Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm not sure I actually enjoy skiing!

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just get a snowboard
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hang11 wrote:
Just get a snowboard

Steady on, let's not be hasty Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have read the OP, but to be honest the rest I skimmed over. I do not think there is any time I have ever thought I do not enjoy skiing. There have been times when I have questioned whether I should be skiing in the conditions (-40c wind chill, complete white out conditions, very bare pistes due to early season or Scottish pistes)

I have also had times with bad hangover at NY, extreme Apres ski until 5-6am in techno discos, but that is more to do with whether I should continue drinking alochol rather than skiing.

I think if you are questioning whether you enjoy skiing, it is clear it may not be for you!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, the music is a good point. I've skied all week with music which has been a help. I sing out loud as I ski which also helps people give me space!

I was crossing on the 3k connection at the start of the morning today to the Kitzsteinhorn and heard the feared 'Battery low. Powering off'. No music had a big impact. By the end of the day I had made my own song up called 'Where is the bottom, I don't want to ski anymore.'!

I'm not skiing on Friday, I actually screwed up the ski booking and the day I arrived was counted as a hire day. My plan on Friday is gondola up to the Schmitten for a lunch and schnapps and enjoy the scenery without the pressure of skiing.

I also take on the points about spending more time on a run. I realise now I have the mindset of 'I am at the top, I must get to the bottom.' when it should be 'How much fun can I have on the way down?'

I did do private instruction once before (years ago), but it was a really bad experience with a crusty old French instructor who insisted on stopping every other run for a Schnapps. I might try again and make sure to ask for either an English speaking instructor or a British one. I like my Scottish humour and it doesn't translate well to non-native speakers. The waiter had set my table for one at dinner for two people on the third night. He was apologetic and I cracked a joke, laughing, about him making me rethink my life choices, which he didn't get and thought I was complaining! Doh! (or maybe I'm crap at making jokes!).

I'm charging up the earphones tonight though. I need my 80s action movie soundtracks!

Thanks for the tips folks!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I think if you are questioning whether you enjoy skiing, it is clear it may not be for you!

That's a bit "black and white". I suspect that most of us have had "I really don't like this" moments at times. I've had plenty. Someone back up early in this thread suggested that skiing can be a "banging your head against a brick wall" activity - nice when you stop. I concur with that and it's very much the same with sailing. When you've been battling difficult, even scary, and certainly uncomfortable, conditions for some hours, it is extremely rewarding to be able to put on dry clothes, make a cup of tea, or pour a glass of whisky, and congratulate yourself on surviving. those small pleasures are overwhelming!

I don't knock sitting in a comfy chair with a good book - I spent hours every week doing just that. But it doesn't give you the same fantastic feeling when you stop!! As you get older, and iller, of course, you need to come to terms with the need to do things differently. Small challenges will do me, nowadays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fitness is certainly a factor. Many years ago I was really overweight. While I’m a technically a very good skier (though I say so myself) at my heaviest, I found I wasn’t enjoying it anywhere as much as I felt I should. It was a bother getting kitted out, walking up to the lifts, standing around on the piste etc.
Then I got sick. Really sick. Long story short, I lost 4 stone and as part of my rehabilitation I bought a bike.
The following year, while part of it was just being glad to be there, it was a completely different experience. I loved it again.
I also hate the faux competition element. As a diver too, I see some of that focus on deeper=better and strongly dislike it.
For many many years we skied as a group but sat squarely in the middle of our comfort zone.
We lived by the mantra on our ski days: ski one run harder than you think you can and finish one run sooner than you think you should. It worked, and by that mantra we never had an accident (other than by others skiing into one of us)
Enjoy your trips, go with the flow and maybe mention to your wife that the post-mortem is annoying you. Maybe between the two of you, you can steer the chat to a more enjoyable subject.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, all those earlier in the thread in Feb 2020 who suggested taking a little break - how did that work out? Very Happy

@Kilm, sorry you had a bad instructor experience. I’d like to think it was an exception than a norm. Most of my bad instructors were in France, but one of my best (in Canada) was French. Do try again. Good luck!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is interesting how the experience of skiing is so different, I don't mind, occasionally skiing on my own for a few hours or even a whole day but much prefer to ski with others, looking at better skiers for inspiration and drawing satisfaction from being able to ski better than some others.

After 37 years of skiing, I'm also not sure how much I enjoy it anymore, the bigger problem is that I'm not sure how much I enjoy anything anymore.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go get some Telemark kit ..

Thank me later ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the bigger problem is that I'm not sure how much I enjoy anything anymore.

Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One needs to become less ambitious, @tangowaggon. I can get quite excited these days about going to bed with two hot water bottles and the latest edition of "The Archers". Dum-tee-dum-tee-dum-tee-dum
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having two sheds is a source of excitement to me.

I still like skiing but find paying the bill increasingly tedious.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I only really like it if the sun's out, bluebird day, bit of squeaky snow on piste and no-one behind me. But it's so random isn't it, you know, you book ahead for a few days not knowing what you'll end up with. The guy who said there's no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing, is a masochist. I walk paths and trails a lot. There's no pleasure in battling head down against horizontal rain, even with full goretex (got all that). Same in a whiteout imv. Can't see the bumps, wonder what the hell you're doing it for, technique gone to pot. But on those days you get lucky, it's great isn't it. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kilm wrote:
Bit of a thread resurrect but this is what got me to join the site after lurking for ages.

I'm currently in Zell Am See. Been here since Saturday, skied every day. Hopped over to Kaprun today as well.

I'm... Just not enjoying any of it. Been skiing one week a year with in between dry ski since 2009, and been to France, Italy, Switzerland and Austria which is my favourite.

I just can't find any love for it anymore. I solo ski, I have no friends who ski and I don't like group skiing due to the pressure it puts on people. So I ski, stop for a bit at the side when my calves are on fire, ski for a bit, have some hot chocolate or Gluwhein, ski for a bit.....

I'm not entirely sure I'll ski again after this. Not sure what to do. Though actually I think it's probably more that I'm lonely than anything and I wonder if being in an environment with lots of people having fun together is reinforcing that.

I've tried group skiing though and I absolutely hated it.

I think another issue is the 'You've hired it, you need to use it's mentality. I'd much prefer to hire by the hour or something. I'd probably feel a lot less pressure then to get my monies worth!

I'm intrigued by this "group skiing" shit, what's that about? If you have no friends who ski you find friends through skiing. Do you have difficulty in general making friends or being in group situations? It's not bad, if you do but just might explain things a little.

That said, even though I've not skied solo much I've bloody loved it when I have. But it doesn't work for evening time or for off piste. And actually after a spin on my own I am usually glad for the company again.

I definitely had a couple of rough times in terms of enjoyment of skiing in general. I guess a bit of plateauing and going through the motions a bit. But again it didn't linger.

Find it strange you've been doing it regular since 2009 and now have an issue. I've known people that are very take it or leave it.

I'm coming back to that group thing.

Also do you enjoy other sports? How did you get into skiing?
ski holidays
I've been skiing 50 years, now in my 70's. My husband gave up skiing 20 years back, so I've done a fair amount of skiing alone. There have been years I met up with friends on the hill and years it's truly been just me, day after day. I find the ideal condition to be skiing with just one other person who likes the same terrain as you, but is not trying to rack up mileage or reach some goal. I also like empty slopes. I'll move around the resort as groups start impinging on my "private turf". Dodging bodies, waiting in liftlines, "competing" (even when it's subtle), all interfere with my "Zen". I just want to enjoy the carve and the views and the fresh air.

There were periods when I was notching new areas, racking up vert, making sure I kept trying new trails, challenging myself, but really do I want to wake up feeling like it's work? Or feeling freedom? These days it's peace and freedom and escape I want.
snow conditions
There were times yesterday when I wondered if I was enjoying skiing. Flat light, ice, sometimes after a loose covering of snow, and, a couple of times hail stretched enjoyment somewhat. OTOH, there was a sadistic pleasure in coping with the conditions, and, weirdly, it was part of the fun talking about it with friends in the evening.
snow report
If I got on the hill and the condition is so poor that I don’t enjoy it, I leave!

Life is too short to stuck to one thing.

Of course I have the ‘luxury’ of a multi-mountain season pass. So there’s no extra cost each day I ski, or not ski!

2 days ago, I was on the hill. The top lift wasn’t open. So the runs I want to ski wasn’t accessible. I found some decent ones lower down. But not enough to hold me for the entire day (besides, my legs were burning as I was a bit out of shape due to prior injuries). I left an hour before the lift closes, which many of you probably considered a big waste. Toofy Grin

Yesterday, the same top lift was on hold again! Instead of cruising aimlessly through the day on the hill, I went to a hot spring to soak my tired legs. Much more enjoyable. Laughing

If skiing isn’t enjoyable. Stop. End of story.
ski holidays
Splitboard

Big walk

Good tunes

Flask of tea

Bag of weed

3 day supply of clif bars

Happy place Very Happy
snow conditions
abc, of course those of us with our own pad and a season pass have the luxury of not going skiing - by now we are skiing for free: La Plagne season pass this year only cost a week and half of standard tarif. Very different if you are only out for a week.

And skiing is not for everone. Some (many?) are doing it reluctantly. Dragged along by partner or family. We have a friend who actually hates skiing, but she keeps forgetting. And she is seduced again and again by the "idea". Her friends go skiing, so she goes along too. She doesn't want to miss out. The resort, the snow, the outfits, the atmosphere: so exciting. A morning on a green slope in the sunshine almost fun. But then the visibility reduces or there's a steep bit and the terror and ranting begins.

If you don't enjoy it do something else instead. Try scuba diving, paddle boarding, hiking - so many other ways to enjoy the outdoors.

Today we are going walking in the forest.
ski holidays
Sitting in my flat watching the rain on the webcam. We may go out for lunch if it clears up, otherwise nope. Fair weather skiers and happy with that. I was out for 5 weeks in jan/feb and for various reasons none of my usual gang could come out so I was on my own. Luckily I have friends here but they work so not always around; I met some new people to ski with and did so a few times. I went out on my own a couple of times and really didn't enjoy it. I discovered that I'm pretty rubbish on my own....I wouldn't do anything at all. It's all about the company.
snow conditions
Interestingly, today has been so far, a bit of a revelation.

Raining at ground, heavy snow, wind, and crap visibility up top and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm laughing and whooping down, can't see a thing in front of me slope wise. I have my music today having charged up and I'm singing along to my 80s action movie tracks.

It's quiet because people aren't coming out for it, and the chairlift on this run has just shut due to wind, so I'm schnapps and hot chocolate before 10am.

I remember in Alpbach one year, the best day I had was deep snow and poor visibility.

I think I've found what works for me.....!
snow conditions
Back in the day (90s) - it was a 'first lift/last' lift ski lifestyle. Now (that I'm 52) and we are a family of 4 it's more of a 'what time do we need to get out to avoid crowds/ski school' and 'let's ski over lunch to avoid crowds' mentality. I guess a bit more thinking/planning takes some of the fun out of it.

My husband jokes that I expect full value for money. So, when he chips off with my son at 4pm, I carry on with my other son for another hour. My feeling is that our skiing amounts to 6 days a year so need get get my fill. I'd never dream of having a day off, unless the weather made it so.

Saying that, I've noticed that as I've got older (and kids have got faster) that I've killed my speed a bit and am more cautious. There was a red this year that I went down with the kids and it was so hard packed/icy that I tensed up solid and shot from the right side to left (luckily there was no-one else on it - a sign?) and that knocked my confidence a bit. Perhaps I should have floored it down in a straight line to get through it like the kids, but just worried about falling at speed. I also found that I was humming 'Bella Ciao' (Money Heist) a lot when I felt a bit nervous......

It doesn't help that we tend to have to go in Feb half term (we will go at Easter when possible) - I tend to wait for gaps in crowds as prefer the space to do what I want and when. We were in the Grand Massif this Feb with Paris week and when things got busy (pinchpoints/return times) it was really no fun.....but we knew we just had to get through it and it came with the territory. I think I'd probably ski less hours in the day if the pistes were empty and lift queues non existent!

While I really enjoy skiing - I always get the 'GroundHog Day' feeling mid week which is a shame. Luckily it doesn't put me off. Day 1 and 2 tend to be exciting and confident, by day 3 there are subtle thigh cramps and knee swelling (at this time I suggest we ski around to all the snow parks for the kids to throw themselves around and I'll video), day 4 and 5 the stiffness kicks in and we're no longer out at 9.30am but more like 10am and the last day is about having fun but mindful of not getting injured.

I certainly look at people who ski quite fast and can nip in and out and wish. Just know that won't be/isn't me. I need to ski how I want to be able to enjoy the holiday - and at times have to remember that I control my skis not the other way round!

In a perfect world it would be a 10 day holiday with 7 days spent skiing - just not possible/affordable for us in school hols.
ski holidays
@Kilm, glad you had a great time!

Sounds like people are not for you. Toofy Grin

I've found myself not enjoying skiing sometimes over the last couple of years, and I'm wondering how much the conditions have had to do with it. For some miraculous reason, for the first few years we skied there was a load of snow when we went always - or sunny slush - and I can't remember having to deal with proper ice. This season and last has been icy as all hell where we've been and like @kettonskimum I'm tensing up all over runs that would previously have been no problem.

I'm not a 'fast fast fast' ski first to last type anyway, but it's become more of a chore in some conditions. I keep having lessons to get new techniques to deal with the conditions, but still wouldn't say it's always fun, it's just getting down in a reasonable fashion! However, when it's a good day it's the most fun, so I can't think of giving up!

Also had a go at snow shoeing and xc skiing this season and that's been really fun - a different way to spend time on the mountain and a break from the busy pistes.
ski holidays
Quote:

While I really enjoy skiing - I always get the 'GroundHog Day' feeling mid week which is a shame.

I've never understood what "groundhog day" means and am even more confused by this morning's headlines accusing the Government of a "groundhog day" plan for stopping small boats.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've never understood what "groundhog day" means

In simple terms, I guess it means 'more of exactly the same'. For me and skiing that means:

Alarm goes off at 8am
I get up, put the coffee on, get dressed and go to get some baguettes
Return - get hubby and kids up
Drink coffee - look at piste map
Get dressed, go to ski lockers, help son with boots that always never seem to fit
Trudge to piste (thankfully not too far away)

Obviously the days are different themselves....and at night I vary starting with vodka/beer/wine to mix things up before cooking dinner.......nice meal, film on, fall asleep watching film.

I suppose for me, it's the initial first 2 hours of the day that's practically an exact blueprint for 6 days - starts to do my head in after 3 days.....

As for the Government.....I guess the meaning is more of doing and saying the same thing over and over. Assume you haven't watched the film Groundhog Day @pam w?
snow conditions
Quote:

While I really enjoy skiing - I always get the 'GroundHog Day' feeling mid week which is a shame.

That was always the thing I liked about the lift ticket system in the US and CAN - you get a day off if you want - so a 6-day pass valid for 7 days, so you can jump off the treadmill and do whatever - bit of snowshoeing, sledding, local mooching about or just relax... You can take the day and not feel like you're losing out, or if you want to get out and up the hill you can just buy a 1-day filler pass.
ski holidays
It's 1128hrs and I'm back at the hotel. I've had some really enjoyable runs this morning as mentioned. The conditions however have got worse and the pistes are full of clumpy lumps or deep snow which is dragging at my skis, and I've not found the conditions improving. So I've skied down to the gondola and hopped on, and I'm actually really content and happy with my day. The guilt of not using the whole day isn't there, and I think I just need to get over the 'Ski until last lift' mentality.

Now going to go hit the spa and wander the village afterwards.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Golly, @kettonskimum, I can quite see why you get that feeling. There's no way I'd have tolerated being expected to be the family's breakfast skivvy 7 days a week. I also get the impression from your many helpful posts on SHs that you are the main logistics organiser for your family trips.
snow report
@Kilm, download, spa, have a wander - we could all enjoy more of that I reckon! Have a marvellous afternoon! snowHead

@kettonskimum, maybe not of any interest, but in a couple of weeks I'm off on a women only intensive ski course, where the whole approach seems to be everything is done for you, so all you have to think about is yourself and your skiing! I'm intrigued to see whether taking the pressure off absolutely everything else, right down to who is getting up to make the coffee, might take the pressure off the skiing a bit! Smile
ski holidays
@ElzP, if someone else doesn't make the coffee at my place then there's no coffee
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Laughing Husband and I have a running battle over who gets up to make the coffee. It's usually down to who has the strongest bladder control. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@pam w, ha ha - I don't mind the walk to get baguettes as quite nice to mix in with the locals. And luckily, breakfast is only a coffee for me/hubby/son (other son might have a glass of juice that he gets himself) and perhaps a couple of pastries, also from the bakery. So no real hardship...but can feel repetitive.

And yes, I work part-time, so have many hats back home (housekeeper/chef/logistics/admin manager etc). We are lucky enough to go to France in winter and summer (and sometimes a UK break in Oct) and I love throwing myself into the planning (almost really to the n'th degree)......and try and share any knowledge I glean! I don't plan out what we are doing what day per se, just what's available to us and where at the time we are going, so that we can have a fab experience and I don't need to do the work when there. Maybe just a FOMO (fear of missing out)?

I do really like finding 'those' places that only the French know about.....for example this year, travelling down, we stayed in the Relax Hotel, Maillat (way off the beaten track of people staying in Bourg En Bresse etc but only a stones throw from the motorway). First time and took a bit of finding a good (budget) place in a good location. Trouble is Tripadvisor paints a bad picture about the lady who owns it (quite rude apparently) but for me it's about a safe hotel/car park in good location with comfy beds and hot shower.

The reality is it was lovely (we were the only Brit car out of 40 in the car park), the lady had no charm but room was fine and no issues. We walked to the nearest restaurant which was a locals/truckers restaurant. They couldn't speak English, which is fine as my French is pretty good. But I kept hearing the kitchen staff whispering that we were Americans and the kids said they kept taking sneaky pics of us on their phones (trust me, we are not the Kardashians!)....and we mucked in with the truckers. It was fabulous and truly makes for part of the overall holiday! Love finding those sorts of places!
ski holidays
Quote:

if someone else doesn't make the coffee at my place then there's no coffee

Laughing At our apartment the nearest fresh baguettes were too far away to be out getting them at 8am. We typically had toast and coffee. We both regularly made coffee - but my OH always brought me a mug of tea in bed first thing!

Your course sounds interesting, @ElzP, do write it up for us. I think they're a good idea.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've never understood what "groundhog day" means and am even more confused by this morning's headlines accusing the Government of a "groundhog day" plan for stopping small boats.

Movie where the protagonist wakes up every morning and it's the same day over and over again. You could have just googled it.
latest report
I did google it. rolling eyes Still couldn't make sense of what it meant in the context as what I read wasn't just about the movie. Which is just one aspect of a cultural "thing" which has been around a lot longer. But the more helpful response from @kettonskimum, made it clear, though presumably whether a groundhog day is pleasant or unpleasant depends...... I can think of some days I'd be happy to repeat!
snow report
Not forgetting that it IS a recognised day in the USA and Canada (and the film bases itself on this idea):

Groundhog Day is a popular North American tradition observed in the United States and Canada on February 2 of every year starting in the 16th century. It derives from the Pennsylvania Dutch superstition that if a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day and sees its shadow, it will retreat to its den and winter will go on for six more weeks; if it does not see its shadow, spring will arrive early. This is often due to the weather being cloudy or clear allowing for the groundhog to actually have a shadow or not.
snow conditions
We all have off days.
Even in a group I like to have a chilled ski on my own on terrain I want to pick.
Some days putting on all the kit seems like a royal pain in the arrse.
Some days I ski ragged with all the prowess of a first timer and it doesn't quite fit together.
It is human nature.

Then there are the good days - where it is the most rewarding pastime in the world and even a seat on the terrace watching the world and the magical scenery go by is the greatest thing.

The best points above are all advising to remember it is a holiday - if it all seems a bit overwhelming have a day off skis and chill, or have the ubiquitous and quite empowering "greens and blues day". Some days, no matter your ability, you just want to diddle about and smile and breathe in the air
latest report
@pam w, will do! I already have pre-course material - some physical exercises (focusing on balance and feet) and some mental (visualisations) - I think it's called a holistic approach. Very Happy
snow report
@Yellow Snow, beautifully put!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy