Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many unlinked resorts from L'Aple d Heuz to Sauze d Oulx?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning to have a go to Austria Zillertal "OR" France/Italy Milky Way. For the MIlky Way but need to know the number of resorts along the road from L'Aple d Heuz to Sauze d Oulx.

Only been to L'Aple d Heuz and Les Deux Alpes but thinking of driving through the valley de Guisane to see what the other places are like.

From the map the unlinked resorts seem to be

L'Aple d Heuz, Les Deux Alpes, La Grave, Serre Chevalier, Briancon, Montgenevre, Cesana, Sestriere and Sauze d Oulx.

Have I missed others or some of the above are linked?

Away from the main valley road of N91/N94/S24 there could side roads to places like Bardonecchia, Puy St. Vincent and Vallorie too but that may be difficult to fit in with accommodations along the main route.

Any suggestion on accommodation and time needed to cover these areas. Just want to sample one of the biggest skiing areas and aware of the snow may not be always ideal. Thinking of spending 10 days to two weeks there. Probably not easy to get accommodation for say 3 to 4 days each time and hopping from one end of the valley to another end.

Trying to avoid the French mid term break so planning to go near the end of January.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Briancon & Serre Che are linked.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee,
Briancon is linked with Serre chevalier. Montgenevre ,Claviere, Cesana, Sansicario, Sestriere &Sauze d'Oulx are all linked as the milky way though the link at Cesana is not fantastic. Puy St Vincent and Bardonnechia are slightly off the road though no more so than 2 Alpes.
Valloire is well off the beaten track as the high passes will not be open.

There are a couple of smaller areas Le Chazalet and a couple of tows at col du Lautaret but they do not amount to much.

A pass for 6 days or over for Serre che, milky way, PSV 2 Alpes and Alpe d'Huez covers you for a day in the other ones.

From Briancon all of serre che, PSV, and Montgenevre are readily reachable. For 2 Alpes Alpe d'H and La Grave you have to go over col Lautaret which is usually open and they are not to far for day trips though Alpe D'h may be 1.5 hrs plus. The other milky way resorts and Bardonnecchia you have to go over col Montgenevre but are reasonably reachable. no more than 40 mins - 1 hr max
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, I should think if you base yourself in Briancon for the longest period you'd be fine. It's about 1.5 hours from here - a bit further to ADH. After that you could try to stay in LG to do this end of the trip. I presume that pulsing discos are not your main concern?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski,

You are right. I go there to ski and enjoy the mountains and so can do with a good night sleep for the next day challenge. Would La Grave be easy to find accommodation?

Look like Briancon is a strategic location to cover French/Italian border.

Should be fun going back to L2A as I was a blue-run skier then. By the way do many skiers go down to La Grave from L2A end? How do they get back to L2A? Hard to imagine there could be a ski bus running between the two resort, may be just a normal bus service like every two hours?

T Bar,

So I should concentrate in driving to

L'Aple d Heuz
L2Alpes
La Grave
Serre Chevalier/ Briancon
Montgenevre/Claviere/Cesana/Sansicario/Sestriere/Sauze d'Oulx
plus other side resorts if interested?

Obviously I need to spend a number days as necessary in each to cover the area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee,
For me it would depend on what I wanted to do most and how long I was going to be there for, and a bit on where the snow is good.

Serre Chevalier is the base most in the middle of all the areas at one end is Monetier at the other is Briancon, they are probably about 20 minutes or so apart. From the Briancon end the milky way resorts are easy to get to as is PSV (Well worth a visit) From the monetier end it is probably less than 30 min to La Grave and less than an hour to 2 Alpes. You do have to watch what type of lift pass you are going to get if you want to ski any area on more than one day as the lift passes will only give you one day in each of the other areas even though there may be several resorts, there is only a small discount for La Grave, if going with a guide he my well be able to buy you the ticket at a cheaper price than the discounted price.

Some years there are very different snow conditions on either side of the col du Lautaret, so if booking late this may colour your thinking. I have mainly stayed in self catering accommodation but a few years ago the Hotel Vauban in Briancon was a pleasant friendly place to stay.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, A fair number go over to LG from here, especially now there's a tow of sorts (piste machine and ropes with T bars). To get back you either take their poma and walk back over the summit or you go right down and hitch/get a taxi. Alternatively you can park in LG anyway. I would think you could get accommodation if you're thinking of January, and the Vallons/chancel are unlikely to be very good by then, so the place is unlikely to be full. they have a good website www.la-grave.com . There are about 3,500 beds in LG. You have to get 6 day passes for the freebies to click in, so you'd probably be better off getting day passes wherever you go. LDA 6 day gives you 2 days in ADH, free LG, 1 day Serre Che, I day PSV (bizarre - much too far to go)! Sestriere etc are not included in the deals over here.

I don't think it's really practical to drive over the Col de Lauteret more than once a week - it's too far and the road can be very dodgy. Definitely better to do a 2 centre holiday and drive on either side. Briancon is a really nice town BTW. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski & T Bar,

Thanks for the input. Really appreciated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy