Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel insurance with a pacemaker

Poster: A snowHead
My "fit" wife unexpectedly had a pacemaker fitted in December to treat "heart block", has anyone found a good insurance supplier for this condition? Direct line, my existing supplier said they would not offer cover for this condition.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MPI are pretty good with pre-existing conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have both heart block and a pacemaker, and I am using Ski Club insurance. There was an additional charge, but they seemed happy to provide cover.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a pacemaker because of 2nd degree, type 1 heart block (albeit asymptomatic) and have been covered for years by Nationwide, who appear to be a wrapper for Direct Line, for a small additional premium. However there are different types of heart blocks which might be an issue or it could be the timing because they like a period of stability before taking on the risk. Even Snowcard covered my pacemaker condition before they went completely to pot on the underwriting side of things.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nationwide travel insurance is through Royal Sun Alliance.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells wrote:

The Nationwide house insurance is through RSA (they changed from Direct Line a year or so ago) but my Nationwide travel insurance is most certainly through Direct Line and we are currently in a claims process having gone through repatriation and preliminary medical costs reclaims.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, when I went through the questionnaire with Direct Line this morning they didn't have "Heart Block" as an option so put down Bradycardia which is different. Her diagnosis was 1st degree heart block with intermittent 2nd degree heart block type 2.

I'll try with one of the other suggested insurers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ASDA insurance policy wanted a LOT less to cover my shoulder impingement than the ones that underwrite the Nationwide Flex plus account. Be worth trying them for a quote.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, Asda significantly cheaper.

Ski Club quote for both of us for annual European cover - £203

Asda quote for both of us for annual European cover - £122

We normally have about 4 or 5 European trips per year so only a cost of about £12 to £15 person person per trip so no big deal.

Previously we had our travel insurance for free with our Direct Line home insurance which had about a £50 uplift over the basic policy cost, and they did pay out £500 for a weekend trip we had planned in December and had to cancel, so up to now their service was good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JimboS, yes I found same, plus gives you end supplier failure which a lot of policies don’t.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a company called insurewith that offers insurance for a huge range of preexisting conditions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We use Free Spirit travel insurance good for the family as my wife has both a pacemaker and also has epilepsy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think that insurance has been covered, but I do ski with someone with a pacemaker and the automatic gates in Tignes/VdI (therefore probably most places) all have no pacemaker symbols on them so she has to have a manual check of the pass, until the lefties recognise her. Maybe worth learning the local word for pacemaker. Quite handy for jumping the queue though!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, That's interesting, whereabouts is the sign ? These are the gates in Alpe d'Huez and never noticed it on them, but then was not looking for it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll have to have a look, but they were only about the size of a little finger nail. I guess if you need to you look for them.
ski holidays
jtr wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

The Nationwide house insurance is through RSA (they changed from Direct Line a year or so ago) but my Nationwide travel insurance is most certainly through Direct Line and we are currently in a claims process having gone through repatriation and preliminary medical costs reclaims.

Oops sorry, mixing up my home and travel policies, as I have both. My Nationwide home policy always used to be with LV= until recently.
latest report
@chocksaway, Got me interested now rolling eyes I found this on an american ski resort website :-

Q:What about pacemakers?
Answer:JHMR Skidata lift access system is CE certified and complies with all standards. It was found that with the proper use of Skidata devices there is no danger for persons using pacemakers when passing hands free entry systems at the lift. However, for general reasons of precaution and compliance with the general requirements applicable, the general recommendations for using electromagnetic units should be observed and the following rules should be adhered to:

Guests with pacemakers should not wear their lift access media cards near the heart when passing through the gate and a distance of 8 to 12 inches should be observed in the case of queues and while passing through the gate.

If you prefer not to pass through the gate, please alert our validation staff at the lift and you will be given alternative direction for lift access.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
I think that insurance has been covered, but I do ski with someone with a pacemaker and the automatic gates in Tignes/VdI (therefore probably most places) all have no pacemaker symbols on them so she has to have a manual check of the pass, until the lefties recognise her. Maybe worth learning the local word for pacemaker. Quite handy for jumping the queue though!!!

There used to be a pacemaker warning sign on the readers at the old gondola station at Courchevel 1550. I don’t recollect seeing them at the new station. Personally, I don’t worry about them and have never had a problem with my pacemaker going through any lift readers. The chairlifts that have the magnets attached to the outer seats for the kids harnesses e.g. Aiguille du Fruit in Courchevel, are more of a potential problem although on the one occasion when I got caught out by this I just leant forward and all was OK (inverse square law and all that). As always, it is wise to check but I believe that modern pacemakers have an “interference” mode where they will pace at a pre-determined level e.g. 50 or 60 bpm until the interference is removed. I’ve only encountered this when it was tested in hospital by the technician putting a stuffing big magnet on top of the pacemaker. The feeling is pretty unmistakable.

My current pacemaker (my third) is MRI proof, although the heart leads are over 20 years old, so that is pretty academic.
ski holidays
[quote="chocksaway"I do ski with someone with a pacemaker and the automatic gates in Tignes/VdI (therefore probably most places) all have no pacemaker symbols on them so she has to have a manual check of the pass, until the lefties recognise her. Maybe worth learning the local word for pacemaker. Quite handy for jumping the queue though!!![/quote]

We've been there for 3/4 times recently and never noticed this Shocked I presume because my wife has the badger in her arm pocket he isn't close enough for it to make any difference.
snow report
@Rob_Quads, I think if she has a badger in her pocket she has more to worry about wink Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Just an update to my post about Nationwide/Direct Line travel insurance and my claims for earlier this year, I've been happy with the way they processed all of the claims and associated costs especially given that they all of the Flybe and latterly Covid-19 stuff going on, not to mention that one of their processing centres was also flooded. They handled the repatriation very well. One word of advice is to have all of your holiday details to hand e.g. tour operator, date booked, flights etc before making the initial call (I had copies of all of that stuff on my phone).

... (and the extra €2.90 per day for the slope rescue was well worth it and avoided any preliminary hassle before contacting the UK insurance company).
snow report
I have an annual policy with DogTag. My ICD only adds £20 to the fee.

Boarded at Tigne last year and did not notice the "No pacemaker" signage on the lifts but no ill effects ! It does become second nature to not have a phone or access cards in your breast pocket anyhow and if you can work your way through the hassles of airport security then a ski-lift should be a doddle
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy