Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Folgaria or Madonna Di Campligio in March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi got cheap flights to Bergamo in mid March - only ever skied in France so this is first time in Italy. Gave reserved accommodation in both these resorts although 500 euro difference. Worried about snow conditions in Folgaria at 1200 and slopes - intermediate skiers - help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Madonna should work. They shut the lifts roughly 17th April, from memory of 2019. The snow machines start 1st Dec, if there isn't natural snow. Excellent blue runs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm an Intermediate been to MdC twice in early/mid March and it's been fine. Can get a bit soft lower down later in the day. One question though do you mean Folgaria or Folgarida ? Both are in the same general area of the Dolomites but the latter is easily accessible to/from MdC by pistes/lifts and the former is an hour or so drive away. The Folgarida slopes seemed a bit more family orientated than MdC ie burger bars rather than coffee shops but that's just an impression from passing through a couple of times.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Folgaria is a respectable small resort. (Avoid peak weeks. There are some choke points that get crowded so you can find yourself skiing in a scrum of people whilst trying to figure out the correct turning! Won't be a problem for you in March though.) Nice trails through the trees and interesting possibilities for off-piste/side piste action if conditions are right. Good lunches on the mountain as you would expect in Italy. Snowmaking means you will be pretty much guaranteed skiing during your week in March barring some metrological catastrophe! Friendly, tiny town to walk through at night, pretty cheap as resorts go.
MdC has much more extensive and varied skiing including some blacks, lots of runs across 2 mountain faces with the town at the bottom of the valley. Food good here but not as cheap as some other Italian resorts. MdC has an upmarket reputation; expensive cars, fur coats, beautiful people and people not skiing. A lift pass extension allows transit over to the Folgarida slopes via a decrepit chair that seems to get busy regardless of the time of year. On that side Marilleva is a bit more "of the people" if you feel the need for burger and chips. If you are confident intermediates who like to travel (on skis!) then the Folgarida extension is a worthwhile purchase with some long hard runs to the bottom, North facing so they hold their snow but can be icy with no run outs. MdC can of course be accessed from a base in Folgarida which is cheaper but not as interesting a town to wander around.
You will find lots of things to like whichever resort you pick. Have fun!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hudds7 wrote:
. A lift pass extension allows transit over to the Folgarida slopes via a decrepit chair that seems to get busy regardless of the time of year.

The decrepit chair was replaced 3 seasons ago for a fast and very blue chair Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Folgarida is lift-linked to MdC and Marilleva.

Folgaria is another resort some 95km away by road

https://goo.gl/maps/eWd1KaGG9oqJEj5HA
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has anybody skied Pejo from Madonna. Was thinking ski to Marilleva 1400 download and catch bus to Pejo.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
The decrepit chair was replaced 3 seasons ago for a fast and very blue chair

That's too bad. It was sort of a rite of passage waiting for at least 15 minutes before being smacked hard in the back of the legs when finally getting to the front of the queue. There was ample time to reflect on the indignity of it all whilst taking the very slow Chair of Despair back over to Folgarida. Very Happy

Quote:
Has anybody skied Pejo from Madonna. Was thinking ski to Marilleva 1400 download and catch bus to Pejo.

No I decided not to. I used the car to go to Tonale (from Daolasa) for the day instead. Rationale was that there is a lot more skiing in Tonale for a similar travel distance (40 v 30 mins). As I understand it Pejo has a good high top station but not much else but stand to be corrected. Also concerned about your travel plan from MdC. Even if you get the first lift up and last one back you will probably spend most of your day in transit rather than skiing. Not sure of the frequency of the buses either. Personally I'm a bit of a worrier and would fret about getting stranded on the wrong side of the mountain then having to take a taxi or find a scheduled bus with skis and boots in tow. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pejo is a lovely little area, picturesque and amazing food in the highest mountain restaurant. There is a decent variety of runs for a day and the top to bottom run is awesome, worth the trip imo!
3euros for a days covered parking at gondola base.
Skiing over might be possible bus stop is right at bottom of Marilleva gondola.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks so much for the tips - I think I’ll go with MDC for this trip given its March
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good choice - had a great week there in early April last year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alasdair.graham wrote:
Pejo is a lovely little area, picturesque and amazing food in the highest mountain restaurant. There is a decent variety of runs for a day and the top to bottom run is awesome, worth the trip imo!
3euros for a days covered parking at gondola base.
Skiing over might be possible bus stop is right at bottom of Marilleva gondola.

Hi,
am in MdC next week and was thinking of driving over to Pejo and maybe combining with Passo Tonale for the day, do you think that's being a bit ambitious ? we went to PT as one of my first ski trips so were going to go back just to do some of the runs we enjoyed and see how they look to a more experienced eye Happy

Also, Pejo looks to be south facing, anyone know if it would be a good place to go first thing in the morning ?
cheers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just back from Madonna di Campiglio - absolutely the best place to stay with excellent links to all local areas. Snow making superb as is piste grooming.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@richb67, we loved Pejo, and yes - it's a good morning destination for the reasons you mention.

However, you'll waste precious skiing time driving up to Passo Tonale in the middle of the day... I would rather have a full day at one or the other.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
final patsy wrote:
Thanks so much for the tips - I think I’ll go with MDC for this trip given its March
s

Pinzolo can be cheaper and is lift linked and a bit of a shorter drive if that matters. Bit more of a real town vs resort vibe too.
latest report
Another option, if driving
Stay in a satellite town, hotels will be less expensive than in resort

Commezzadura, most hotels here will have a private shuttle to the lift , takes two mins
Ossana 10 mins drive to the lift
etc

from either of these you are very close to a fast Gondola, called Daolosa, this brings you to 2000m , and from there easy access to Folgarida , MdC and Marilleva.

we are just back, conditions excellent. A Cappuccino about 1.5 to 2 euro
A good lunch about 14, including a drink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy