Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift etiquette

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
@holidayloverxx, you wouldn't want moi either!

Ah well...it was closer Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the Sella Ronda motorway last week there seemed to be a lot of carelessness around chairlifts. Often the end gates are not in line with the seating - more than once I had to "encourage" my neighbour to move across into their lane so I was able to sit on the chair. If I got there first I'd plant my poles just outside my skis to keep others' skis in their own lane. There was one instance however where the guy next to me spread his skis into a snow plough on top of my ski while about to get on the chair Evil or Very Mad. The normal result of this is painful twisting of my knee so I instinctively put my hand onto his back (there was no time for polite discussion) unfortunately resulting in his being unable to get on the chair but saving me from potential injury.

Sitter wrote:
People who insist on going in to a massive snowplough the second they stand up to get off a chair. Also, people who insist on using their poles to push themselves away as they get off the chair, planting them right between my skis/the other side of my skis.

I also experienced variations on that theme and concluded it's generally safer to be the first to exit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I invariably remain on the chair until it effectively stands me upright. The delay gives my wife more time to come off the chair my way, away from the richard who invariably cuts her up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pick a Chairlift with a big queue, at the bottom of an icy slope.

Skid in too fast knocking down as many people as possible, using the domino effect.

While they're picking themselves up, push past as many as possible. You have elbows and ski poles, so use them to good effect.

Go to the express entrance that you aren't entitled to use, triggering an annoying beeping alarm - where the attendant will let you through, due to the chaos behind you.

As you pole towards the chair, make sure one of your ski poles gets stuck in the ground and left behind, causing chaos as you try to retrieve it.

Sit down between seats, adding to the discomfort to your fellow passengers.

Pull the bar down too early, hitting someone on the head and trapping ski poles and/or clothing of fellow skiers underneath it - then turn up the music in your earphones while placing skis on the footrest, to make sure you can't hear any complaints and they can't remove any trapped item.

Insist on lifting bar up far too early and shuffle to edge of seat.

When it's time to disembark, put skis in a wide snowplough and turn across your fellow passengers. This gives the highest chance of taking out the most people.

When you come to a halt, do so in a place that blocks the people on the next chair from an easy exit.

Blame everybody else (in a loud voice) for any ensuing fallout and the lift having to be stopped.

Ski down the slope in an uncontrolled series of skids, while bent forward at the waist - then rinse and repeat.

rolling eyes

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-02-20 19:57; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yesterday, had people "encouraging" me to move over 1 place when sliding forward, on a chair that would be fully filled. Encouraged them back, only for them to try to force me over one more place again. I won. The pillocks then tried to "encourage" me out of the way on disemabarkation too. Again, I won.

One more push, and I'd have had them on the floor and the chair stopped so we could fit 4 sH in the 4 left most seats, not 4 sH in the 3 left most seats.

And on the chair behind was one of those cases where it was sit-slam, bar down before everyone had even managed to sit down properly.

sH 2 - imbecles 0

Plus of course the usual cases of people that are too scared to be away from their friends for 3 minutes of a holiday when they are in each others' company 24/7 for a week. Proper holiday spoiling that is if you can't get on the same chair as your friends.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, so you've been watching me then...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lift lines in most European resorts are not well managed. I agree with the original poster.
The way people are corralled from a large group through the turnstile bottlenecks is also very chaotic. If there were lines, ropes, and a lift attendant arranging people into groups of 4/6/8, it would be much more orderly. Instead, people get very pushy and aggressive. People also get separated from the rest of their group, which causes more chaos after the turnstiles, which in turn contributes to the original problem of partially filled chairs.

North American resorts generally handle lift lines much better. The solution would seem to be fairly straight forward.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last week there seemed to be a lot of chairs where snowboarders refused to share with skiers, dunno if that's an Aussie/American thing. Also snowboarders seemed keen to have 2 per 4 man chair despite a fair queue. I know it's more uncomfortable for them if the chair is full, but that's the bed they've chosen to sleep in Laughing

achilles wrote:
Crikey guys. Most of us are on holiday. Relax. Be tolerant - and happy.

We're on holiday so we should be accepting of ignorant, selfish people? No thanks, I subscribe to the "we're on holiday so don't be a c***" side of things.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jirac18 wrote:
Do you think it’s a British thing to get wound up about these things as certainly the french are a touch more laissez faire? We do love a good functional queue.

Americans are bothered by it too. And at least some of the Germans I've skied with. Anecdotally, the worst lift line etiquette I have observed has been in Austria. I would not have expected that before visiting. But it has now been confirmed over numerous trips.

As others have mentioned, in NA they pay an extra lift attendant to organize the lift lines (they did this even 20 years ago when lift tickets were affordable). But they are only needed during the busiest hours. And it's worth it! People are more relaxed and less aggressive. And fewer chairlift seats go unfilled so lift lines move a little quicker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
People pushing is my only real issue on lifts, why they feel the need to annoy fellow users so much to gain one place is beyond me.

In Megeve a few years ago I happened to point out to a guy that he was quite rude pushing past me and others, he was around late 50's and asked me if I wanted a fight.

I do like the singles line in America though, a good way to fill up the spare seats.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Andorra our resident British instructor told us "Ski like you mean it - queue like you mean it". No need for starting fights or treading on skis, but if you hang back waiting to be polite, you'll never get on.

I queue differently in Canada Smile When in Rome...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
People in cable cars who seem to be blind when it comes to small children and end up jamming them against the walls and windows.

Thanks to evolution my kids have now developed very pointy elbows....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marodo2712 wrote:

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I was skiing with @Old Fartbag last week. I'm hoping it wasn't me he was talking about...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I was skiing with @Old Fartbag last week. I'm hoping it wasn't me he was talking about

It was, it was...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not having a singles lanes - should be mandatory.

People getting in line then letting lifts go empty to let their girlfriend catchup.

People using the gondola as an excuse to have a good old look at a stranger and judge them.

People having a good old whisper and a snigger to themselves on the gondola/ generally acting like they are the only ones there or somehow invisible.

People not making space on the gondola or trying to discourage sharing.

Bringing out some disgusting hip flask that reeks.

Lifting up the bar while there's still a 50ft drop below.

Anyone who does anything that means a chairlift or gondola has to be stopped for non- procedural, weather, or mechanical reasons should be taken out back and shot. Especially the banterboys who think it's great banter they weren't able to open the bar in time to dismount.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 11-02-20 11:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
People who don't quite line themselves up properly such that they end up straddling the bit of the bar that hits the seat - half sitting on my lap, with one ski on "my" side of the footrest...
latest report
Alastair wrote:
marodo2712 wrote:

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I was skiing with @Old Fartbag last week. I'm hoping it wasn't me he was talking about...

Aside from the strong Right Hand turning signal you made (so we knew where you were going), that nearly knocked a fellow out - your manners were impeccable. Toofy Grin
snow report
IanTr wrote:
People who don't quite line themselves up properly such that they end up straddling the bit of the bar that hits the seat - half sitting on my lap, with one ski on "my" side of the footrest...

Never seen that in 30 years of skiing
snow conditions
"It is infuriating when at the back of a 10 minute queue to see an eight seater occupied over and over again by 2 - 6 people. The only valid excuse is for young children who need to be with an adult."

This is because most people are in a group and they wait for the rest of their group to line up, so they can chit chat on the lift.
snow report
...anyone mentioned back packs yet.
Take them off and put them by your feet in a gondola, if they're in my face, I will just undo all the zips and not tell you.
Take them off and put them on your lap on a chairlift, or does carrying them make people blind to the signs saying to take them off?
Never really got why people carry all that stuff anyway.
Everything I carry fits easily in my pockets: Car key, id card, cash, credit card, lippy/sunblock, lift pass, iphone & ray-bans.
ski holidays
Quote:

Everything I carry fits easily in my pockets: Car key, id card, cash, credit card, lippy/sunblock, lift pass, iphone & ray-bans.

Spare goggles, gloves, socks. Extra layer, water, glasses in case, phone charger.

Banana.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-02-20 12:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Shovel, probe, first aid etc. Depends on what you're doing.
snow report
On the flip side to empty seats with a long queue, are people who insist in cramming in and filling the seats on a lift I'm getting on when there is no queue at all, rather than waiting 5 seconds for the next one.

Even worse if they then get out a cigarette, play music, and/or all the other anti-social stuff mentioned above
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
marodo2712 wrote:

Aside from the splendidly robust Right Hand turning signal you made (so we knew where you were going), that nearly knocked a fellow out - your manners were impeccable. Toofy Grin
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
IanTr wrote:

Like the guy in blue in this pic. It's ok when there are just two of you on a four person chair, but a pain on a full chair when the person at one end mistakenly decides that the vertical bar goes between their knees.

https://www.glacier3000.ch/en/excursions/activities/ice-express-chairlift
snow conditions
@IanTr, yeah, I do that all the time when its only me or someone I know, but not when the chair is full!
latest report
Personally I like to have the chairlift to myself, then there's no worries about annoying others with my phonecalls, music and bar-straddling...
So I tend to make a Goan egg curry every night, keep my trousers and jacket loose (windproof fabrics are far too effective nowadays), and waftily let fly at the appropriate moment. Only the most anosmic would brave the resultant stench of putrescine and hydrogen telluride!
Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

People using the gondola as an excuse to have a good old look at a stranger and judge them

Do you often feel that people are judging you? Why do you think they would care? If your fellow travellers are talking in a language you don't understand, do you assume they are talking about you? Have you tried counselling?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps he’s the type who shouts “what are you looking at?” ......gotta look somewhere mate. Personally I find people watching fascinating. You never know what you might learn or be entertained by.

I was on a lift recently in Sauze with three Italians who were having convo in Italian as you would expect only every now and then one of them would full on swear in English. It was hilarious. It became a bit of a standing joke the rest of the holiday.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
...anyone mentioned back packs yet.
Take them off and put them by your feet in a gondola, if they're in my face, I will just undo all the zips and not tell you.
Take them off and put them on your lap on a chairlift, or does carrying them make people blind to the signs saying to take them off?
Never really got why people carry all that stuff anyway.

Yes, lets encourage people to ski without appropriate safety equipment. Nothing wrong with keeping your backpack on.
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
On the flip side to empty seats with a long queue, are people who insist in cramming in and filling the seats on a lift I'm getting on when there is no queue at all, rather than waiting 5 seconds for the next one.

Try that and just watch a group of school kids appear from behind out of nowhere.

You dont own the gondola. Its for sharing - other people paid for their pass too. If there's a free space it's fair game and you're in the wrong for thinking you have some kind of squatters rights.
snow conditions
Ionizingskin wrote:
Nothing wrong with keeping your backpack on.

Because the lifties stop the lift while you take it off - this holds up everybody else.
It's great you want to take your ice axe and full avvy gear while cruising round the blue runs in Les Gets, don't let me dissuade you, but just take your back pack off on lifts as it inconveniences everybody else when you do not.
ski holidays
IanTr wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
IanTr wrote:

Like the guy in blue in this pic. It's ok when there are just two of you on a four person chair, but a pain on a full chair when the person at one end mistakenly decides that the vertical bar goes between their knees.

https://www.glacier3000.ch/en/excursions/activities/ice-express-chairlift

.....his bigger issue is his lack of skis
latest report
Quote:

Ionizingskin wrote:

Because the lifties stop the lift while you take it off - this holds up everybody else.
It's great you want to take your ice axe and full avvy gear while cruising round the blue runs in Les Gets, don't let me dissuade you, but just take your back pack off on lifts as it inconveniences everybody else when you do not.

Not where I ski. I wear a fairly low profile backpack and I never take it off for chairlifts, have never been asked to and have never had the lift stopped for it
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Alastair wrote:
marodo2712 wrote:

Aside from the splendidly robust Right Hand turning signal you made (so we knew where you were going), that nearly knocked a fellow out - your manners were impeccable. Toofy Grin

I was downhill and therefore I had right of way. Not my fault if he decided to put his face where I planned to put my signalling fist Embarassed.
snow report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Ionizingskin wrote:

Not where I ski. I wear a fairly low profile backpack and I never take it off for chairlifts, have never been asked to and have never had the lift stopped for it

Ditto, no dangly bits, no entrapment chance, never had an issue with people or lifties .
latest report
@WindOfChange, always have a backpack on, never an issue. Is this a French thing?
jumping the queue is a no no for me. seemingly, although this is a big unproveable generalization, done by the nationals of whichever country I am skiing in, invariably male and aged 16 to 25. They normally don't get past me, or my wife.
oh and the bar never goes up early on a chair lift I am on. I'm too heavy, and lean on the bar to prevent this.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 11-02-20 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@endoman, Me too. 24l backpack. Everything I need in it. Neatly packed. Never an issue and never asked to remove it!
ski holidays
Some lifts, where the configuration gives rise to problems, insist on removal of backpacks. Several people have been killed because backpacks have got caught up and impeded dismounting - reported on Snowheads. One lad on a school trip, a couple of years ago.
snow report
@pam w, they also die after getting drunk, and wandering off into the night, and for various other reasons. Common sense is the answer, and some people don't have much, with the young often still to learn.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy