Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How tight should ski boots be..?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My boots (Lange XC) are customer fitted and comfortably tight however I find I can move my foot a little side to side in the foot box. Not a lot but I find I keep tightening the buckles through the day to help me control the ski tips if that makes sense.

They were custom fitted by James at Outdoor Traders, sadly no longer open, and I wear the same Falke socks worn for fitting so I’m confident they where fitted correctly. I’ve skied 3 weeks in resorts plus another 10 days or so on dry and fridge slopes in the 4 years I have them so not a huge amount.

My first and only fitted boots so I wondered if this normal for fitting?, are they too wide or packed down?, or is this ok and just my bad skiing technique?

Thanks Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it's a personal thing, much like "you're hungry, how much do you eat?" If you're not full up, eat some more, if you're too full up, give it a rest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rusco, reading around your previous posts you've described yourself as an early intermediate with maybe 6 weeks of skiing now (maybe 3 weeks when you got the boots?) and the reason you got your own boots was because you felt your feet kept wriggling about too much in the hire boots you'd used before.

It's impossible to know what's going on but I would suspect your boots will be a comfort fit rather than performance fit so some level of foot movement in the boots is probably to be expected. It's not uncommon for skiers to tighten up their buckles during the day.

I also suspect that technique might be playing a role here. I think you'll find that as you get better and ski with stronger and more dynamic movements you can actually ski pretty well in loose boots as you're much less dependent on using the foot to control the skis.

It sounds to me as if your boots should be fine for where you are at the moment but keep up the lessons.

I don't think the Lange XC is a narrow fit boot so of course consider going to see a boot fitter if you prefer a tighter fit as they should be able to give you some decent advice on the fit and maybe sort something out to help.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should there be any side to side movement? That is very noticeable when skiing.

I got Salomon X-PRO boots custom fitted (heated shells and liners) by a now defunct shop, without knowing anything about this, and a few years later, when I finally decided to find out why the skis would wobble anytime I was going in a straight line, this was discovered. Removing that gap solved that right away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
olderscot wrote:
@Rusco, reading around your previous posts you've described yourself as an early intermediate with maybe 6 weeks of skiing now (maybe 3 weeks when you got the boots?) and the reason you got your own boots was because you felt your feet kept wriggling about too much in the hire boots you'd used before.

It's impossible to know what's going on but I would suspect your boots will be a comfort fit rather than performance fit so some level of foot movement in the boots is probably to be expected. It's not uncommon for skiers to tighten up their buckles during the day.

I also suspect that technique might be playing a role here. I think you'll find that as you get better and ski with stronger and more dynamic movements you can actually ski pretty well in loose boots as you're much less dependent on using the foot to control the skis.

It sounds to me as if your boots should be fine for where you are at the moment but keep up the lessons.

I don't think the Lange XC is a narrow fit boot so of course consider going to see a boot fitter if you prefer a tighter fit as they should be able to give you some decent advice on the fit and maybe sort something out to help.

Thank you for the replies.

Thanks Olderscot for taking the time to read my previous posts!, yes that’s pretty accurate I guess on me and helpful advice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know that I hate any loose feeling in my boots, it's why when I got my 98mm last piste boots I went straight for a foam liner, I am now on my 3rd liner in them, I get approx 120 days skiing before the liner packs down enough to really notice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa wrote:
I know that I hate any loose feeling in my boots, it's why when I got my 98mm last piste boots I went straight for a foam liner, I am now on my 3rd liner in them, I get approx 120 days skiing before the liner packs down enough to really notice.

I couldn't agree more. I'd say advanced skiers should definitely be aiming for a good performance fit.

In the case of someone relatively new to the sport who has a pair of custom boots fitted by a proper boot fitter and who's main symptom is having to tighten the boots during the day to control the ski tips I suspect it's more a case of technique rather than the boots. That doesn't mean the boots are perfect, so there's always the option of getting them looked at.

PS. If I were a ski instructor, which I'm not, I'd be looking at how well Rusco is keeping his weight forward and pressuring the front of the boot with his shin. If you can do that I suspect you're unlikely to have any problems with keeping the ski tips under control.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy