Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: 12 days at Whistler, hmm.. I mean Blackcomb!

Poster: A snowHead
I went to "Whistler" for 12 days. Well, I actually skied Blackcomb mountain! 10 out of 12 days, that is. Only did 2 days in Whistler.

(I started this as a "Live TR" on the first night of my arrival, but couldn't keep up with writing the report as the days gone by. I was getting pretty tired at the end of each skiing days...)

So, I'll fill in the rest of the trips now that I'm back home.

Day 1 — 1/31 Friday, Blackcomb mountain:
It can rain at Whistler... it can rain A LOT!

My shuttle dropped me at the hotel’s check in desk at almost noon time. The drive took longer than expected. And I had the luck of being the last guest to be dropped off. A little on the late side for starting skiing.

Another guest was extending his stay. So the skiing must be good to extend? “Well, it was good yesterday. But it’s miserable today. Too wet”

I know what he’s talking about. It’s raining at the village. And according to the condition report, it’s also raining even in mid-mountain level.

Whistler has a huge vertical. When it’s raining down at the village, often time it’s snow in the upper mountain! Indeed it is, the upper mountain is snowing. Except, none of the upper mountain lifts are running, due to high wind. Sad

A day better suited for relaxing in the hot tub or in front of the fireplace? Except my room’s not ready yet. Perhaps closer to 4, which is the normal check-in time. It was only 12 o'clock then. That's a long time for sitting in the bar. I was more worried about the bill than anything else. rolling eyes

Whistler has a lot of gondola. So I would only be exposed to the rain while skiing. Besides, I didn’t pay $400 for my waterproof jacket to stay indoor when it rains! (Yes, my pants are also waterproof, so are my gloves, boots of course).

My lodging, Blackcomb Spring, is half way up the slope above Blackcomb base. So I changed into my ski gear and skied down towards the Excalibur gondola. Except it wasn’t moving. Wait, it’s moving, just very slowly. But wait, it stopped. I was a bit confused. When I got to the bottom, I asked the liftie. “Don’t know why, it’s been stopping a lot”.

OK, change of plan. I jumped onto the little beginner lift that allows me to ski into Whistler base. There, I found the Blackcomb gondola running quite normally. So I jumped in. Hmmm... a bit of water got into my gloves from the cuff. Oh well, can’t be helped. I took my gloves off, hoping it’ll dry off just a little during the ride.

Off the Blackcomb gondola is the Excelerator Express quad chair. Lots of people were getting on. Perhaps they know something I don’t. Maybe the snow is best there? So I followed, got on the chair. It was quiet and calm. I’m a little baffled by all the wind hold on the upper mountain lifts. Can’t be that bad up high when it’s so calm here... Well, I got my answer 20 yards from the top of the lift. The wind blasted quite strongly as soon as we crest the ridge. Alright, going down.

The snow wasn’t too bad. Soft and forgiving. But it wasn’t the smooth cream cheese I expected from my past experience skiing in the rain. So after a few runs, I was looking for new directions.

I had signed up for the Extremely Canadian steep clinic for the next 2 days. And I forgot to tell them to include lift pass too. At $40/day, it’s quite a steal. So I skied down to Whistler base to stop by their desk.

Before I went into the building, I took off my wet gloves. It felt a bit heavy so I figure there’s probably more water than I realized. So I started to rinse... to my surprise, I managed to rinse a good deal of water out of it! Like rinsing a sponge!!! Shocked A guy sitting nearby was amused and shaking his head in disbelieve! Wish I had a video of that! Would have been good for a laugh!

Back on the Blackcomb gondola, I skied towards the upper part of the Excalibur gondola. It would take me to the Rendezvous lodge, the only mid-mountain lodge on the Blackcomb side. But the liftie came out and advices, due to high wind, the gondola was stopping a lot! OK, that explains why it seemed not moving much. He then advised the group of us congregating there it would take 20 minutes to get from mid-station to top. So I asked if he think it’s worth that long slow ride. He said “absolutely not!”, Rare I had such a negative advice.

I knew the visibility up there must be worse than where we were. And the snow condition wasn’t quite as good as I had hoped. And it’s only my first day. I didn’t feel like pushing so hard. So I turned around and started heading to my lodge.

By this point, the rain had gotten pretty heavy. My gloves, despite the rinse earlier, was completely waterlogged again. And I also felt some water had gotten into my sleeves as part of the same deal. So I took the shortest route back to my hotel. It’s only 3 o’clock. I don’t know if my rooms are ready yet. But I had enough rain IN me that I’m not staying out any longer!

Round 1, the rain of Whistler won!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 2-03-20 21:17; edited 6 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Damn rain! Your poor gloves... Laughing

Hope it turns to snow for you - have to admit, I'd have headed for the pub. Looking forward to the rest of your report!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well done for giving it a go.
Thanks for taking the time to post your report.
Wishing you better days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds very similar to our trip 2 years ago. More wet snow than rain lower down, but precipitation on all but one day. Same accommodation as well. 10 days and I only remember getting up into the alpine on about 3 of them. Massive queues when stuff did open. My lad lived there for 2 years so we do know how to get round, but we both felt a little disappointed. Day cat skiing was great as it snowed all day. One of the risks you take with the location.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@abc, enjoy your time with ex can , they are a great bunch , and will find the goods for you for sure
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@endoman, I came 4 years ago, stayed 9 days. Only got into the alpine zone 2 days!

But those were such fantastic 2 days!!!

I know what I’m in for. That’s why this time I’m staying 12 days.

We’ll see.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
best wishes, I was there 4 years ago as well, think I had a lucky week then, got up there every day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@endoman, i think that was the year i cancelled the accommodation and went to sun peaks instead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would not expect today to be any better...and while Whistler gets more than its share of this stuff, it isn't alone; the entire PNW is currently on the receiving end of an atmospheric river. Seattle's a car wash and the usual rivers will flood. Cooler tomorrow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
looking like Sunday will be a good un @abc steeps should be in good nick by then snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So frustrating - hope you get great conditions soon
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You would think nothing can be worse than rain in a ski holiday. Well...it can get worse. Sad

Day 2, Feb. 1, (Saturday) Blackcomb Mountain

The rain abruptly stopped at 7am, just as forecast said. The forecast also predicted the temperature will drop throughout the day.

So, what was wet snow from yesterday would be frozen over!

And as the rain only stopped at 7, there’s really no time for the groomer to break up the newly formed frozen chunks. Results? Where the groomer had flatten the surface overnight, it’s now a sheet of ice. Where the groomer didn’t bother to groom, it’s frozen mogul (or any random shaped ice mounts).

That’s for the lower and mid-mountain. Up high, it didn’t rain yesterday, it snowed. So that’s what we’re aiming!

But we wouldn’t know for sure until we actually ski it. And that part, was delayed because all the lifts are still down at 8:30, the scheduled opening time. A quick inquiry yield it’s due to to high wind. Not even the lower mountain lifts were running. Needless to say, the chance for upper mountain lifts are rather doubtful.

Still, all that were forecasted, so not exactly a surprise.

While the lifts were down, the line grew. The “maze” in front of the gondola had grown beyond the fences forming the “corral”. After all, it’s a Saturday!

Finally, the lifts started to run!

Because we were ski school, we have priority in lifts. So within a few minutes, the group went up to the top of the Blackcomb gondola, followed by the Excelerator quad. We were warned the run “could be icy”. We expected some version of ice too. Wink So when I dropped in, I was pleasantly surprised the snow was soft and grippy. “What ice?” Well, my pleasant surprise was short lived and soon replaced by reality of section of sheet ice interspersed by corral reef “ripples”. Even one of the instructor wiped out in front of all the students!

Yet we “cycle” in the mid-mountain because, as all skiers are perpetual optimist, we were waiting for the upper mountain lift to open any moment! This is a “game” Whistler regulars play to get fresh track on powder while waiting for the upper mountain lifts to open.

At 11, we break for an early lunch while the Jersey Cream lift was gearing up to open. As we had lunch, the crowd builds to unbelievable size. Even the ski school priority line got long. We tried the Excalibur gondola, which wasn’t any better. At one point, I got separated from my group. To get back with them, I lined up on the single’s line at the Excalibur. The wait for 30min!

To make a long story short. The upper mountain lifts never opened. Sad

The clinic itself is interesting. Befitting to the name of STEEP clinic, we focus on a short section at the Jersey Cream bowl right under the lift. I’m not sure how steep it really is. But it’s as steep as the steepest I’ve ever done. We skied it over, and over, and over, and... I actually got somewhat comfortable with that steepness towards the end.

So the day was almost a successful one, until a frog in our group (I’m still rather upset so will for once use that name for the Frenchman) wanted to skied a rather nasty narrow chute littered with icy mogul! Well, he skied it rather badly. And I got so fed up that I simply side slipped it the entire way! A total waste of time!

All day, explosion were heard all over the upper section of the mountain. Even on my last lift up, we saw a big avalanche came down the ridge. The several instructor who are also back country skiers quietly said this season the snowpack has been the most unstable they could remember.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 26-02-20 20:52; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@abc, shame ur first experience of ex can had to be on such a day , but wind rain and new snow are never a good mix , heard the winds were crazy at the top !!!
Hope you have a better day today and finally get into some good snow conditions to play in

Ps jersey cream wall is about 30 degrees at its steepest , and is always full of moguls so a good practice spot
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dabber, it’s not my first visit to Whistler. So I’m not entirely surprised. But my luck was somewhat better during my last visit.

I have the option to change dates on the clinic. But I was gambling on the top lifts opening midday which is often the case. Plus, I saw the crowd at the lift maze. I thought at least I’d get the benefit of the lift line cutting privilege while getting the instructions. But the condition was so horrendous we had limited choice of terrain for instruction had it not for Jersey Cream (only the top part) luckily escaped the rain the previous day

There’s no mogul at the lip of Jersey Cream (wasn’t any last time either). But the snow consistency is a bit weird.

I think it’s got to be more than 30 degrees. I did Highland bowl at Aspen, which was 40 degrees. This felt just as steep, though only a section less than 50‘ vertical. Perhaps it was the snow condition that makes it challenging.

I may exercise my option to postpone my 2nd day of the clinic if the top lift are still shut in the morning. I think I got the instruction part ok. I need to make the guiding part of the clinic worthy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chatting to locals when we were there a few weeks ago Vail has been very reluctant to open upper mountain. It didn't open any of the five days we were there. The snow pack is certainly more unstable than usual but there are some cynics who say it's also cheaper for Vail to leave things shut. The amount of anti Vail chat on the lifts was really quite something.
snow conditions
@abc,

"The wall located skier's right of the upper few Jersey Cream lift towers , 300m descent max incline 31'

Jersey Cream Wall refers to the pitch directly below the top few lift towers of the Jersey Cream Express. When getting off the lift, take a left and you will be able to immediately drop in. This line is short but leads you to Blue Line and the ability to access other lines before heading back down to the base of the Jersey Cream Express. Mostly a bumped up top section, this slope is not overly steep and can make for a fun, quick line of moguls that are very accessible right underneath the lift."

sorry if im talking about a different line

hope you get into the alpine today and the wind has left you some powder goodness snowHead
latest report
sweaman22 wrote:
Chatting to locals when we were there a few weeks ago Vail has been very reluctant to open upper mountain. It didn't open any of the five days we were there. The snow pack is certainly more unstable than usual but there are some cynics who say it's also cheaper for Vail to leave things shut. The amount of anti Vail chat on the lifts was really quite something.

don't believe its a financial decision , but definatly one based on safety , I was there early this season and got to see the PWL from November first hand ,and it was always going to be a very difficult season with that lurking underneath the snow pack , and also a few weeks ago there was nowhere enough cover in the alpine to make skiing the bowls an option , we did some tours to access what was available and it was interesting to say the least , now there's a good base high up im sure things will open up again if it stops snowing

https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/1866/IMG_0408.jpeg
latest report
@abc, I arrived in Whistler earlier in the week with Thursday being my first day on the slopes.

You won't thank me for telling you that Thursday was pretty amazing: clear skies and bowls full of fresh powder. But I'm impressed that you stayed out as long as you did on Friday. I had a private instructor and, despite the ruinous cost of tuition out here, we agreed to quit after lunch when the freezing level reached the mid mountain. No waterproofs, however expensive, will keep you dry in those conditions.

Saturday and Sunday were better, but I don't think I have never seen queues that long in 30 years of skiing. Without the instructor, I doubt we'd have managed more than a tiny handful of loops. When 7th Heaven finally opened today, we found some pretty sweet stuff, though. Shame the Glacier chair never opened - mechanical issues we were told - but even one Alpine loft was a bonus as the ski school had been warned that no upper lifts would open today due to avalanche risk.

Sadly, tomorrow is my last day. I couldn't have chosen a worse time to visit Whistler. That's the mountains in winter, I guess.

But, statistically, Whistler does have a higher rate of problem weather than most big resorts. And I think that Vail's huge focus on season pass sales has led to a big increase in visitor numbers - I have read a couple of news reports saying as much, and the place is definitely much busier than I would have expected. We're not in peak season yet but the crowds are extraordinary.

Still, there are positives. I'm in the Fairmont and there are few places better equipped to keep me happy on a bad weather day. Despite the weather, I've learned loads and my skiing has improved hugely. The beer is great and I'm looking forward to some good food tonight. And I'm not in work.

Overall, I'm a happy man.
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, tomorrow is expected to be sunny!

If any one of the top lifts open, there’ll be fresh tracks! And even if it no new top lifts, many of the lines accessible from 7th Heaven are still skiing quite nicely even at the end of today. So should ski well tomorrow.

It’s a Monday. so there should be not much competition or lines (I hope)
snow conditions
@sweaman22, “locals” can be quite jaded. They also tend to remember only the “good” old days.

My previous visit was “pre-Vail”. From my two 10 day visits, Whistler was and still is equally crazy-crowded, its most radical terrain open only sporadically then and now.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 3-02-20 7:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Oh yes, after 48 hrs, my wet gloves is finally dry! Smile
snow report
Have never been to Whistler. Understand it rains a lot in village but has huge vertical (by N Am standards, nothing unusual by European standards)

People talk about fresh track in the mountain when it rains in village. I assume that is likely to heavy wet powder for most of the mountain if the snow level is above village. (Maybe very top of mountain will be drier but more likely to be windpacked here?)
snow conditions
I’m not sure you’re allowed to say that on this forum.

When discussing my choice of Canadian resorts I was told I was wrong to discount Whistler because of the popular misconception that it often rained at low level and generally had heavier snow. I was told on the odd occasion when this does happen you just go high and there’s powder everywhere. I chose to go slightly less coastal for slightly cooler with a slightly reduced volume of snowfall.
latest report
peanuthead wrote:
Have never been to Whistler. Understand it rains a lot in village but has huge vertical (by N Am standards, nothing unusual by European standards)

People talk about fresh track in the mountain when it rains in village. I assume that is likely to heavy wet powder for most of the mountain if the snow level is above village. (Maybe very top of mountain will be drier but more likely to be windpacked here?)

It's a coastal snowpack for sure, so not really blower pow but there are degrees of moisture in snow and the alpine terrrain (above treeline in Whistler is generically referred to as "the alpine") generally has soft and perfectly skiable snow out of the "wet" storms rather than the wet clag you sometimes get in a "wet" storm in Europe i.e. you can make snowballs but not immediately squeeze water out of them. And that sort of fresh snow plasters in rocks well and can put on big totals in short timeframes. Plus usually better stability than places with an interior snowpack like Colorado.
latest report
@rogg this storm rained on pretty much all the interior resorts too. Kicking horse had rain up to half way and gondola had some down time as wind gusts were over 100kmph. Apparently red and fernie had rain to pretty much the top and also lift closures. So a little unfair to say this demonstrates a whistler problem.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
@rogg this storm rained on pretty much all the interior resorts too.... a little unfair to say this demonstrates a whistler problem.
It also washed out the road at Hemlock, should be fixed in a week or so.

As far as visitor numbers, probably that data's available somewhere. I'm not a local, but I drive through now and then and sometimes stay around. The general feeling is that the whole Epic thing has changed the demographics. It may be the beer talking, but the locals like the new visitors, who seem to prefer the popular places and aren't very adventurous. I'm not sure how true that is, but happy locals is a good thing.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/road-washout-leaves-hundreds-in-limbo-at-b-c-s-sasquatch-ski-resort
snow conditions
philwig wrote:

As far as visitor numbers, probably that data's available somewhere. I'm not a local, but I drive through now and then and sometimes stay around. The general feeling is that the whole Epic thing has changed the demographics. It may be the beer talking, but the locals like the new visitors, who seem to prefer the popular places and aren't very adventurous. I'm not sure how true that is, but happy locals is a good thing.

I can see that. What we tend not to realise in the UK and Europe, where we might view US & Canada as pretty interchangeable in skiing terms, going to Canada is a big deal or a "foreign trip" to some US skiers. Usually this manifests in things like surprise that they are not allowed to drive over the border because they have a DUI in their teenage past but it also manifests in a certain amount of conservatism in destination choice. So now WB is Vail owned and approved it has that seal of approval that it won't be too alien to them (& they can probably adapt to the wall to wall hockey and poutine and toques eh!). Whereas Banff has traditionally been "my first Canadian adventure" for UK skiers, helped by charter flights, it's not hard to see why WB is the same for US folk. & once there the sheer size of the mountains, while not being a big deal to Euros may be unprecented in their resort skiing experience.
snow report
@abc, We found (admittedly 20 years ago, gulp... is it really that long?) that these things were the most valuable piece of whistler gear, ski gee, https://www.tognar.com/skigee-goggle-wiper-assorted-colors-sold-each/

and gloves under cuff of jacket stops them filling up

hope it gets better, sure it will
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It may be the beer talking, but the locals like the new visitors, who seem to prefer the popular places and aren't very adventurous

I heard similar things. The new crowd tend to be more holiday focused than ski specific focused. A lot of them are happy with a few groomers in the morning and some non-ski activity in the afternoon. So the good stuff is actually getting less tracked out.
snow conditions
There is a reason why it is also known as P*ssler...
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
.You won't thank me for telling you that Thursday was pretty amazing: clear skies and bowls full of fresh powder.

No need to feel sorry for me. I’ve had 2 days of excellent conditions.

Yesterday (Saturday), first track at 7th Heaven. And in keeping with the steep clinic, was then taken to some pretty steep narrow chutes, which led to undisturbed fresh snow! Granted, with only 7th Heaven running, it’s a very convoluted trip of 2 chairs and a long traverse each time. So we didn’t get to do too many laps. And losing the visibility by midday didn’t help in speeding things along either. So my hope of “getting to know the mountain” didn’t exactly materialized. That said, the instruction was very helpful.

And as you very well know, today’s condition was excellent on the part of the mountain that wasn’t open yesterday. That’s pretty much all of the alpine zone! I stayed on the Blackcomb side. 7th Heaven in the morning before Glacier open. Then up the Showcase t-bar TWICE! Fresh tracks and occasionally bottomless powders on the steeper sections.
snow conditions
Quote:
I don't think I have never seen queues that long in 30 years of skiing. Without the instructor, I doubt we'd have managed more than a tiny handful of loops.

When the upper mountain chairs are closed, the mid-mountain lift queues gone way up!

I had this same condition on one day of my previous visit. Unlike this time, that previous day was just a half day delay opening to the upper mountain lifts. But even then, the lines got unreal! This time around, the upper mountain was down for 2 full days! I wasn’t the least bit surprised at the size of the queues.

In fact, part of the reason I decided to attend Saturday’s clinic was I couldn’t see myself standing in line for 1/2 each and every single time!

Even today, on a Monday, the queue were pretty massive at 7th Heaven! I only managed 1 run before I had to bail. Thankfully, Glacier opened shortly after and then the t-bar to Blackcomb glacier. That was one sweet run that I decided to repeat!

On the subject of the t-bar, I have to say the running of the Showcase t-bar is the shittiest I’ve ever seen anywhere else!

Even though it’s marked “Expert Only”, a good 20-30% of the people in the line were not. And many said they’ve never done a t-bar before. Needless to say, carnage was the theme! Every few minutes, there’s roar of cheer or laugh, it depends the subject of the focus either manged to stay on despite the initial struggle, or they fell off in spatacular fashion! As time had to be allowed for the victim to clear off the path, a few bars would have to go unused. And as the “faller” are being allowed back in as well, the line goes at only half of the rate as in most other t-bars.
ski holidays
@abc, what a day!

I was in the queue waiting for the t-bar to open today, shortly following two of the sweetest laps of the 7th Heaven powder fields that could ever be imagined. Maybe the lifties softened as the day went on but, when I was there, any fallers were being sent straight to the back of the queue. Desperate to avoid that fate, one boarder was dragged along the floor for at least 100m before he regained an upright position.

As you said, Blackcombe glacier was the stuff of legends: fresh, deep powder in glorious sunshine from top to bottom. I will never forget that run.

Tragically, I'm now in Vancouver airport sitting out a 3.5 hour delay to my flight.
latest report
Day 4, February 3 (Monday) — Redemption!

Overnight, it snowed only 3”. But I knew it’s just enough to ski well, on the groomed runs. More significantly, the sun is expected to be out in full force!

So, early up and get to the lift shortly after the opening hour. (The rational being I wish to miss the mis-informed “powder hungry” first chair crowd, as I know it wouldn’t be really “powder”, but just a 2” carpet of soft layer on top of the groomers). Surprise, surprise, the lift was late in turning! So there was a line!!!

Fortunately, it moved quickly. From the top of Excalibur, I cruise down the new snow carpet to the mid-station and jump back on the same Excalibur gondola back to the top. By then, 7th Heaven had opened! So a long tedious traverse as usual, I arrive at the bottom of the 7th Heaven chair with a relatively short line. After getting on top, I hung a right hand turn and started the long traverse well past where most people dropping in. Out the little gate marked “Expert Only”, I dropped in on the same line we did yesterday. The snow was soft and fairly deep, though not exactly bottomless. Back to the bottom of 7th Heaven chair, the line had by then grown to be entirely unappetizing!

Fortunately, someone mentioned the Glacier chair had opened! So instead of standing in line for 10-15 minutes, I took the long boring traverse back the Blackcomb mid-station. No line there. Back to the top and dropped into the Glacier chair. Surprisingly, it wasn’t too busy at all! It’s more like ski right on. I’m sure there’s a bit of initial rush, but I guess I missed it.

Showcase (t-bar) opened at 11:30 as promised. But the few minutes it took me to get up Glacier to reach it, the line had grown pretty long. Standing in line, we got to watch people skiing back down to the t-bar taking fresh tracks. Granted, that involves waiting in line again to get back up. Sad People in the queue were also treated with the spectacle of people falling off the t-bar every 4-5 bar. rolling eyes

A short boot pack hike too us up to the crest overlooking the Blackcomb Glacier. A huge bowl of fresh powder beckons. Most people dropped in early, leaving the snow at the far end of the bowl undisturbed. A long traverse took us to the far end and lovely untouched powder was harvested.

The path to ext also seen plenty of untouched snow just off the side of the main pathway. Just had to be careful not to get stuck at a low point and having to walk back up. With the sun and visibility, it’s easy to see one’s way around. It was so good I decided to go back up again. It’s a very involved process of 3 lifts and a fair amount of skiing plus a boot pack hike. But I got my 2nd lap. This time I stay even higher and traverse even further. Was rewarded with even deeper dry powdery snow, albeit not untouched.

Sadly, when I stopped to take some pictures, my phone gave up the ghost (reporting it’s out of power, but later it show it’s still at 40%). So although I got some good pictures earlier on, the best views were for my eyes only! Toofy Grin

As the weather was so clear, I wanted to get some more views, if not pictures, from as far up as I could at the end of the day. That means Rendezvous lodge at the top of Jersey Cream. I was hoping the lodge would stay open long enough after the last chair up (3:30) so I could just put some juice into my phone to take a few more pictures on the way down. I was in luck. So at 3:40, I went outside, took a few more panoramic, then started the long cruise down.

I managed to missed the entrance of my lodge at the side of the trail! Embarassed Fortunately, the beginner lift at the bottom was still running at 3:55. So I rode that to the top, which was at more or less the same elevation of my lodge entrance. Still end up having to take a short slightly uphill skate to reach my lodge. Very Happy
snow report
@Jonny Jones, yes, 7th Heaven and Blackcomb glacier were both stuff of legend for the average skiers. Because both can be easily handled by intermediate skiers (those who can manage the t-bar, that is).

On my 1st run up Glacier, I struggle with the dilemma of whether to hike Spanky’s Ladder to ski Ruby’s. Or endure the long line at Showcase, which I could already see, to ski Blackcomb glacier. But as I didn’t get to do Blackcomb glacier in my last visit, I so wanted to ski it this time. And knowing the t-bar had only just opened, I anticipated we would have a good chance of untouched powder. I’m glad I did.

Fantastic day today. Stuff dreams are made

Jonny Jones wrote:
Tragically, I'm now in Vancouver airport sitting out a 3.5 hour delay to my flight.

3.5 hour delay? Perhaps you care to trade position with me?

I’m booked on an Asian airline for my flight home (Cathay Pacific). Now with the US ban of Chinese travelers into the US, it’s no guarantee the flight will still continue to operate next week! Sad (Canada so far has no plan to ban Chinese entry into Canada. Fingers crossed)
snow conditions
snow conditions
@abc, just through the gates at the end of the traverse from 7th Heaven lift?

Looks amazing. It sucks that I'm back in work.
ski holidays
Glad your patience was rewarded, @abc, snowHead
latest report
@Jonny Jones, yep , just above lakeside bowl and xhiggy's meadows
ski holidays
Great place to be on a powder day xhiggys.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy