Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing instruction - only for the bright?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to natter on about my kids again. But they indulge in other sports apart from skiing and I find the parallels interesting.

The Snowheads instruction fraternity will be delighted to know that my highly limited and extremely subjective experience of ski instructors is that they're much more, ahem, intelligent than instructors in other sports. You can communicate with them in English instead of neanderthal grunts. They seem actually to understand that different kids need different motivatational strategies. And they don't wear shell suits.

Am I just a middle class snob? Or do you get a higher class of instructor in the skiing world?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Uh?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not so sure about that, but they will more than likely have a passion for the mountains and the sport. Unless they are a local to the village and there is nothing else for them to do workwise, this passion and zest will probably stand them in good stead teaching wise, IMV
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Jones wrote:
............... my highly limited and extremely subjective experience of ski instructors is that they're much more, ahem, intelligent than instructors in other sports..........

easiski will be thrilled to know that Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't agree if comparing ski instructors with sailing instructors, who are also generally highly intelligent and with genuine motivation (because they're certainly not paid a lot, they do it for love). I don't know what it's got to do with shell suits though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sailing? Not a lot of boats on my local council estate. I don't want to start a class war, but...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
'Shell suits'. This is 2006 not 1986!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One fact about instructors that makes me smile when compared to the UK is their 'Full time job' (Ski instruction provides 4 months employment at best) quite often they are roofers or woodsmen! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny Jones, Ahem, I am a Gymnastics Instuctor, I don't wear a shell suit, or speak several languages and Mummy and Daddy didn't take me skiing when I was 3 years old either !!! I guess I must be the underclass of Instructor that you are referring to! Confused

boredsurfin, I'll be round to fix your roof tomorrow wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
One fact about instructors that makes me smile when compared to the UK is their 'Full time job' (Ski instruction provides 4 months employment at best) quite often they are roofers or woodsmen! Very Happy

most of the better instructors I know work 2 seasons per year.... so at least 7-8 months work as instructors...

the better off (family finance wise) ones seem to be able to work in the family business between seasons...

others take odd jobs in their "previous skills" area... eg engineering,construction,secretarial...

some just are very careful with money during season (and have good client base of rich clients = high tips) and then go surfing/golfing/mountain bike riding in between

Sorry - I just don't know many that work only 4 months a year
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
............and yet another bill makes its smooth untroubled passage through the Snowheads forum.............
wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno,
Quote:

boredsurfin, I'll be round to fix your roof tomorrow

While your with your ladders could you paint the top floor window frames.
Thanks Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Phil Jordan, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, I'd love to work only 4 months a year. Winter season is 5, summer season is 2.5 so 7 months teaching skiing every year. Please tell me where I can work for 4 months only!!!

In British ski teaching there's a very high incidence of peeps with degrees in other subjects.

Jonny Jones, We do all have to do lots of stuff on psychology, learning methods ......... et al as well as skiing you know. (All countries in Europe).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Sailing? Not a lot of boats on my local council estate. I don't want to start a class war, but..."

Jonny Jones, you need to move north then, our club welcomes anyone and our membership reflects that. All you need is a sense of humour, to be reasonably fit and prepared to get wet! You don't have to own your own boat or wetsuit, bouyancy aid, we have 2 Wayfarers, 2 Dart 16's, 1 laser 3000, 6 toppers, 2 RS fevas, an ISO and 2 Access dinghies for disabled sailors as well as a selection of others owned by club members (a Prindle, lasers, RS300 and a hobbie cat).

If you don't fancy that then you can kayak, canoe or windsurf (and you still don't need your own gear!)
snow conditions
easiski, so I was psychoanalysed? Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, go back 20 years an I think you would have a different take on the matter.

But...IMHO, I can see easily where your perception arises. Ski instructors these days I think have to be well motivated to do what they do as they're (attention all crew, sweeping assumption inbound) either locals who'd have an easier life managing the family property portfolio of non-locals who simply want to be good at what they do.

Easiski?
snow conditions
Nick Zotov, Of course!!!!

David Murdoch, More and more non-locals these days. All non-locals are ski teaching as a career choice, as opposed to the old days, whent he farmers just needed something to do in the winter, to save eating too many of their cows! this is true of the younger French teachers that I know of. Of course we Brits have always had to make this choice. I think the standard is rising all the time, as is the committment.
ski holidays
With my mix of jobs I end up instructing the whole year round. The mainstay of my work is my Personal Training then during the winter months I add ski instruction and for the summer months I run soccer camps (FA football coach).

Does this mean I'm a higher class of instructor who DOES wear shell suits (the football connection and being from Liverpool)? rolling eyes wink Laughing
latest report
Skiing and Piaget and cognitive development.....no doubt the skiing industry will latch onto Vygotsky's 'zone of proximal devlopment' and apply this to an effin' snowplough!
snow report
I know next to nothing about the world of ski instruction, but I imagine that the barriers to entry are higher than for the typical sport taught at the local leisure centre. I'm thinking here of the cost of training, the level of certification required, the cost of equipment and the lack of a year-round income. Many of these factors would also apply to sailing.

Perhaps these conspire to filter out the riff-raff. Not that I'm suggesting that all instructors of other sports are rif-raff, of course... just that there's a noticeably higher instance of the epsilon class in some arenas.
snow report
Most amusing - this thread made me think about PE teachers (both my own and many of the ones I met when was a teacher a few years ago) and I can't say I was overly impressed with their... hmm how can I put this... empathy, understanding, general intelligence and ability to relate to people without the flexing of muscles and the odd grunt. By extension I'd say the same could be applied to other 'sports' instructors, certainly the ones I've met down the local gym.

Now before IncogSkiSno or anyone else gets annoyed I'm more than willing to accept that my experience may very well have been poor and there may be many PE teachers and sports instructors who are witty intelligent and knowledgeable about many subjects (as well as not having 19th century attitudes to gender and other issues), however my direct experience unfortunately leads me to have some sympathy with Jonny Jones' comments and his view that ski instructors are of a higher calibre.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy