Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Saturday of the Offloaded Skis.

Poster: A snowHead
We flew to Salzburg from Edinburgh on Saturday 18th January with Jet2. All perfect, even arrived 25 mins early.

The same afternoon friends also flew from Edinburgh to Innsbruck with TUiFly as part of the Crystal charter flight albeit they personally were flight and transfer only. They left Innsbruck airport more than 2 hours late as all the skis that had been loaded in Edinburgh were apparently then unloaded as before departure, as, so they were told "the plane was too heavy"

Now in isolation you might think that someone had made an error in paperwork or such or that it was just one of these things that happens.

The thing is that the delay was made worse by the fact that the exact same thing had happened to two other TuiFly flights to Innsbruck on the same afternoon from Gatwick and Dublin.

Thus the delay was worse as lost luggage at Innsbruck had three planeloads of folks all arriving at the same approximate time all of whom didn't have the skis they had checked in successfully upon departure. Their skis didn't reach them until at the earliest on the Tuesday night. So that was at least three days on rentals at best.

I had a search but can't see any other posts about this episode so was anyone on here affected?

Very odd methinks. What would cause that?

Not the same issue but they also found out that the Manchester TuiFly flight due in at the same approximate time was diverted to Salzburg because of weather. Someone in their hotel had been on it and didn't get to Obergurgl until 4am on the Sunday. Nine hours after landing for a journey of 275km?

One of these days or problems at Crystal/TuiFly?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the weather/runway conditions forecast at Innsbruck were bad, then it can really restrict the available landing weight, when the pilots plan what fuel they can carry before the flight (the passengers would of all been checked in by then)

Skis are the first victim of off-loading baggage to reduce the weight of the airplane. It’s all part of the charm flying into Innsbruck snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was at Salzburg airport that day picking up my sister. It was snowing pretty heavily which can affect flights in and out of Innsbruck, but less so at Salzburg, so I expect it's all weather-related.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some Austrian air flights got diverted to Munich that Saturday
There was a fair bit of snow in Innsbruck
We were held up coming home but that was due to a plane change

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-02-20 18:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok. It was pouring rain in Salzburg at 6pm, in fact there was no lying snow until almost Lofer in that direction although apparently it was snowing above Innsbruck but not at town level. So there were weather issues.

I'll ask no1 son who's an aeronautical engineering student for a technical explanation. I would have thought from a laymans logic POV that as far as landing is concerned a heavier plane is better than a lighter one but maybe its to do with the risk of icing making it too heavy?

As you say likely just one of the charms of Innsbruck. I've always been lucky there in terms of weather but thinking my luck will run out eventually. Planning there next trip and wondering weather just to fly via London and use a scheduled flight? IIRC there is a higher level of pilot qualification required for those but please correct me if I'm wrong about that?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@robboj, a heavier plane has more momentum, and with reduced brake efficiency in wet or snowy weather the plane might not manage to stop before the end of the runway, in which case they'll deliver you a bit closer to the centre of Innsbruck than planned, or a bit further away. Removing an A320 or 737 from the grass/mud/fence beyond the runway is expensive and takes several hours, and would close the airport to incoming flights
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@robboj, I'm pretty sure it was snowing in the town that Saturday – it was the first snow we'd had in about a month. I wasn't taking much notice of the planes coming in though, only that there were some.

Afaik, it is the airport which defines whether the higher qualification is required, not the service, so all commercial pilots coming into Innsbruck mush have it. Happy to be corrected though.

Planes fly past my window approximately four minutes before landing, so I can see roughly how busy the airport is. The normal rate on a normal day is one plane (medium or small passenger plane, nothing huge) every 30 min. On a Saturday in February, this increases to one every five minutes, so potentially quite a lot of disruption if you're caught up in one of those holiday flights (approx. half are charters) due to bad weather. Innsbruck is tiny, so I can see how it would become a bottleneck if there are delays.

Most of the time, the weather is ok, and everything runs like clockwork. If you are really worried, then consider Munich as an alternative – no special pilot training required, not in the mountains so less likely to be affected by weather, much larger so able to absorb delays without too much hassle. Transfer time would probably increase, but there is a good train line and you can take a more direct route to some resorts without going near Innsbruck itself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ousekjarr, Planes land facing away from the city, and are more likely to end up on the A12 or fished out of the river Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Salzburg has special pilot training requirements too. The airport is pretty central in the city which sits in a horseshoe arrangement of mountains. Generally planes take off/land to/from the northwest as that's where the flatter land lies, but I have once been in an A319 which took off southeast to Dubrovnik. Apparently it has to be a pretty small plane and less than half-laden. Spectacular take-off, very sharp angle, bumpy but with great views.

Surprisingly Salzburg airport isn't too badly affected by weather, they are very good at keeping the runway clear and it's only Saturdays in the peak ski season that are especially busy. Last year in the height of the major snowfall a few charter flights were diverted to Linz to allow more time for runway clearance at Salzburg.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
robboj wrote:
Ok. It was pouring rain in Salzburg at 6pm, in fact there was no lying snow until almost Lofer in that direction although apparently it was snowing above Innsbruck but not at town level. So there were weather issues.

I'll ask no1 son who's an aeronautical engineering student for a technical explanation. I would have thought from a laymans logic POV that as far as landing is concerned a heavier plane is better than a lighter one but maybe its to do with the risk of icing making it too heavy?

As you say likely just one of the charms of Innsbruck. I've always been lucky there in terms of weather but thinking my luck will run out eventually. Planning there next trip and wondering weather just to fly via London and use a scheduled flight? IIRC there is a higher level of pilot qualification required for those but please correct me if I'm wrong about that?

Of course BA pilots would say that Toofy Grin . Just to correct, an airline pilot is an airline pilot. They all hold the same qualifications doesn’t matter whether they fly for the “worlds favourite airline” or not !

Innsbruck is a ‘cat C’ airport requiring a day in the simulator practising engine failures in the valley, due to the proximity of cumulus granitus and also an actual flight there with an Innsbruck training captain. Innsbruck is a short runway and if it is wet or contaminated with snow, then you have less than the normal planned landing weight to use, that’s why they offloaded the skis on that day.

If you want to play it safe, go to Salzburg or Munich.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, Innsbruck has one strip of tarmac, which consists of two runways - 26 and 08. These refer to the direction of the runway (260 degrees and 080 degrees), and while there are restrictions on takeoff to the west because of the proximity of large lumps of snow-covered rock, landing is perfectly possible in both directions. I've come in over the mountains before (that's a hell of a ride) and then dropped into the valley and landed eastbound towards the city.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/V8oc4HZdAdc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally, we only use MUC (Lufthansa) and ZRH (Swiss), longer and more expensive transfers but you don't get held up by weather and diverted/ luggage delays etc. Some friends last year paid a premium to Tui to fly into INN and got diverted to Friedrichshafen and got to resort without luggage at 4am, not great that....missed a days skiing in the process waiting for skis/ bags to arrive. Never easy in bad weather but going via a major hub and on trains minimise potential disruption imo.

I've not yet found a service from the north of UK that flies into INN that guarantees me any extra time on the slopes at anything like sensible price, they generally fly in/ out at mid morning plus are expensive, Monarch came close but they went bust.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ousekjarr wrote:
@Scarlet, Innsbruck has one strip of tarmac, which consists of two runways - 26 and 08. These refer to the direction of the runway (260 degrees and 080 degrees), and while there are restrictions on takeoff to the west because of the proximity of large lumps of snow-covered rock, landing is perfectly possible in both directions. I've come in over the mountains before (that's a hell of a ride) and then dropped into the valley and landed eastbound towards the city.

Ah ok, I didn't realise you could come in from the other side. I wouldn't see those from the east – most stuff either comes in westbound down the Inn valley, or eastbound over the Karwendel and then turns around at Jenbach. Does landing direction depend on wind direction?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robboj wrote:
I would have thought from a laymans logic POV that as far as landing is concerned a heavier plane is better than a lighter one but maybe its to do with the risk of icing making it too heavy?

Do you think a lorry travelling at 60MPH stops in a shorter, the same, or a longer distance than a small family car travelling at 60MPH...?

Likewise it's easier to slow down a 42,000kg empty aircraft than a full 75,000kg one, and as the brakes/tyres/reverse thrust is the same that means staying on the brakes longer, which means you travel further along the runway, and if the runway is slippy it will be durther again.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
Ah ok, I didn't realise you could come in from the other side. I wouldn't see those from the east – most stuff either comes in westbound down the Inn valley, or eastbound over the Karwendel and then turns around at Jenbach. Does landing direction depend on wind direction?

Among several factors, yes. Larger aircraft are unable to land on 08 because the glide slope and clearances to get in are outside of their operational spec, but those larger aircraft also have challenges in performing the U-turn over Jenbach if the cloud cover is low and they have to do it within the valley (as a flight I was on did) rather than above the peaks. Have a look at https://www.vacc-austria.org/index.php?page=content/chartlist&icao=lowi if you are interested - landing on 08 is not easy, but then landing on 26 is simple if all goes well but on a missed approach or go-around for any reason the pilot has to get the plane up and out of the valley quickly...
snow report
@ousekjarr, You're getting a bit too geeky for me now! My observations are based on being perpetually injured and not allowed out at the weekend to play in the snow Confused
snow report
A group of us flew into Innsbruck on 18th, on 4 different flights, none made it to Innsbruck as expected due to snow/visibility;

1. flight I was on ended up in Munich and arrived only 30 mins later than expected in Innsbruck, having unsuccessfully tried to land twice at Innsbruck. That in itself was not an issue, except it took over 2 hours for the bags to arrive, but let’s be grateful all skis and bags did.

2. Tui flight ended up at Munich for a few hours on the tarmac then went back successfully to Innsbruck.

3. Tui flight diverted to Verona, over 3 hours on tarmac with no food or drink, then flew back to Innsbruck

4. Tui flight later in day due to leave 1pm, left after 7pm, friend got to resort at 3am, clearly caused by all earlier issues

Not ideal, we laughed about it and had 2 foot of powder to ski on first day which made it all the more bearable
snow conditions
Thanks to those who posted a fuller explanation. 'O' Grade physics was a long time ago now.

It certainly reinforces my view that I have been anomalously lucky to have had no issues in about twelve flights there.

Injury has curtailed a likely trip to Obergurgl via there later this month but seriously thinking that next year will be via MUC and a shared taxi. Yes its notably more expensive but I would rather pay for the certainty of having my own kit. Will look into trains too but with a change at München Ost then the need to change again to the bus at the Ötztal Bahnhof makes it all seem a bit tiresome. Will come down to the difference in price.
snow report
One more thing. I am certain I have read here or somewhere that Austrian Airlines are able to get in there when others can't. I appreciate my notion that it was down to pilot qualification was poo-poo'd above so apologies for my asking again but are we certain about that in the particular respect of AA?

There is an AA charter out of Edinburgh through Inghams which I've never used primarily because the return flight is one of those that necessitates leaving the hotel at about 3am but its another option when weighing them up?
ski holidays
@robboj, it's more likely due to the size of the plane. AA have a few smaller planes in their fleet, such as A319 and Embraer 195.
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
@robboj, it's more likely due to the size of the plane. AA have a few smaller planes in their fleet, such as A319 and Embraer 195.

Thanks QB, had a look on Flight Radar24 and it is indeed an A319. Just need to get my head round the effectively 6 night holiday for the price of 7!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy