Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about flex

Poster: A snowHead
I have had salomon xmax 120 for a while, but I feel those might be too much for me... Planning to buy salomon s max 100 and wanted to ask if it was a right flex?

I am a 6-7 skier, 170cm and weigh 80kg.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good boot fitter can soften the flex on a boot by cutting the cuff. Obviously its a one-way ticket...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In theory, not too much, in my opinion.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the boot is too big it may feel too stiff. What shell gap do you have?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have xmax120s and am 190cm and 90kg. I find the flex perfect for me; very supportive while carving at speed and still enough squish for technical skiing.
I would think with 20cm less height and 10kg less weight you would find them a bit tougher; so would 110s be perfect for you - I don't know as I have no experience in boot fitting! But I do know that not all boots are relative with flex values...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I tried smax 120 but those do not feel nice... Too tight. Also, I wonder how much you can really try the flex in store, when the boot is very warm? 120 was very similar in bending as 100,maybe they were very warm. On the slopes it will get stiffer right?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah, I didn't mention that but spring skiing in my 120s isn't as fun, they feel far softer - not sure if other manufacturers use different polymers with more consistent flex?
I know that trying the flex indoors feels a lot like sunny spring skiing i.e the worst flex I'd accept.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think most of all that it depends on your preferred skiing style, terrain/type, technique and stance - and, of course, the boot fitting well and as snugly or otherwise you particularly like it and having the forward lean (or not) which you like.
Have you tried other makes of boot (even just in a shop)? It might be a fit and suitability issue as much as anything. Worth getting the opinion of a good boot fitter before paying out on another pair.
Can only say that I once had XMax 90 and they were way too soft for me. I ski in 110-120 boots (various makes), and I'm a mature, female, unfit, crappy upper intermediate mostly-piste skier, 60+kg and 160cm (I think). For moguls and really choppy and rough stuff I'd like something a bit softer, maybe: but I can cope well enough and just loosen them off a teeny tad if needed. Definitely not too stiff to get them properly flexed once I get the fit which I like.
My skiing improved a lot once I got stiffer boots, but ones which also fit well and in the right places for how I like to ski.
Yes, in the shop they will feel hugely different in all kind of ways (why are boot shops always so warm???!!) Outside, in varying degrees of cold, they will be stiffer and harder to flex: but that's not always a negative, and it isn't always that much different between say 0 and -25C. Does depend on make, IMHO.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A lot of boots have the ability to adjust the flex a bit, usually lowering it with the removal of a couple of metal bolts on the back of the boots. Normal if your boots have the feature they come with an Hex key and plastic plugs to got in pace of the metal bolt. If your boots have that feature you could alway take 1 or both out and see of they feel.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Outside, in varying degrees of cold, they will be stiffer and harder to flex: but that's not always a negative, and it isn't always that much different between say 0 and -25C. Does depend on make, IMHO.

Indeed, your average ski boot plastics will stiffen by a factor of 5 between +/- 15°. Ski boot Flex is best kept at the higher ends, 110nm+, this way you can be sure, kinda, that the plastics are more stable. A PP boot of 100nm will be way stiffer than a Nylon Boot of 100nm at -15. Buy the highest flex you can afford is our Mantra.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CH2O wrote:
Quote:

Outside, in varying degrees of cold, they will be stiffer and harder to flex: but that's not always a negative, and it isn't always that much different between say 0 and -25C. Does depend on make, IMHO.

Indeed, your average ski boot plastics will stiffen by a factor of 5 between +/- 15°. Ski boot Flex is best kept at the higher ends, 110nm+, this way you can be sure, kinda, that the plastics are more stable. A PP boot of 100nm will be way stiffer than a Nylon Boot of 100nm at -15. Buy the highest flex you can afford is our Mantra.

Really buy the heighest flex one can afford?
Is that just generalizing or what you spec everytime you sell some boots?
You wouldnt put a wealthly 1 week a year skier in the same boots as you'd put Herman Maier based on the flex theory woukd you?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

You wouldnt put a wealthly 1 week a year skier in the same boots as you'd put Herman Maier based on the flex theory woukd you?

Possibly, why not if it fits and the ankle can flex it. Again, flex rating are precise however misleading, my 9 yr old can bend a 110nm boot in half in the shop.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have to say, this is all very worrying, the marketing and information is so readily available, the belief in this stuff so strong. Simple mathematics, biology, physics and chemistry prove it all nothing more than propaganda re enforced by confirmation bias.

If you buy a PP boot with 100nm flex and at -15 it's 500nm, compared to a Nylon shell, at 100nm and at -15 runs at 250nm, that's the science, no idea what the manufacturers hope you believe. Get a tad better, upgrade your boots, I guess.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to say, this is all very worrying, the marketing and information is so readily available, the belief in this stuff so strong. Simple mathematics, biology, physics and chemistry prove it all nothing more than propaganda re enforced by confirmation bias.

If you buy a PP boot with 100nm flex and at -15 it's 500nm, compared to a Nylon shell, at 100nm and at -15 runs at 250nm, that's the science, no idea what the manufacturers hope you believe. Get a tad better, upgrade your boots, I guess.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys! I got 100 and 110 flex in the end from dale, now waiting for the boots to arrive Smile i will let u know which ones i choose
ski holidays
Hey, got both salomon s max 110 and 100. 100 have much better feel, better stability etc and are heavier. I like the liners in 100 more, I hope theynwill be stiff enough as 110nare not comfortable..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy