Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend end of March - near Geneva (title update)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for resort recommendations for a long weekend end of March. For 2 adult intermediates .
Somewhere with short transfer, reasonably sized ski area with good variety, nice restaurants and not too expensive.
Obviously could fly to Geneva and go somewhere like PdS but want try somewhere new .. have only been to Pila in Italy and Kitzbuhel in Austria

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 11-02-20 0:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monterosa?
Has elevation for that time of year and reportedly exceptional value quality food.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker,thank you. will have a look
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of the innsbruck resorts? Axmar, schlik or stubai glacier?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Contamines would be good for a long weekend or Megeve/St Gervais in the same vicinity if you have a car. We went at beginning of April both really good and close to Geneva. Les Contamines probably has the better snow at that time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ronnierocket, have they all relocated?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, the flight time to Innsbruck do not seem to work for us as want to maximise time to ski but otherwise would consider
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've done La Thuile and Madonna di Campiglio the last two years at that time (in fact a bit later) and had great skiing at both. La Thuile is very quiet at night, Madonna more lively with great food and friendly people at both.
The same time this year we'll fly to Salzburg but haven't decided yet...shortlist is Schladming, Flachau, Mayrhofen (further away) and Obertauern if snow is scarce. Saalbach would be top of the list if we hadn't been there a few weeks ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Valluga, all sound like good suggestions. Where did you fly to for La Thuile and Madonna and how long was the transfer ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Thuile was Geneva - just under 2 hours but that was slower than anticipated due to tunnel problems. That was for a four day trip.
The Madonna transfer was a bit longer - 2.5 hours but very cheap car hire from Milan Bergamo.
Not sure if we we we're lucky, but we had great snow and blue skies at both. I probably preferred La Thuile, but avoid if you feel the cold (nicknamed Little Siberia) or looking for lively apres ski (some nice little cafes and cozy restaurants though).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Valluga, thank you... I am trying to find somewhere with a shorter transfer as want to ski as much as possible- we will only have Friday to Monday
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Valluga, Confused by the question. They are both about 1 hours drive from Geneva and takes 15 mins between them. That in my book counts as close to Geneva and both resort being in the same vicinity.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ronnierocket, the title does say Italy or Austria... your suggestions are good ones though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Valluga, Aah, slightly less confused now! Missed the country information in the title. Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bella2015 wrote:
@Mr.Egg the flight time to Innsbruck do not seem to work for us as want to maximise time to ski but otherwise would consider

Do you mean the flight times rather than the duration of the flight?

Probably best to work out which Airport flight times work for you and go from there.

In Austria the main airports for skiing are Innsbruck & Salzburg - do flight times for Salzburg airport work for you?

Less know Austria airports near to ski resorts are
Linz
Klagenfurt
Graz

e.g. Hinterstöder is only around 60 mins from Linz Airport
Nassfeld is only 1:20 from Klagenfurt

It's unlikely you will find a package deal to these less know resorts though so would most likely have to sort out flights, hotel & Transfer/car hire separately.

https://www.flexiski.com/skiing-advice/skiing-blog/7-ski-resorts-with-the-shortest-transfers/
ski holidays
Thank you all for recommendations. At the end booked flights to Geneva as it worked best in terms of timings, we are flying out after work on Thursday and coming back late Monday so hoping to get almost 4 days skiing ... but I guess will have to choose a resort in France now
latest report
@Bella2015, Courmayeur close to GVA through the tunnel. Why not consider Verbier (yes I know it is Switzerland but is close to GVA)?
ski holidays
@halfhand, thank you . Good point, l guess l need to check accommodation options in all close resorts and then choose... but l suppose l could leave it to last minute, to see how the snow conditions are ?
snow conditions
@Bella2015, where can you fly to?
snow conditions
@Bella2015, Embarassed
ski holidays
A friend has just done a few days in Cortina apparently great value for money, flight and car hire were under £200 then stayed at the hotel Menardi that he said was reasonable and very Italian.
latest report
Samoens. Lovely town with nice restaurants. Very short ski bus to lift if in town. We have stayed in Neige et Roc hotel, which has a pool and the bus stops outside. Short walk into town. Grand massif is a lot of skiing. 1 hour transfer.
snow report
For maximum time on the slopes, the flight times (arrival and departure) are often more important than the transfer times.

Geneva often works out best for this because you can get flights that arrive at 9am, and departures after 8pm which allows a full day on the slopes on your last day.
latest report
Quick and easy drive to Sallanches, stay in Ibis budget, you have a good choice of resorts within very easy day's drive.
ski holidays
@twoodwar, thank you will check this out
@James77, would love to go to Cortina but maybe next time as flying to Geneva
@pam w, thank you will look into this to although as we are not planning of hiring a car may not work for us

Guess l need to update the title of the thread to “Long weekend near Geneva” but don’t seem to work out how to do it
latest report
@Bella2015, edit your first post
latest report
@holidayloverxx, done Smile
snow report
Quote:

will look into this to although as we are not planning of hiring a car may not work for us

It's the easiest way, especially for a short trip (probably cheaper than most private transfers), and it's the easiest possible drive to Sallanches. However, if you won't have a car, you obviously need to stay within very easy reach of the lifts, and Sallanches wouldn't work. .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, thank you but we prefer without a car

A dilemma - once I have chosen the resort should l book accommodation now or wait till later? Would it be better to book last minute when I know what the snow is like? Or is it too risky?
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:
@pam w, thank you but we prefer without a car

A dilemma - once I have chosen the resort should l book accommodation now or wait till later? Would it be better to book last minute when I know what the snow is like? Or is it too risky?

Wait. You’re out of holiday period do there will be accommodation. Depending on weather you may need to go high, or get lucky with a cold spell and be able to go lower (cheaper).

FYI last weekend in March has the FWT final in Verbier snd so is busy so avoid that if you’re not interested in the event.
latest report
@BobinCH, thank you. Ok will wait then. Although l am so used to booking ahead that will have to sit on my hands:)
Good info re Verbier, will check the dates and avoid if coincides. Our dates are March 19-23
snow report
@Bella2015, Le Grand Bornand works well for a short break from Geneva. www.legrandbornand.com
snow report
Definitely wait to to book accommodation and transfer.
ski holidays
So my ski weekend is getting closer . We are due to fly to Geneva on the 19th ... so far have booked flights only and really hope we can still travel. So given the virus situation, is it now a good time to start booking accommodation? Or wait some more? And based on both snow and virus situation where would you go from Geneva ( need lateish transfer options as we arrive around 9pm on Thursday)?
ski holidays
@Bella2015, Verbier. Stay near the airport if you arrive at 9pm. And get an early morning transfer. Or train.
snow report
@Bodeswell, are you suggesting verbier to avoid going to France?
snow report
@Bella2015, haha, you might say that but I couldn't possibly comment!
It would be my first choice if I was going in a couple of weeks though. And my gut feel suggests you'll find reasonably priced accommodation and good snow.

France is also an option.
edit. Chamonix has good snow and reasonable accommodation.
latest report
@Bodeswell, thank you will have a look. Have been in Chamonix before, not my favourite due to disjointed ski area...
snow conditions
No worries, good luck, you'll have options that's for certain. To be honest with recent developments in Italy and this ever changing corona situation I'd probably hang tight and book last minute. Easier said than done when you're itching to go, I know.
ski holidays
@Bodeswell, l think l can resist for a few more days... but at the same time, l feel that if l do book somewhere, we are more likely to actually go rather than cancel our long awaited ( and kidsfree) getaway
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy