Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tail delamination - ideas to fix?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all, I have a rather aged pair of skis and the tail had a bit of a delam going on which seems to have got worse. They were very 2nd hand and not much life left but I can't be bothered to find replacements and the Mrs might not approve the budget.

I am thinking chucking a dod of araldite in and clamping. any better ideas? They're sharp and waxed and so don't need to face the machine again, ever. For occasional use only.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 part epoxy the crap out of them. Clamp for as long as possible. Trim off any junk remaining. Be very careful when standing them on tails thereafter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dry the tails over the top of a warm radiator for a day or two. Clean out inside the delam as best as possible including any rust on the upper side of the metal edge. Using a flexible waterproof two-part slow cure epoxy like Araldite Precision/Standard (ie not a fast set). When you've mixed the epoxy warm in up a bit (hairdryer or sit it on a rad for a min) so it does runny.

Stand ski upright on its tip and get loads of epoxy in there. Squeeze out the excess and wipe off then fold a piece of grease proof paper over the tail before clamping. Use thin blocks of wood or similar on either side under the clamps to spread the load and stop the clamps marring the surfaces. Let cure for 24 hours before trimming/filling/sanding off any excess epoxy. If you let it cure off over the top of a warm radiator then it'll cure off overnight and can be skied the next day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, thanks, they're proper dry after a couple of weeks in my office. Slow cure epoxy a good tip, thanks. Hairdryer for the epoxy I hadn't thought of. Will do that also.

@Dave of the Marmottes, Cheers also.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At risk of subverting your post @under a new name, and certainly not questioning the advice already given, but it looks like both the base and the structure above the ski's edge have effectively been released from their bonding by corrosion? Can't get enough resolution in image but it appears so.

My point, not to interfere with your repair, but it would seem to offer a good example of creeping corrosion of the edges. This is often dismissed on here as "it'll clean up when you next ski them" but if left to propagate it will ordinarily do this internally with the bond integrity still intact, but left adhering to a thin layer of steel corrosion, that's no longer attached to the ski edge.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, I was thinking possible frost damage from being left for weeks (years?) in the garage where the water collects. It's really not a big issue as the last resort would be just to cut the ends off.

Oh, and probably go to the ski sales early season and see what I can pick up.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As @spyderjon, said
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd add one extra detail to @spyderjon's instructions - I also use a hairdryer (or heat gun on low setting) while applying the epoxy, to keep it runny and to blow it into the narrowest gaps. Given the state of the ski, I wouldn't worry about over-heating it.

That said, given the edge is separated in both directions, I wouldn't be over-optimistic about how longer the repair will last
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So... update #1 (currently clamped and curing in the garage).

I think @ski3 you are spot on on diagnosis. On close inspection the closest to the p-tex layer had corroded to dust (does titanal do that?). The folks in the shop had noticed that the delam had started a couple of years ago (see how often I don't use them).

I would note that these are skinny GS skis so it's only about 3 cms damage - photos look worse than it is - and not in any way active part of edge. So really a "cosmetic" repair is all I need.

I removed all the corroded material, sanded everything, de-dusted, dried and as I am not spending any money on them, used the Sader two pack 5 minute epoxy I had in the cupboard ( Embarassed ). Stack of old credit cards to spread the load and as many clamping devices as I could fit on.

Will know tomorrow how it looks... Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, yes the Titanal can, as we know, be described as aluminum alloy and treated as such for corrosion resistance. The process by which it happens is "Galvanic corrosion " and will facilitate the aluminium as a sacrificing anode which will effectively be "eaten" by the reaction to the steel component.

https://www.ssina.com/education/corrosion/galvanic-corrosion/ Gives a good overview and appreciation of how it affects different materials.

Shhhh, don't tell anybody, but I always spray my skis with a well known water dispersion liquid prior to any storage Very Happy I'd prefer not to deal with the corrosion and thus keep the metal's integrity as primary protection for their overall structure.

In my view, as I've mentioned previously, the just leave them and they'll clean up on next use doesn't ordinarily prevent the corrosion creeping into the ski structure.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ski3, sacrificial destruction was exactly what it looked like.

So....

Good enough for govt work I think. Some minor improvements to be made. If I ever do it again, I shall do better.

Pix tomorrow once it's light.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting to see how you get on.

Failing that, you could use countersunk copper rivets put in from base side, in "clinker built " fashion. Give them a bit of a steam punk feel Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski3, I am loving that idea.

I have some appropriately sized “chicago” bolts ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take the bandsaw to them and make 'em Bobtails.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So here we are

There is a slightly raised area at the start of the joint about 0.5mm (effectively, as it curves away shortly thereafter) which will not be noticeable.

Things that I think would have gone better:

1. using Jon's "slow" epoxy would have allowed more careful positioning/clamping

2. then using wooden strips rather than credit cards and more clamps would have allowed a more gradual squeezing out of the epoxy, I think.

But for what is required, should be OK.
snow conditions
@under a new name, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing A beer or two could have saved you a lot of trouble, stick to (the) Meds bud!!!!
snow conditions
@CH2O, Thanks! TBH, I wouldn't have thought the skis worth bothering you for.

However... I do have an old pair of Salomons that could do with being re-vibramed... I will call past Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy