Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Exp 84ai vs Dynastar Legend x84

Poster: A snowHead
Hi -

Rossignol Experience 84ai
Dynastar Legend x84

Wondered whether any snowheads had realword / test experience with either of these two skis . . .seriously considering a belated Xmas pressie to myself (yet another) for end of Feb ski trip.

Currently on 2015/16 Experience 84's (which I love as they are like driving a comfy but powerful auto estate car) but looking to 'upgrade' sideways with the newer version or alternatively go with a slightly different ski / brand.

Reasons for change are

1 - Current skis are looking a little tired
2 - Fancy more rocker (which I understand both have) to facilitate more effective side country / crud busting foreys - on this basis may also go longer than current 178's to 184
3 - Want a bit more performance from an already good / easy /dad-ski set up.

Any views before I toss a coin? Head says Rossis - heart says Dynastars . . .help!

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rossis.....bought.

Unless I morph into Thovex overnight these will prob see me out for a few seasons...until my next wobble...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Belch: would be good to get your feedback, have been teetering on the edge of buying the Experiences for a while, never quite sure enough!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Belch: would be good to get your feedback, have been teetering on the edge of buying the Experiences for a while, never quite sure enough!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the 84ai in 176. They are a good ski. Very smooth, yet sharp enough to still be fun. They are fairly soft compared to the 88ti which require more effort. I find them just a little long for me (I’m 176cm tall), but I think having tried the 168 I can grow into the 176 skill wise.

Having had a week and a half of mixed snow conditions, I still prefer being on piste skis (Dynastar speed zone 12 Ti) for the precision and fun factor, however, on big snow days the Rossis were great and would carve well as well as riding over the crud. For me it was just the nimbleness I missed a little but as above that’s a length thing as ideally I’d have them around 172.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@EarthWindandWater,

Will feedback . . .by all accounts they are an easier ski than the previous version (different shape / more rocker) so that's what I'll be judging against. That and whether they can handle chop / crud / slush better any better . . .

Pretty good deal from snowcountry from the rrp (they're the same paintjob as last season - £320) and looking at next seasons sneak pics this will change to a black/yellow version (new paintjob) but not the ski itself . . .

My only nervousness is the length I've bought - at 176 they're 20mm shorter than the old ones (was on the verge of getting the longer 184's) but hope this is reflected in improved manoeuvrability and short turns down the fall line on steep runs. . .will also be driving them with stiffer 130 flex boots so it could all be a recipe for disaster or the best decision ever! . . . . .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EarthWindandWater,

So the answer is - me like!

Had a week of very mixed conditions in Saalbach (just got back) and must say the new Experience 84s performed brilliantly - I can only compare them to the older model but they are def an improvement in all areas - especially in the softer snow. The ability to smash through the smaller bumps and float in the soft stuff (we had a powder day on the last day) were a massive advantage last week and even in the heavy slush at the beginning of the week they were nimble / light enough to pilot.

Carving wise again an improvement - it felt much easier for me to flex and 'complete' carved turns prior to transitioning to the next which meant speed control on the steeper slopes was much easier (less skidding at the end of the turn) Weirdly it felt like I had to 'push' gently for a skid as and when required rather than flex for a carve (if that makes sense) which in my experience is the complete opposite of the older model . . .maybe its my dodgy semi-80's technique but this was definitely the case for me (6'1" / 210lbs).

Being honest they did initially feel 'short' at 176 (and compared to the previous 178 ski) and I could have definitely got away with the 184 length however once I got used to them they were fine - def recommend as a good all rounder and a comfortable, versatile holiday ski that can pretty much do it all on the frontside / side country runs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With the rocker 176cm is probably way to short for your height and weight! Ive got Some Black Crows Orbs in 183.4 and Dynastar X88 in 180cm , im 6ft tall and similar weight and 176cms do not have the same stability. But as you've bought them now, just enjoy them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@marksovereign, Wouldn't say they're way too short but agree that with the new rocker they def ski much shorter than the previous variants. Being honest if I had actually tested side by side I may have gone for longer versions however with my near half century rapidly advancing I'm no longer a speed freak and do appreciate the shorter turn rad / nimbleness these offer over stability. . .they are pretty effortless and not tiring at all which ticks my realistic requirements!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Defo too short.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, Well I like em - like all things time will tell!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been reading up on the experience 84 & was asking if they were suitable for a 100kg guy. Was advised by @spyderjon, that I needed the 184. I initially thought that was far to long for a 5'9" man as I currently ski experience 80 at 168 but then what do I know? My knowledge is 20 years out of date & this rocker shortening thing is all new to me.
I really need to find out how to try a pair, maybe I can see if local rental place has a pair I can rent for the day
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonny996, If you're going to France fine but don't expect to trial in Austria as most don't have many if any premium Rossignol skis in their rental ranges . . .this was def the case in Saalbach last week!

Cannot comment on your preferences / experience / requirements and probably do agree with Spyderjon in that on paper the 184s would 'possibly' be better for me - but then I was procrastinating prior to eventual purchase between these and the Experience 88s (which I would have prob gone for in 180s) at the same time so who knows. . .in a perfect world I would have tested all of them!

The increased rocker in this ski does make it feel 'shorter' than the previous version - fact. I wanted another 'easy' ski - the new 84/176's worked for me in a variety of conditions and when compared to several seasons on the previous 84's in 178 they were a significantly easier AND improved experience - fact!

Like all things its down to personal preference and I'm sure I'll be happy on these for a few seasons to come - unless I improve dramatically / get a lot fitter / become less risk averse I can't see myself changing soon. My advice is to be realistic about your own experience levels and requirement - remove any ego from your purchase decision! A 6'5" chap that was in our chalet was on 120 blades . . .he loved them and wouldn't ski on anything else!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
I have been reading up on the experience 84 & was asking if they were suitable for a 100kg guy. Was advised by @spyderjon, that I needed the 184. I initially thought that was far to long for a 5'9" man as I currently ski experience 80 at 168 but then what do I know? My knowledge is 20 years out of date & this rocker shortening thing is all new to me.
I really need to find out how to try a pair, maybe I can see if local rental place has a pair I can rent for the day

As someone who is 176cm, 67kg and skis the 84ai 176, I would say at 100kg you should definitely go for the 176 and not the 168. Personally I wish mine were about 172, but it’s a weight/height combo thing really... They definitely ski a lot shorter than a 176 of a piste ski as others have stated.

The one negative about the 84ai is they are quite a light ski. The 88ti is more damp and a bit heavier. I tend to prefer slightly heavier skis as I feel the ride is a little more plush sometimes, but light seems to be a marketing thing these days. I wish they made an 84ti in about 172. They are a good ski but I’ll probably go for something else next time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonny996, I'm not going to argue with Spyderjon as he knows his onions implicitly however without understanding / witnessing your actual skiing ability first hand one can only go on height / weight / stature and stated ability. You need to be honest about how you ski / where you ski and what you want to do with the ski you end up going for. I'm an unfit level 9 on the inside out scale - I'm not a racer or a freestyle thrill seeker - I want my skiing to be as easy as possible all over the mountain and when the mood / conditions dicatate!

As a non-expert I would say 176s will be fine and feel similar to your current 168s (in terms of length anyway) I'm taller than you but similar in weight (95kgs) and ski slow and fast(ish) as required . . . I know I could ski the 184 but if I wanted a stiffer / faster beast I would have prob gone with the 88s anyway.

These skis are still very piste orientated - they are light(ish) planks that feel shorter than their stated length - they are manoeuvrable in the bumps and smash through chop easily. They carve well at normal speeds and are easy to skid short turns at slow speeds. . .they also float fine in fresh powder - this is my personal experience - for the current money on these I say go for it and report back!
snow conditions
I had an email from a senior skiers group that said 60byear olds should be on 160 cm max so tried a couple of different makes at that length one was ok the other frightened me to be honest as couldnt stop them flapping about on hard pack, I'm 178 tall and around 75 /80 kg, what sort of length should I be looking at in the experience range, I want control and easy of turning in bumps/moguls rather than speed, do much advice our there just confuses sometimes
ski holidays
@robs1, Your "advice" from the senior skiers group, is bollox of the highest order.

As for length:

What standard are you?
How aggressive are you?
Where do you mostly ski (% On vs Off Piste)?
Which Rossi Experience Model are you looking at?
How stiff a ski do you like?
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@robs1, Your "advice" from the senior skiers group, is bollox of the highest order.

As for length:

What standard are you?
How aggressive are you?

Standard ? I cant say but we can ski any piste we find, tend to stick to reds and blacks as mrs likes quieter runs, go through bumps and moguls ok if not totally stylish, wouldn't call myself aggressive as knees are both knackered, want something that is good on ice but floats ok in powder, prob about 90% piste but with better skis would do more.
I want control over speed and ease of use to help my knees.
I use atomic white out nomads at the moment
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

As for length:

What standard are you?
How aggressive are you?

Standard ? I cant say but we can ski any piste we find, tend to stick to reds and blacks as mrs likes quieter runs, go through bumps and moguls ok if not totally stylish, wouldn't call myself aggressive as knees are both knackered, want something that is good on ice but floats ok in powder, prob about 90% piste but with better skis would do more.
I want control over speed and ease of use to help my knees.
I use atomic white out nomads at the moment

IMO. You should be looking at skis around the 180 mark.

If wanting a more forgiving ski, you'd be looking at the Exp 84. They don't come in a 180, and 176 is on the short side, so I'd be looking at a 184.

If looking at a stiffer ski, consider the Exp 88 in a 180

You might also look at the Scott Slight 83 in a 178, or Scott The Ski in a 180.
snow report
Thanks will see if I can hire some for a day before I buy
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
Thanks will see if I can hire some for a day before I buy

Always recommended.

Theory is one thing - Preference is another.
latest report
Well managed to find a shop that had some and hired them out to try, felt at home straight away, certainly float through powder ok and no problem in the crud that was about later and went down a steep unpisted red that had some pretty big lumps, I have to admit I did sit down once when someone went by on their back bottom luckily apart from my pride neither of us was hurt.
Did a deal on a new pair, wasnt as good as I could have got on the net by nearly 50 quid but would have had to have paid for the hire if I hadn't bought the shop ones, and they are now sat in the hall waiting for tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice
latest report
robs1 wrote:
Well managed to find a shop that had some and hired them out to try, felt at home straight away, certainly float through powder ok and no problem in the crud that was about later and went down a steep unpisted red that had some pretty big lumps, I have to admit I did sit down once when someone went by on their back bottom luckily apart from my pride neither of us was hurt.
Did a deal on a new pair, wasnt as good as I could have got on the net by nearly 50 quid but would have had to have paid for the hire if I hadn't bought the shop ones, and they are now sat in the hall waiting for tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice

Good, that sounds promising.

What model, at what length did you go for?
snow conditions
@robs1, although you pay a bit more - knowing that they are the right ones is worth it and safes spendings far more on the wrong ones. Glad you are sorted:-)
snow conditions
Good, that sounds promising.

What model, at what length did you go for?[/quote]

The experience 84ti, in the end I went for the 168 as dont want to put too much strain on my poor knees both of which have had operations on and now are beginning to suffer from serious wear and tear again,I'm notches heaviest bloke in the world so think they will be fine,
Got just over a month left this year to really master them, only trouble now is the missus has started looking at new ones too, she has really come on this having so long to practice, being doing lots of bumpy blacks which she would have refused to last year and even doing a bit of off piste too.
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:

The experience 84ti, in the end I went for the 168 as dont want to put too much strain on my poor knees both of which have had operations on and now are beginning to suffer from serious wear and tear again,I'm notches heaviest bloke in the world so think they will be fine,
Got just over a month left this year to really master them, only trouble now is the missus has started looking at new ones too, she has really come on this having so long to practice, being doing lots of bumpy blacks which she would have refused to last year and even doing a bit of off piste too.

If they work for you and help protect your knees, then that's what counts.....and why trying them out for yourself is so useful.
latest report
@robs1, can I ask what you paid for them?
snow conditions
500 euro, they were up for 619 I think, was his last pair
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy