Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packable warmest down jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Any suggestion for a warm jacket to keep in the backpack and get out when you are waiting on the cold?
Ideally something puffer than usual Nano air etc

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Acteyrx - ginchy orange thing, can't remember it's name.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops, it's not down, it's fake - I'll bow out and let competent others proceed.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 10-02-20 18:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fake sometimes has a lot to commend it....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lorcar, Do you already own a nano-puff type jacket? Is that why you've ruled them out? Do you want to be able to ski in it? Loads of companies make them, and I don't think there are huge differences when comparing jackets of similar baffle design. The main things that separate them are:
1. fit (a jacket that fits you is always preferable to one that doesn't)
2. price
3. ethical down
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Start here for top end quality/price:
https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/phd-k-series-1000-down-ultimate-warmth-weight-performance?osCsid=n9mvj6n76ol9v3l51tuuj0b0e6

then go here for budget (but still good stuff)
https://www.alpkit.com/products/fantom-mens-down-jacket

I have gear from both - Alpkit is great quality/price tradeoff, and PHD is peak quality.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
fake sometimes has a lot to commend it....

Indeed!
I have another, warmer (other brand name but didn't pay the going rate) jacket that wouldn't fit easily in a backpack. I have a cheapo Trespass one that I scrunch into a ball, pull out, put on. Or, on warmer days, wear as my second layer under a basic shell, or, when it was -25°C was the third layer beneath my ski jacket.
Still love my ginchy orange Acteyrx
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Honestly there are loads of good options out there in a wide range of weights and warmth.
I managed to leave my old one in a hut in the summer and picked up an arcteryx one half price on sports pursuit to replace it
https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/cerium-lt-hoody
Pretty good compromise in packability and warmth for a "keep in your backpack" option.
If I hadn't see the deal on the arcteryx one then I would have gone into a shop and tried various Mountain Equipment and Rab ones - good quality, decent VFM and UK
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a Rab Proton jacket a few weeks ago. Skied in it a bit, packed it in my sack a bit, wore it drinking a lot. Good all-round performer, weighs nothing and a good discount from Go Outdoors at the moment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
arcteryx atom ar , does it all
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a few down jackets, but probably the most packable is the mountain hardwear ghost whisperer, managed to get one on sale for half price last year. Its great for me, but I run warm.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sack the Juggler, Indeed, I have one as well. Probably my most used jacket – for high altitude hikes in summer, as a mid layer on a cold ski day, on the bike in winter or just around town if it's not particularly cold.

But the OP said “not nano” so I was wondering why? I also have a ME Sigma which is super warm and still packs down into a little bag, but it weighs double the Ghost Whisperer and is far too warm to ski in.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks a lot.
I wrote no Nano because I am looking for something warmer and loftier, not to be used as midlayer while skiing, but as a throw in jacket when it's cold and/or you are spending the night on the mountain during a skitour. I was thinking to Patagonia Macro Puff or Rab Neutrino or similar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lorcar, More of a use case for something like the ME Sigma then or what you’ve said. They’ll all be good jackets, so look for something that fits you, at whatever price you want to pay, and comes with a bag or pocket to pack it in to. Jottnar was another brand I looked at, but they cost a bit more than ME. Unfortunately, not many high street stores stock them, so you’ll probably have to take your chances online.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@lorcar, Norrona Lyngen
snow conditions
lorcar wrote:
Thanks a lot.
I wrote no Nano because I am looking for something warmer and loftier, not to be used as midlayer while skiing, but as a throw in jacket when it's cold and/or you are spending the night on the mountain during a skitour. I was thinking to Patagonia Macro Puff or Rab Neutrino or similar.

I have got a Patagonia Fitzroy that I bought for exactly this purpose. Exceptionally warm for its weight and very packable. I got mine on clearance and probably wouldn't have paid full price for it (although the quality is excellent). If I was buying again and restricted to full priced jackets I would find it difficult to find anything better value for money than the Cumulus Neolite Endurance
snow report
lorcar wrote:
Thanks a lot.

You’ll want to look for a jacket made using baffled/boxed wall construction for maximum warmth.

I have a Norrøna Trollveggen 850 down jacket that I use for winter camping or when I know I’m going to be inactive for long periods. It’s really warm and I only use it if it’s below -10c. I got it in the sales (about £200) but will happily buy it again at full price.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/trollveggen/trollveggen-down850-jacket-men/?color=7718
ski holidays
Mountain Equipment Lightline . . . .def warm, packs into small(ish) stuff sack that doesn't take up to much room . . .

http://youtube.com/v/hUrfNcra2Eg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy