Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so having done some research around Sella Ronda I’m sold, it seems to be an incredible area.

I have three reservations, it’s all quite low, appreciate that being further east means snow lines lower but is it really snow sure in March, lots of talk of artificial snow in trip reports on here, is that sufficient if the natural stuff is sparse?

Accommodation, Airbnb’s don’t seem to be that cheap, limited packages available too, any handy hints?

Also, how accessible is it in a hire car if the weather is poor, (Arabba or Corvara are my preferred towns at this point)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Raptor23 wrote:
Ok so having done some research around Sella Ronda I’m sold, it seems to be an incredible area.

Also, how accessible is it in a hire car if the weather is poor, (Arabba or Corvara are my preferred towns at this point)

I have only done it from the north and west. Access from the south might be different. There are relatively high "passes" between towns, often with sharp switchbacks. I would be a little uncomfortable driving those roads in heavy snow. But in good weather the roads are well maintained and easy to navigate provided you don't get distracted by the beautiful scenery.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Valtournenche. Cheap flight to Turin. Cheap car hire. The cable car links in from Valtournenche to Cervinia/Zermatt
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
starkraving wrote:
Valtournenche. Cheap flight to Turin. Cheap car hire. The cable car links in from Valtournenche to Cervinia/Zermatt

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have got taxi transfers to Corvara from Venice and the roads are fine. However, it’s quite a long drive (approx 3 hours). Innsbruck is closer (2 hours) but it is more susceptible to closures if visibility is bad, and the only time we flew there, we nearly missed our flight home as the main pass was closed due to avalanche risk. Our taxi couldn’t get to us (but didn’t know until they got to the road closure) and we had to frantically find another taxi ASAP. We have met quite a few people who have had their flights to Innsbruck diverted to Munich which made what was supposed to be a short transfer a right pain. Obviously this is completely weather-dependent, but we now fly to Venice as it’s cheaper and we feel is more reliable.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Raptor23, Saalbach already mentioned, others in Austria with plenty of kms and no need for buses and good for March include Mayrhofen, Serfaus and the Gasteins (as long as you get accommodation in the right place to avoid busing). Plenty more too but those are all good and likely to be decent mid March.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oops, sorry just seen you've decided on Sella Ronda, ignore me! Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s only low compared to Cervinia-Zermatt. San Cassiano is the second highest resort I’ve stayed in, in the alps (after Mottaret). The drive from Venice via Cortina or Zoldo is straightforward, only 1 mountain pass, Valparola, 2000m. Corvara is I guess 15mins further on. Arabba is about the same time via Zoldo and Alleghe. It’s plenty cold enough but the climate is quite different to the central and western high Alps. It’s much drier so snowfall is variable, sunshine seems to be the norm. The snowmaking and pisting are amongst the best in the world. Alta Badia has a pretty good website for accommodation. Maybe there is also one for Arabba. It’s a different valley so different tourist association.

Corvara and Arabba are very different. Corvara is a decent size village surrounded by blue runs and great scenery. Arabba is a little village surrounded by BIG mountains and most runs are reds and blacks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again. Going to look at package options I think. The local lodgings look quite pricey. The amount of skiing available is simply incredible.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right, taken the plunge and booked flights to Verona, car hire seems cheap enough and shared transfers also seem to be widely available. Seems like accommodation options are cheaper in Val di Fassa.

I’ve an option very near to the Buffaure lift in Pozza and another near to the Campitello cable car, can anyone tell me any major differences between the two village areas please? Think I’m comfortable with the skiing differences having to download in Campitello and being at mercy of a couple of key lifts to join the wider area if I stay near Buffaure.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd agree with @what...snow that Sella Ronda offers a richer experience for the skier than Soldeu (having done the latter a few weeks ago, and the former a few years ago), but then it might be easier to find accom with a pedestrian commute in Soldeu than in SR. YMMV
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raptor23 wrote:

Having to get a bus to get to the slopes is an absolute no. Rules out loads of Austria.

I must have imagined that Gondola across the road in Hinterglemm at Christmas.
I also was just looking at an apartment on the bottom of the Streiff run in Kitzbuhel on Airbnb.
Both of these are under £1000 for the week,

You just need to check locations carefully.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Drammeister, I get a similar "mirage" when I look across the road from our front door - looks exactly like a gondola station, but I must be dreaming wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valtournenche is not far from cheap flights into Turin. Get a hotel near the lift which takes you up to a Cervinia area and of course Zermatt. It’s cheaper than Cervinia with the same ski area. You can get flights for around £100 including baggage and car hire is very cheap - maybe £30 for the week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy