Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Something to increase Waistline Warmth?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a Norrona Lofoten Pro Outfit and I wear a sweat wicking T-shirt, a Merino base-layer, and an Ortovox Merino soft shell jacket underneath.
I also wear one or two sets of Merino long-johns, depending on how cold it is.
This is a bunch of top-line expensive stuff.
This all works brilliantly apart from ... my waist/lower back tends to get cold, ie where all these garments meet.
I have tried basic stuff like pulling layers over layers but nothing seems to work consistently.

Has anyone had a similar problem and come up with a good solution?

Any suggestions/advice appreciated!

Currently up a mountain in Canada ......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FoofyNoo, i have resorted to wrapping a pashmina round my middle. I know that sounds a bit poncy ....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One thing that keeps my lower back and waist warm is my back protector. It has a velcro belt that also keeps the layers underneath in place.

Are you wearing a softshell under another shell or insulated layer ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you fastening the powder skirt to seal the bottom of your jacket from drafts?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
Are you wearing a softshell under another shell or insulated layer ?

It's more of an isulated layer than a full soft shell jacket.
I will look into the back protector idea ... thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
Are you fastening the powder skirt to seal the bottom of your jacket from drafts?

Yup .. at first I forgot to do this until a stint in Japan powder permanently jogged my memory Laughing
Now I do it up every time.

I think that a lot of dynamic off-piste skiing is just pulling the layers apart and letting cold air in.
This is never noticeable when actually skiing but I really feel it on a chairlift.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you tried eating 3 of these a day for 3 months pre season?

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Icebreaker sheep suit or a monsie - one piece base layers. Also handy for puppetry and general ninja shenanigans.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@FoofyNoo, my lower back has never been warmer since I got my Helly Hansen Sogn bibs. No drafts get in, and when you sit down you get a lovely puff of warm air coming up round your waist and lower back. I realise that it would be a drastic solution, given you've already got some seriously fancy trousers, but bibs would solve the problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@FoofyNoo, one of my friends had a neoprene kidney belt to keep her lower back warm when we were sailing in the winter. I borrowed it once - worked a treat (under a dry suit). No idea where you'd get one from though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You might try cycling bib tights. These come in a range of thickness, and you should be able to find a pair *without* a chammy pad as I'd expect a pad to be seriously uncomfortable when skiing.

Something like this, maybe?
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pro-thermo-bib-tights-no-pad/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mgrolf wrote:
@FoofyNoo, one of my friends had a neoprene kidney belt to keep her lower back warm when we were sailing in the winter. I borrowed it once - worked a treat (under a dry suit). No idea where you'd get one from though.

I've got one of these- its a simple wrap around overlap with velcro
. I'm pretty sure I bought it in one of the pound shop / home bargains shops for very little money . Its blue and in their wrist/knee/back support range.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You need a pair of these bad boys!!

https://shapermint.com/collections/shapewear/products/empetua-all-day-every-day-shaper-boyshort?variant=21968696082492
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All-in-one skisuit.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@FoofyNoo, overlap alternate layers should do it? Works for me.

One thought - is moisture getting trapped under your layers?
ski holidays
Replace the longjohns with one of these...

https://rab.equipment/uk/power-stretch-pro-bib
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
mgrolf wrote:

I've got one of these- its a simple wrap around overlap with velcro
. I'm pretty sure I bought it in one of the pound shop / home bargains shops for very little money . Its blue and in their wrist/knee/back support range.

Back in the 80's bikers (particularly German ones I seem to remember) would wear leather kidney belts under two piece leathers to keep their midriffs warm.
I had one, it worked.
Then I switched to race reps and garish one pieces for the 90's!
snow report
I've personally always worn a cummerbund when skiing, it keeps my waist warm and is handy if I accidentally ski through a wedding reception.
latest report
Loads of totally brilliant suggestions!
And some slightly dubious one's...... Very Happy
I will sift through them and get back to you with my preferred solution.

Thanks everyone!
snow report
beer & pies

or bib pants
snow report
A one piece swim suit?
latest report
I've got a snow skirt built in to my ski trousers, works perfectly.
ski holidays
I wear a kidney warmer....something like this. They're great as you can weave your top and bottom layers over them and whip them off easily if it gets a bit too warm. I use them all the time, not just winter!
ski holidays
They may look odd but this is what I wear to avoid the cold middle-bit: https://rab.equipment/uk/power-stretch-pro-bib
ski holidays
Decathlon back support, neoprene, keeps things warm around the middle. Especially good to insulate against a cold chair lift or to keep stuff from riding up.

Probably the cheapest easy option to test, I have mine in the bag for every trip, and has the added benefit of a bit more support when you hit a pile of slushy snow and are getting thrown over the handlebars.
snow conditions
hang11 wrote:
Also handy for puppetry ...
Are you a cold-weather puppeteer? Very Happy
ski holidays
All in one ski suit is the answer, when I started skiing years ago everyone wore one, unless it was more than minus 15 all I wore apart from it was a pair of pants, if you dont want to wear one buy a all in one under layer
ski holidays
I ended up buying this .....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016VV1YXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

It worked perfectly!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One-piece ski suit.
ski holidays
I can't be a rsed to read the thread but have you tried a thermal one-piece? Norrona make them and they're excellent. Everyone takes the wee wee but if I fall I've got a warm belly and back afterwards! Also cheaper to buy together rather than separate.
snow report
@FoofyNoo, it might be your underwear/boxer shorts/knickers (not sure if you are male or female) that is making you feel cold. If they are cotton mix it doesn't matter what is on top of them it is the undies next to the skin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy