Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Heading to MDC for first time ever next week and looking some tips for:

Best slopes for intermediates
Ski hire, including can you leave it overnight near the slopes
Some good restaurants four the evening
Nice spots for apres
Any dramas on the drive up from Bergamo

Cheers in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It so happens that I have compiled a handy list from searching on here for my mate who is also going there next week and myself (going the week after) which answers most of this. Think the highest point on the drive is Madonna.

Madonna - slopeside lunch
a little off the beaten track, off piste 54 -Cascina Zeledria
Head down piste 54 and follow the signs on your left, IIRC it was a 100m + from the piste. “very good quality food, I remember having a lovely venison chop” This place is rated by lots of people

great terraces with amazing views at top of Cinque Laghi

Chalet Fiat had to be visited, but IMO its one of the least good places. I think the locals regard it as all glitz and nonsense.

our favourite was Refugio Viviani’s over at Pradalago. Upstairs is a great restaurant. Hot chocolate (and rum) at the bar downstairs have to be some of the best anywhere.

Rifugio Stoppani - Up at the top of Groste and a great location. Delicious food, wonderful service from a proper old-style waiter. Apparently much better in sit down upstairs restaurant than self service downstairs

Folgarida/Marilleva
“best was ( a bit from MDC) refugio Solander, which is top of the Daolosa lift”

pizza at Monte Spolverino - the huge ones to share are fun and tasty, and the view is amazing!

restaurant at the top of Monte Vigo. The top floor of that restaurant had a guy making pizzas in the middle of the room to order

Variable reviews of Refuge Orti above Marilleva, apparently gone downhill

Pinzolo
The place at Doss Del Sabion at the top of Pinzolo had decent food inside and it's worth stopping just for the views

Madonna - Après
At Groste you have Bar Jumper. On bluebird days it gets busy in the afternoons. There is an outdoor bar normally with a dj playing dance music - not my thing but it attracts a big crowd. At the base of Spinale there is a bar, Again if it's good weather the terrace can get very busy & it can be a good place for people watching

For apres Bar Suisse or the Hungry Wolf around the central piazza
Stubbe bar down some stairs off the main square was ok later on. Suisse Bar is to be done only if you like seeing and being seen and you have plenty of spare cash!

Restaurants
Ristorante Le Roi - reasonable price, good food and fast service

Ristorante Antico Focolare - good but more expensive. served a large salad, totally dry
but you can order food right up to 11.00pm
One restaurant my wife and I use on a regular basis is Antico Focolare
They have a very extensive menu and the food is good.
Slightly more upmarket than Le Roi/Belvedere

These two are inexpensive family restaurants, and the food is good.
One can purchase wine by the half or full carafe.

Also good is Restaurant Belvedere- not quite as good as le Roi

A very good pizzeria is Ristorante Papagalo

A very good restaurant is located behind Residence La Posta – this is Ristorante La Posta, again in the town centre, and almost opposite the front door of the Hotel Miramonti.
Another excellent restaurant is the Stube, located in the Hotel Diana

Restaurant del Pini at Hotel Chalet del Sogno-Michelin star cooking, big prices and small portions

If you would like to try authentic South Tyrolean fare, then below the Hotel Chalet del Sogno, you will find Ristorante Vecchia Sarca (not for the faint hearted or if one is watching the weight).
Lots of hearty stews, venison, rabbit, local lake fish and the obligatory polenta – this restaurant is renowned throughout the region for its authenticity.

Stube at the Bio Hotel Hermitage is a Michelin star restaurant, and, as one would expect, comes with a price tag.

Bar l'Abruzzo - not in the centre. We like it, maybe not everyone's choice but always a good crowd of locals. the staff were good enough to put the 6 nations Italy v Ireland game on the TV for us (and accepted defeat graciously) They serve snacks

Caffe Dolomiti - very small but very good. Nice atmosphere & maybe the best burgers in the Dolomites!! It's near the Belvedere, same building I think but upstairs. Really like this place. Did I say it was small!! down the hill past hotel Diane, and turn left at the hotel Alpina. also showed the rugby.

Stube de Franz Josef - I think that's the name of it, downstairs beside Hotel Majestic. Cosy & a nice atmosphere. Nice wooden booths which are good if there is a group of you. Good service

Madonna di Campiglio has restaurants in abundance, but try some mountain refuges for dinner.
Three are Chalet Fiat at the top of Monte Spinale, Cascina Zeledria and Malga Montagnoli.
All are reached after 5.00pm by snow cat, from Campo Carlo Magno.

Runs

“Most of the black pistes are fairly tame, the exception being the lower half of the Schumacher which is pretty steep.”

“Best to avoid blue piste 66 unless you enjoy poling.....”

"Skiing from MdC to Folgarida involves one steep, and often icy, pitch on a red piste. Definitely not for near beginners. I've seen even those with more than a few weeks of skiing experience struggle down the pitch." Also a red on the way back which is similarly rated.

Best runs of the week: Red run 61 in Passo Groste first thing in the morning. Red run 65 at Dosson Di Vagliana for the sheer fun of the rollers. Black run 70 from Monte Spinale (max 70% gradient - can be avoided by taking the chair lift back up mid run) - best done just before lunch. Not for the faint hearted who are better off tackling red run 78. Black run 26 in Marilleva. Red run 45 and Black run 57 in the Pradalago area

Even more restaurants here
https://www.madonnadicampiglio.co/enchanted-holidays/ski-madonna-di-campiglio/going-out/restaurants/

Edited because I noticed that they have changed all the piste numbers in Madonna. Looks like it was done so the numbers are now different from those in the adjoining areas.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 5-02-20 21:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant and very much appreciated Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No worries. There’s not loads of threads on here. Let us know if any recommendations are particularly good or bad. TIA
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Macro, ski hire and nice spots for apres depend a bit on where you are staying as the resort is split a bit by the lake in the middle. We were there in 2017 and booked again for this February, the Spinale lift being the closest one to our hotel. If that's the case for you then there is a hire shop right by the Spinale Lift and you can leave your gear there overnight if you want to. I think it is called Noleggio Des Alpes. I didn't use them as have my own, but the guys I went with did and got good equipment.

We would end the day at the Spinale lift and often had a couple of apres drinks in "Jumper" which is a lively umbrella bar at the bottom of Groste. Then we would ski the easy blue (road) called Grotte back to Spinale and finish off with a couple more in the "Ober 1" Apres bar right near the lift. You get plenty of free nibbles at Ober 1 as well.
The easy blue run back from Jumper is on google maps streetview, its fun and very easy so you can drink as much as you like Very Happy
The link to streetview is this but you will probably have to paste it into chrome to get it to work.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2366076,10.8367156,3a,75y,246.55h,69.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipN6E_n3_-5Z36rT4Nej_HjnN1m26Y4GYy2nug8D!2e10!3e12!7i7680!8i3840

Have a great trip, I like MdC very much.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You sound like a guy after my own heart...beer and nibbles at the end of the day are hard to beat. Thanks for your advice, making us more excited about our trip next week!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I realised when I actually looked at the piste map that they have changed all the piste numbers in Madonna Puzzled at some point in the last 10 years so I have edited my post to put the correct numbers in.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from our second weekend visit to that area. We stay in Pinzolo and ski both there and MdC. It's worth giving Pinzolo an afternoon, there are some very nice runs there and the Tulot, which is a pretty substantial black run. Best to avoid Pancugolo, run #90 on the MdC side, as it's a 75% gradient - I survived it and in retrospect enjoyed it, but my colleague enjoyed it less as he did it on his face.

In general I found the connections between different areas not brilliantly well marked, so make sure you know where you're going and have a piste map with you. We had to traipse across town on foot after we took some wrong turns and were running out of time to make the connecting gondola back to Pinzolo.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brilliant, much appreciated
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Back from Madonna yesterday, @what...snow your information was spot on.

A couple of additions I'd make.
1. Olimpionico for equipment rental - https://olimpionicosport.it/en/ski/rental-pricelist.html very friendly and top notch efficient service
2. Rifuigio Boch https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g194805-d2628990-Reviews-Bar_Ristorante_Boch-Madonna_Di_Campiglio_Pinzolo_Province_of_Trento_Trentino_Alto.html for lunchtime burgers on the slope (Groste side)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@OTS, Thats good to know, was just looking at rental shops for some of my group and Olimpionico was one fairly close to our hotel.

Heading out there on the 29th Feb but still no sign of snow arriving in quantity. How were the pistes?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m here now and actually ate in Boch yesterday. It’s quite busy but the pistes are holding up fairly well. It was a bit cloudy, especially in the afternoon, today. Some sizeable lift queues especially Groste and Fortini. Went over to Marilleva and Folgarida this morning as I had to pick up the wife’s credit card from Cascina Zeledria rolling eyes Some queues over there too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the report @what...snow, glad to hear the pistes are holding up. Don’t you just love half term Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy