying in Zell next week and are planning to ski over to Salbaach at least a couple of days .
Though the buses are every 10 minutes from Viehhofen, are there usually big queues ?
Just wondering how long the wait will be, if anyone has experience of this.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Cityburger, Hi in January the longest wait was 10 minutes with no queue. I think the most people that got on was 5 or 6. It will probably be a busier next week. If the Hecherhutte run is open then I would imagine more folk will venture that way so the bus back may be a little fuller?

I'm in Saalbach- Hinterglemm for the next 2 weeks and will probably head over to Zell at some point - its really easy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Yorksboy, thanks for the reply. Hopefully in the mornings the bus wait wont be too bad as it will be mainly people coming from Zell. If the 168 run down to Viehhofen is open, getting back to Zell should not be an issue.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piste 168 is currently closed, as it has been all season, except for a few days a couple of weeks ago.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, do you know why its closed so often
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alan_utchi wrote:

Well based on week 1 in Jan it was probably due to poor snow coverage that low down..
ski holidays
Quote:

@alan_utchi, It’s the lowest run in the area and has no snow cannons, so when the very last part of it gets a bit thin, it closes the whole 7km run.
A few years ago it had mobile snow cannons on it, but apparently the environmentalists protested that water was being taken from natural sources, so they removed them.
Last season the snow was so good that the run was open for most of the season, but this year it has been open only for a few days.
Apparently it’s planned to build a new reservoir and install snow making, as well as a new gondola up from Viehhofen to the Saalbach Schönleiten area. This is expected to take place in the next year or two.
snow report
Quote:

@alan_utchi, It’s the lowest run in the area and has no snow cannons, so when the very last part of it gets a bit thin, it closes the whole 7km run.
A few years ago it had mobile snow cannons on it, but apparently the environmentalists protested that water was being taken from natural sources, so they removed them.
Last season the snow was so good that the run was open for most of the season, but this year it has been open only for a few days.
Apparently it’s planned to build a new reservoir and install snow making, as well as a new gondola up from Viehhofen to the Saalbach Schönleiten area. This is expected to take place in the next year or two.
snow report
I have the car there in March. Staying in Zell.
How long will it take me to drive to Saalbach?
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, About 20 minutes to Saalbach village - probably 15 minutes to the Schönleitenbahn.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy