Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Snowchains In Summit County, Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are flying to Denver next week for a road trip which will include the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Silverton.

After driving the route last year, and striking it lucky with the road conditions (ie free of snow) I intend to equip myself with snow chains for the drive this year - just in case. The thousand foot drop, and narrow road with no crash barriers, tended to focus the mind... Shocked

So the question is... is there anywhere around Georgetown/Dillon/Frisco (where we will be spending the first couple of nights) where we can buy snow chains? And, if so, would it be possible to take them back at the end of the trip for a refund if they are unused?

Failing that, I could try Glenwood Springs, Delta or Ouray, which are towns en route to Silverton.

Or, alternatively, would snow socks be available as an alternative?

I'm wondering if Colorado has an equivalent of the UK's Halfords, or whether chains/socks are widely available in US supermarkets - I've not looked on previous visits.

Any advice would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best bet is a Walmart in Denver on the way out (there's one right off I70 at Lakeside in Arvada) but they only seem to get stock in once a season so when its gone its gone. They do take returns though will check they are unused. About $45 or less

Otherwise O'Reilly autoparts stores are just about everywhere - think they aren't so generous on returns not unreasonably. Gas stations sometimes have them too e.g. ones in Idaho Springs will probably advertise them

Make sure you buy rubber tensioners as well. Cables are a lot less hassle to fit than the old style chains. I wouldn't use snow socks and have never even seen them in the US
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
I wouldn't use snow socks and have never even seen them in the US
Now permissible in France, as I understand it Puzzled So would assume they work fine...I know that the police in upper Weardale, County Durham, have been known to carry them and have stuck them on stranded vehicles to get them away - eg from near Weardale ski area, which is on a tricky/notorious snowy road...I've bought a pair for my wife's car but yet to try them in anger. Easy enough to fit - & a bargain at £17 on Ebay...(I have chains for my car.)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably too late for original poster, but....

There is a Autozone store, a Target, and a Lowe's all just north of Interstate 70 (turn right) at the
Silverthorne/Dillon exit. And a Walmart at the first Frisco exit a few miles further on I-70, as well
as another Walmart in Avon between Vail and Beaver Creek.

As previously noted, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they start to run out of some winter driving
needs earlier than you might expect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister, Walmart in Frisco does have some but limited supply (was there 2 days ago). Not sure if you are going or already been on hols so may be too late.

Walmart you can get away with returns, might not even need the receipt. They give money back in cash if you pay by cash, else it's store credit. If you open the chains and use them, you might be able to buy a cable tie and reapply to return. I doubt Walmart will know as they do not open boxes when taking returns, granted morally questionable behaviour.

cost ranges from 30 to 50$.

good luck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy