Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Purpose of boot spoilers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I’ve got a pair of head vector 110 boots and I was wondering about the purpose of the spoiler at the top of the boot liner. It currently sits just at the top of the boot cuff, but can clearly be raised or lowered or removed.

I’m just trying to understand the purpose of this and how moving it would effect the boot? Does it change the forward lean for example?

Thanks in advance for your help snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sack the Juggler, does push you forward, also takes up space. At least, that’s what mine are doing. Further down the more effect.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sack the Juggler, why don't you move it and find out..?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, cheers for that, so if my calves are 16.5” at the widest point, tapering down to slim ankles should I lift them up a bit or take them out completely? I wear a 29.5 boot and it seems to have a steep lean, which is ok for the steeps but I seem to get leg burn quickly on the cruisey blues, which is probably a factor of lazy skiing, but may also be due to the lean on the boots?

Grizzler I’ll try taking them out on my next trip and see how I get on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sack the Juggler, play around with them. I presume they’re attached with velcro? I was just told to find the sweet spot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Couldn't stand mine in my Hawx Ultra boots so removed them, tried several times and just felt they just pushed me that bit out of position so I removed them. Tried them 2 more times in Hemel and didn't like them still (lost one now). So from my side I ski without mine in and the boots are fine.

EDIT: Not that was your question. In answer to that; I haven't got a scooby on the technical aspect but I did always feel like they were pushing me forward which then threw my balance so I ended up more in the backseat.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sack the Juggler, In all seriousness, what they said. I've p'eed around for many a year with spoilers and bits of foam here and there, front and back, trying to get the best feel and stance and fit in my boots.
Everybody's leg and muscle shapes and sizes are different. Assuming that you have a reasonable idea about a decent stance and skiing technique, and that your boots otherwise fit reasonably, you can only take the spoilers out, or put them in but try different positions, until you can work out what effect they have and how they affect your skiing. (Warning - you may well change your mind; several times... rolling eyes )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sack the Juggler, you'll have to ski with/without them to see if they help or hinder. They push you slightly forward and out of the back seat...but generally will be for a racing/performance line and a lower stance. I don't use them as my calves are getting a bit worn out these days but they're handy to have in the pocket for the odd Thursday dad's race... snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers all, I’ll try a week without them, see if it helps me stance any snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know this thread is old. Here is my experience. I ski'd with spoilers for my last half of last season. It helped me feel the front of my boots. I found a video or a thread (can't remember) that said most skiers don't need them. I took mine out and I honestly felt like I ski'd better. I found a better balance point that was more comfortable. This thread I found said they help you get in the front of your boots but any backwards pressure gets you in the backseat quicker, because your pressure back against the spoiler is now pushing the back of your boot? Even if none of that is true, I found I was more comfortable without them. Other people may find they ski better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just seen this thread.
My older boots didn't have spoilers but my "Lange XT120 Free" do. I'm thinking I might try them lower to increase cant. I particularly find putting in lots of rapid reaction turns (particularly tree-skiing in powder, which I love) is much easier like that. Previously I tended to keep the top of the boot a bit loose to allow me to cant more forward, but this makes the stance less stable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy