Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base layer recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Hope you’re having a fab Friday.
Gearing up towards the eosb, and checking all my equipment is ready to go. I have some ice breaker merino wool thermals- however I find that I actually get too hot and sweaty. I know I still need a base layer of some description (doesn’t need to be thermals), so I’m just wondering if you guys have any suggestions?
Say hi if you’re going to the eosb!! see you on the slopes!
Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could swap them for a lighter weight merino, or a synthetic base layer, or even just a wicking sports t-shirt if it’s very warm. What else would you be wearing over them?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, Many thanks for your reply.
I used to wear a mountain warehouse fleece (maybe that’s the issue haha), definitely need to get a new mid layer too..
are under armour any good?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you wear a jacket as well as the fleece? Insulated or not? Personally, I’d keep the merino and ditch the fleece.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, at the EoSB, it can be very warm, but some years it has been very cold (four layers including a down jacket cold), so you may well be glad of a decent warm base.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layers. Which start, in my book, with a tightish fitting vest or t shirt (also often known as a cheap base layer, leotard or non-cotton top with the sleeves cut off).
If necessary, add a long-sleeved round or zip-neck top (not cotton).
If cold, add fleece jacket.
Top off with usual ski/board jacket, either 'shell only' or with mild insulation.
Legs: 1-3 layers of wooly or stretch tights/leggings and selected trousers.
That's me sorted +10 to -25... Smile
If it's really warm I'll go for fleece or a softshell jacket with t shirt, never bare arms.
Rest of temperature is regulated by adding or not wearing various gloves, buffs, scarves, head coverings.
Also on the EoSB: but hoping that there's a few more outings to gear up for in the meantime snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have burton lightweight, midweight & heavyweight layers.
Baselayer IMO is the most important layer, as it needs to wicking technology to keep you comfortable.
I use a shell outer & once I have chosen my baselayer, I dress appropriately with my mid layers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patagonia capilene base layers come in 4 weights. They are anti-odour treated so you don’t stink and wick better than merino. They last for ages too. Highly recommended. (I just checked. They used to be made in 4 weights, that looks like it’s changed - a haven’t bought one for 5 or 6 years now.)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have a local one (or take a punt online,), head for Decathlon - darn sight cheaper! If not, Aldi (if anything's in or online still).
Sorry, chaps & chapesses, but I really hate paying for high end brand names, and think that a £3.99 (non cotton) top will do you
- and wick for you - just as well if the fit's good. Never had a problem in over 20 years of various recreational amateur snow and hill and mountain activities, nor indoor sweaty sports.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy