Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gerlitzen Ski Mountain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have looked around online and seen various youtube videos. It looks like it has 1 or 2 very long and wide red runs (8 and 21) which aren't tricky.

I always get up early and try to be at the start of the queue, to beat the crowds. This is often not possible if one has to take a long ski bus to get there, especially if the bus doesn't start running until say half an hour after the lifts start because by then a load of people who have cars got there already. But looking at the piste map
https://www.ultimate-ski.com/ski-resorts/austria/gerlitzen/
it looks like one can get a lift from Annenheim which is on the lakeside (where all the accommodation is also) which avoids any buses.

Has anyone been there who could confirm the above? Are there any other gotchas?

I am thinking of going late Feb, after the school holidays are out of the way.

Thank you in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bumping this... has nobody really been there? It seems very popular.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First I've heard of it actually. Looking at the map I suspect it would be brilliant on a powder day! One of the small local resorts probably most used by locals, weekenders from Vienna and Graz, and family holidays from Germany, Hungary, etc during the school holiday periods (probably the same families going back every year).

I really like these smaller under-the-radar resorts, but I'd imagine very few Brits go there. Out of interest, what makes you think it seems very popular?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen it from a distance on a visit to Villach, but never skied there, sorry. I expect it's busy this week and next as it's school holidays for the locals.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It has been recommended to me by several friends who live in that part of Europe (Austria and east of there). They drive there in a few hours from e.g. Croatia. There are lots of people on the webcams, but not the huge crowds which you would expect in the major Alpine resorts at this time of day.

The obvious airport is Klagenfurt and Easyjet does a few flights a week there.

Doesn't have the altitude (and thus the assured snow) of say Cervinia but it does seem to have some super long runs.

I would not go before the last week in Feb. The Austrian school holidays all end latest on 22 Feb.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.pgl.co.uk/en-gb/school-trips/secondary-schools/course-types/skiing-and-snowboarding/resorts/gerlitzen

"Major Alpine Resort" it is not. More like pleasant low lying (520m) lakeside hamlet with some ski lifts that don't get to 2000m.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peter Stevens, super long runs are pretty normal in Austria. Many ski towns are on the valley floor, so there's potential for a lot of vertical. Higher ski towns such as Obertauern do not offer this.

Another larger ski area in Kärnten, accessible from Klagenfurt, is Bad Kleinkirchheim.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes; Bad Kleinkirchheim was also suggested but when I looked at some ski videos on YT I decided against it. There is a load of dodgy looking runs - along a ridge, with a steep drop either side, and snow machines in the middle Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy