Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - ski touring equipment rental and routes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm going to be in Serre Chevalier for a week mid March for downhill skiing mainly but my wife has agreed to give ski touring a go, Very Happy
hence I'm looking for a recommendation of ski touring equipment rental place as well as some suggestions on easy scenic ski touring routes.
We are going to have a ski pass so using ski lift partially is an option. I would like it to be easy escapeable to nearest ski run just in case.
Any suggestions welcome !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Checkout stylealtitude.com. Lots of helpful videos, maybe even drop them a email.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Checkout stylealtitude.com. Lots of helpful videos, maybe even drop them a email.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cygnus, lots of nice touring options around the valley and nearby locations. Guidebooks available locally. Everything depends on the snow conditions at the time. Will you have a car? How much touring experience do you have? Could you afford to hire a guide to get the best of whatever is available?
It's not obvious whether you might prefer off piste skiing (using the lifts and maybe with a bit of skinning) or mostly finding your own way in the mountains pretty much away from the pistes. Would the Snowheads Spring Off Piste Bash in Serre Che in March (check out the Events calendar and thread) suit you?
You'd need to give a bit more info to get useful help...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cygnus, very much depends on your ability as skiers, and fitness levels but doubt very much that you'd be asking such a question if you were not confident and above all it very much depends on the conditions at the time, spring snow vs powder and or crud etc as snowpack has a big bearing on what you can achieve.

Serre Che now has a number of secure ski touring trails in resort, so you can rent the gear and give it a go without having to worry about safety kit/guides etc and snowpack, as you ski back down the piste!

More information here

https://www.serre-chevalier.com/fr/ski-de-rando-fp4617

As for renting kit, I know that Riquet Sports in old Villeneuve just opposite Petite Pont Restaurant has a very good range of gear, I was only in there a few days ago checking out their boot selection which is quite impressive for all widths of feet.

If you have a car there are a few other options that don't require a guide such as skinning up to the Refuge Napoleon, though the ski down is not too much of an adrenalin rush, however it's a great trip.

Best way is to book a guide, but I'd actually wait and see what conditions are like.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the information ! I really appreciate it
I will start digging now and ring Riquet Sports at some point.

We will have a car so skin up to the Refuge Napoleon sounds like very good option.
Coffee / cake break at the col with a view will be great motivator.
Is this the one ? https://www.refuge-napoleon-col-izoard.fr/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cygnus, yes that's the one.

The refuge is located just below the actual Col so do the Col first and then ski back down to the Refuge.

You drive out of Briancon and park up at Laus where the road is closed to traffic.

This link will show you all you need to know re rough timings etc and route

https://www.strava.com/activities/2104348813

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy