Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Real contingency plan needed - daughters passport expired

Poster: A snowHead
ok, flying 9am tommorrow, checking passports and my 6 year olds expired Dec 2005.

British Passport helpline was all very nice, but they are shut! Earliest they could issue a passport would be Wed in Durham, all other places fully booked!

French embassy - shut

jet2 helpline - shut

Any bright ideas? Tempted to turn up at the airport anyhow and see what happens.....

Regards,

greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Write her name in yours? Like we used to before kids passports came along?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trailfinders run an express passport service and might be able to help but I think 9am tmrw might be pushing it a tad (lot)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, You'll be fine provided your flying within the E.U. Take some I.D., birth certificate etc and plead ingnorance has worked for us on the few occasions it's happened and infact that was outside the E.U. ie Geneva. Good Luck. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers Steve,

Checking the French embassy website it says you need passport or ID, so have got birth certificate + something with her name & address + EU health card with her name on so fingers crossed!

Good job I'm flying to Chambery not Geneva!!! Will go wax my skis....and hope for the best!

Regards,

greg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good luck gregh, hope you, and daughter!, get through OK Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, Good luck. We are definitely NOT obliged to have passports in the EU, and it's pretty rotten of Britain to be the only country to insist on it. You should be fine getting into France, butmight have to argue the toss in good old Blighty.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take ALL of the ID you have for her - birth certificate, your passports, your marriage certificate, your birth certificates All of this proves that a) he/she exists and b) he/she is yours.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
last time I flew into Chambery there was no sign of any passport control, or customs. it will be the airline flying you out who might notice - but my daughter in law recently went on a school trip (as a teacher) with my son's passport, by mistake, and although it was examined several times, they never noticed....

good luck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
have just checked with friends who flew into Chambery last Monday - they didn't have any checks on arrival, so if you get airborne, you should be OK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, that's the point though - it's only Britain that feels the need to be so "separate" to maintain a national identity. We're the only country separated by water and therefore the only one that seems to think all foreigners are some sort of evil drug lords!!! i seriously resent having to show my passport coming back into the UK when I've driven all over europe without haveing to show it once - in a UK registerd car too!!! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it maybe the airline in Blighty that stops you - they can be fined for allowing people to travel on an invalid passport. Hope you get through mate !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Broadsword calling Danny Boy.........Broadsword calling Danny Boy...........

It's after 09:00 - wonder if they got there............
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This year in the EU I have had rigorous passport scrutiny leaving Stuttgart, Ancona and Grenoble. Other times passport control has been pretty relaxed. Hope all goes well this time - but I wouldn't take it for granted a passport doesn't matter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh, sorry a bit late (but maybe someone can tell me if right/wrong) i might be wrong but i thought that within the EU you could travel on your passport 6 months after it had expired........it's a vague recollection so things may have changed Puzzled
latest report
Dan, Laughing Vague it is.
ski holidays
bh1, that's just me NehNeh
ski holidays
I guess no news is good news Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I brought a 15 year old Belgian girl (step-neice) into the UK without a passport...

I trust everything is OK though because as you say no news is good news, if it hadn't worked he'd have been back ranting and raving by now! Very Happy
snow report
right I'm back, loads to do so this will be short.

They flat refused to let my daughter on the flight, so I went with my youngest and my wife and oldest stayed. My wife was great, she rang every UK flight operator and all said she could not travel without a valid passport.

So she got an appointment at the passport office Wed, then got a cancellation for Tuesday, managed to find a friend with a spare passport application form over the bank holiday form, got it all sorted Tuesday, flew out Tues PM, arrived 11:20pm at the chalet with a v tired 6 year old, but had a great week!

rEgards,

Greg
ski holidays
gregh, awful. It happened to a friend, and they let her travel (to Crete I think).
latest report
when did that happen Helen, basically no UK flight operator we spoke to would let it happen Sad
ski holidays
gregh, a coule of years ago now, it would have been brittania as they are Thomson shareholders.
ski holidays
I guessed as much, I think those days are long gone now.....
ski holidays
gregh, after 9/11 though.
ski holidays
Loads of the low cost carriers won't let you board domestic flights without a passport - never mind Channel hopping.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian wrote:
Loads of the low cost carriers won't let you board domestic flights without a passport - never mind Channel hopping.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/airlines/story/0,,1693586,00.html
latest report
Hard luck, Mrs gregh and daughter of gregh. It seems pretty poor that you can't get a passport the same day if you're prepared to queue and pay a premium.

I assume the reason that UK is strict on the need for passports to enter the country is that it believes, rightly or wrongly, that other EU borders are not secure and so the only way to kepp illegal immigrants (and terrorists) out is to have strict controls at UK borders, which by their nature are less porous. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I assume that that is the logic.

I can't imagine any airline allowing you on without a passport. An airline flying someone into the UK (the inevitable return leg for the greghs) is responsible for taking someone denied entry to the UK back to somewhere which will take them (I believe). A nightmare for the airline, so they're unlikely to take the risk.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 24-04-06 9:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DavidS, thanks for that. Big Brother IS watching you. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
richmond wrote:
Hard luck, Mrs gregh and daughter of gregh. It seems pretty poor that you can't get a passport the same day if you're prepared to queue and pay a premium.

I think the fact it was a) a Sunday and b) Easter weekend with Monday as a bank holiday, compounded the issue with getting the new passport!

regards,

Greg
latest report
kuwait_ian wrote:
DavidS, thanks for that. Big Brother IS watching you. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Bit Stasi-like, isn't it?
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, I think domestic flights only need photo ID, a passport is not necessary. A photo driving licence is acceptable.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, can't be definitive since I've not done any internal flights recently but I definitely saw some stuff in the UK media about passports maybe a year or so back. They may well have changed things since there was certainly a bit of a stink about it all. TKS for your input.
snow report
Of course, It's only the cheap airlines, I don't think BA require the passport.
snow report
In January one of our party lost their passport whilst in Italy. The tour operator switched them from the BA flight they were supposed to return on, as "BA will never allow them on without a passport" to a charter flight which "we'll get him on no problem". True enough, they arrived back in UK without a problem, and passport control here just let them through after checking their driving licence.
snow conditions
gregh, I'm not surprised. Normally no airline would now let a British citizen make their initial departure from the UK on the basis of anything less than a passport. These days you can't expect to chance it for any flight travelling outside the UK - so make sure your passport is up-to-date.

But if, like my husband you board with your passport but forget to take it off the plane with you to Chambery passport control....

[cue much slapping of foreheads and glaring at husband].

Chambery security kept us that weird limbo (not in Britian, not in France) until plane was searched but passport remained unfound.

The finally decided that, as we were travelling on a standard ski holiday with a registered well-known UK tour-op (probly helped that we looked like typical TO punters, husband was UK citizen, and we'd flown in from UK), they would let husband enter France and continue his ski holiday. On understanding that he returned to UK thereafter..... Laughing

In resort husband contacted UK embassy in Lyons and got them to fax him confirmation of his UK citizenship. Chambery passport control thought the fax sufficent evidence of national identity, and let him exit France to return to UK on the scheduled charter flight. Waving the fax at Gatwick also seemed to do the job - he declaired his passport lost and signed a form, and Gatwick let him in no problems.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy