Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wheeled bag to carry skis and snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering buying a new bag that would make travelling with BA a cost effective option (rather than my usual defaults of Swiss or Lufthansa). Ideally, it would have wheels and be able to carry one pair of skis (current pair are only 155cm) and a snowboard (157cm) or my skis plus all my stuff (clothes, toiletries, helmet, ski tools, random other stuff) and my ski boots if needed.
although I'd probably carry them in hold luggage

I'm sure some snowheads do this (particularly the carrying skis and snowboard in one bag), so what bag do you suggest? And how do you pack the skis and snowboard in the bag together? (Generally the description of any bag says now many sets of skis or how many boards, but not the combination.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Burton wheelie locker
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hang11 wrote:
Burton wheelie locker

Do you use one to carry shots and snowboard?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugarmoma666, I don't transport enough alchohol for it to be an issue. Toofy Grin

I can't carry boots and skis and clothes together in the ski bag without removing the bindings which weigh 2kg per pair of skis. Luckily mine are rail types so easy to remove and put back on. There should be enough depth in any ski bag for umpteen skis with the bindings off, it's more a question of weight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dakine high or low roller, depending on your needs. I've got the low roller and have had 2 boards 2 sets of skis, poles, 2 sets of boots and bindings, plus clothes and other stuff.
Boards on the bottom, strip the bindings, pipe lag around the nose and tail to protect the board and the bag. Layer of bubble wrap between the board and the skis. Either lock the brakes up on the skis and put them flat or put them together and wrap up with clothes or in an old towel. Watch out for grease on the ski bindings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
hang11 wrote:
Burton wheelie locker

Do you use one to carry shots and snowboard?

Doh, that's what comes of posting before I'm properly awake. Obviously that should say "skis" not "shots". Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have done although I prefer not to publicly admit to carrying skis around Happy (kids mates)

I’ve got a 181. Massive and can get a couple of pairs of boots and a weeks clothing in it easily along with 3 boards/board and skis - however it weighs a fair bit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Dakine high or low roller, depending on your needs. I've got the low roller and have had 2 boards 2 sets of skis, poles, 2 sets of boots and bindings, plus clothes and other stuff.
Boards on the bottom, strip the bindings, pipe lag around the nose and tail to protect the board and the bag. Layer of bubble wrap between the board and the skis. Either lock the brakes up on the skis and put them flat or put them together and wrap up with clothes or in an old towel. Watch out for grease on the ski bindings.

This is just the sort of advice I was looking for. I'll do some measuring later. My initial instinct was the high roller but the dimensions make it sound massive. Just want to check the depth of the low roller is enough for my ski helmet (and yes I know some people say it should never go in the hold, but mine always has gone there with lots of padding).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

This is just the sort of advice I was looking for. I'll do some measuring later. My initial instinct was the high roller but the dimensions make it sound massive. Just want to check the depth of the low roller is enough for my ski helmet (and yes I know some people say it should never go in the hold, but mine always has gone there with lots of padding).

The High Roller is massive... I initially bought one and immediately sent it back and swapped it for the low roller in which I was able to fit 2 pairs of skis and quite an lot of accessories and clothes. Boots, helmet and other clothes hand luggage. All no issues with BA. It’s also quite tough - a taxi once ran over my bag in airport carpark and no issues.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many other posts on this through the years - worth a quick search?

For my 2p worth, I use a Ride (Sanatorium?) bag at a 181 I think - older model, so maybe not available any more, but similar ones will be, and at varying sizes. Just look on Google and Amazon /EBay for wheelie bags. It's a soft one, but has survived many trips.
I store skis and boards in it (bindings on) under the bed, and then travel with it. Can easily get 2 boards + 1 skis, or 2 skis + 1 board, without even bothering to remove bindings. All wrapped in bubble wrap and then bung some extra clip straps around the outside, just to be sure.
Also tend to carry snowboard boots (admittedly not huge feet) & helmets in there, + foods, other clothings & assorted bits, though ski boots in other luggage - but overall weight is the issue, not overall space (I get limited to 20, max 23kg).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been looking for a ski bag to replace my old one which has a rather useless handle/strap in the middle. Actually not really in the middle once you have shorted it from its max length, so it is pretty awkward to carry.

And wheels would be really nice, though they do make it some 2-3kg heavier.

I found this one

https://www.snowcountry.eu/douchebags-the-slim-jim-67543.html

If you select one of the brighter colour options, you see more detail.

There are others at a similar price (100 quid) but they tend to be bigger e.g. for 2 pairs of skis, or even boots and then you get some huge ones.

There is an argument that with BA carrying these for free if under 1.9m (IIRC) and Easyjet charging 35 quid (again almost regardless of size), one may as well go for a HUUUGE bag and stick everything possible in it, so then you have only carry-on luggage left over.

Worth a mention that the Easyjet "ski equipment" option covers more than 1 item, so you can have a ski bag and a "boot backpack", for example. It doesn't cost more if there are two items.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just purchased this one to take everything on my BA flight to the BB, so no extra luggage charge. Only £80 so a lower price point than the branded options.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bag-for-4-skis-3-snow-900-id_8398284.html

Quality appears good, plenty of room for skis / boots / poles / clothes. Main challenge is keeping it under 23kg weight limit though so I'll be taking on heavy hand luggage Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That one looks like it could take two pairs of skis and boots.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
accountant_monkey wrote:
I've just purchased this one to take everything on my BA flight to the BB, so no extra luggage charge. Only £80 so a lower price point than the branded options.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bag-for-4-skis-3-snow-900-id_8398284.html

Quality appears good, plenty of room for skis / boots / poles / clothes. Main challenge is keeping it under 23kg weight limit though so I'll be taking on heavy hand luggage Very Happy

Yes, I've had a look at that one. There was some very poor feedback on the decathlon site (not in English). How did you find it to wheel around?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grizzler wrote:

I've done a few searches on it and got some useful information. The bit that I'm struggling with is the depth for being able to put my helmet in there, and whether anyone has experience of this. I'm not a big fan of carrying lots of hand baggage (partly convenience, partly safety).
snow report
@Peter Stevens, did you read my OP? Very Happy
snow conditions
I just bought a Dakine one from snowleader for £60 + delivery last week. Looks like the price has gone up to £80.

Very solid bag, would fit 2 skis easily, also has a basic boot bag insde.

https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/fall-line-ski-roller-bag-190cm-snowleader-DAKI01407.html
latest report
[[/quote]
Yes, I've had a look at that one. There was some very poor feedback on the decathlon site (not in English). How did you find it to wheel around?[/quote]

I hadn't seen the bad reviews, we shall see! Normally their stuff is pretty good vfm but this might prove to be a poor choice. I've had a practice wheel around and it seems ok, obviously it's almost 2m long and heavy so needs care.

The dakine option looks good as an alternative.
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Grizzler wrote:

I've done a few searches on it and got some useful information. The bit that I'm struggling with is the depth for being able to put my helmet in there, and whether anyone has experience of this. I'm not a big fan of carrying lots of hand baggage (partly convenience, partly safety).

Probably not a good idea to carry a helmet on hold luggage, especially a ski bag. I’ve had one crack in transit from bag being thrown around. An easy somution is to strap it to your hand luggage which now seems to be fairly standard. I also carry boots in hand luggage to save weight in bag and just in case ski bag goes missing or is delayed - which is not unusual especially for flights to smaller airports in the mountains (eg Innsbruck) where planes have special operating weight considerations.
snow conditions
another vote for Burton, since they come with a lifetime guarantee.
I had the zip fail. They replaced it for a brand new bag (I had to post it to Innsbruck which cost less than £20) - however it had to be a different colour as they no longer produced the colour I originally had.
snow report
Sugarmom666
The bit that I'm struggling with is the depth !

Dakines are noted as high or low rollers !
I dont know todays specs but previous models Low roller meant lower and High roller meant higher .

The low roller in 157cm or 165cm is the ladys lightweight lenght choice .....helmet or no helmet .
Helmet would be a tight fit in a 150mm high low roller ....ultimately these bag sizes are a go too lighter bag that will work for the lady and are cheaper .

If your young an fit and use taxis door too door you may not need a wheeled bag as airports do trolleys .

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 28-01-20 15:32; edited 5 times in total
snow report
If your skis are less than 175cm in length the Lokker Wheelie Snowboard bag might be an option, although carrying skis (or a board) plus boots might not leave much weight allowance for clothes, etc if you are trying to get under 23kg. If I use this bag I carry my boots in my hand luggage, which I prefer to do in any case, as I really don't want my boots to get lost by the airline. Losing other luggage would be a pain, but it would be a disaster if my boots went missing.
snow conditions
i have the 190cm dakine one, but since my skis are only 177 there's a bit of squashy unused space at the end.
i think if i were going to replace the bag i'd try and find one that more closely matches the ski lengths.
snow report
Why would the op buy a big long 180-190cm bag for 157cm brd and 155cm skis ?

Bag droop and drag would be a issue as the skis are the bags back bone.
Older bags were better with internal tie downs so you could stagger the skis an board forward and tie them down inside.

Low rollers and Burton gig bags have short backbone bases but are lighter ... high rollers and the burton daddy bags have longer bases

When packing heavy ie 23kg and up you need to pack the wheeled end with more solid items and items you dont want crushed to the front ,
When the bag handlers get heavy handed all internal items will crush towards the wheeled end .
This doesnt always happen but it can and does happen with heavy bags .
snow report
Captains cabin does an own brand one that is big enough, has wheels and is far cheaper than the branded ones. I think £40. Have been using it for nearly ten years now.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Grizzler wrote:

Probably not a good idea to carry a helmet on hold luggage, especially a ski bag. I’ve had one crack in transit from bag being thrown around. An easy somution is to strap it to your hand luggage which now seems to be fairly standard. I also carry boots in hand luggage to save weight in bag and just in case ski bag goes missing or is delayed - which is not unusual especially for flights to smaller airports in the mountains (eg Innsbruck) where planes have special operating weight considerations.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm aware that some advise not to carry the helmet in hold luggage. I always have, and am happy with that risk - hence my OP. I'm specifically interested in bags that are big enough to hold my helmet as well as skis.
snow report
Tirol 164 wrote:
If your young an fit and use taxis door too door you may not need a wheeled bag as airports do trolleys .

Seen them trolley things and hate them Very Happy I don't always use taxis door to door and definitely want wheels on a bag that I anticipate weighing ~20kg fully loaded.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
If your skis are less than 175cm in length the Lokker Wheelie Snowboard bag might be an option, although carrying skis (or a board) plus boots might not leave much weight allowance for clothes, etc if you are trying to get under 23kg. If I use this bag I carry my boots in my hand luggage, which I prefer to do in any case, as I really don't want my boots to get lost by the airline. Losing other luggage would be a pain, but it would be a disaster if my boots went missing.

Cheers rob@rar, I'll have a look that one. I may well carry boots in hand luggage (at least on the way to resort), but would like the option not to. For interest, I weighed my skis a few minutes ago. Including bindings, they're ~3.5kg. My boots are ~4.5kg. Say 4kg for a bag, so that still leaves 11kg. I reckon I've got half a chance of being under the 23kg Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike87xx wrote:
Captains cabin does an own brand one that is big enough, has wheels and is far cheaper than the branded ones. I think £40. Have been using it for nearly ten years now.

Sadly, there's no sign of it on their website now.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Mike87xx wrote:

Sadly, there's no sign of it on their website now.

Oh no. Just looked online and the one they're selling is different, no wheels or lower spine!
snow conditions
Dakine low roller and an own branded rollie on AbsoluteSnow for about £80
ski holidays
My son has had 2 Burton Wheelie bags. He's not a boarder but a ski racer and there simply wasn't a small wheelie ski bag available. They are superb bags. I sold his first one on after about 2 years and it was virtually unmarked. It was a 150 (ish) bag but when he graduated to 165 GS skis they didn't fit. He now has a 181 but that doesn't work as he has 190 SG skis! The best thing about the Burton bags is the 'secret' compartment for spare boards. It has an external zip that gives access to a separate storage area. In your case you could have the board in the secret compartment and skis in the main part. The separation would be good for the board!
snow report
Some useful suggestions on here. Wondering about treating myself to a Douchebag. I love that they roll up out of the way when not in use. Also future proofed if I get longer skis. From a search, looks like a few people on here have them.
latest report
I know a couple of people who've bought Douchebags and got rid of them after a few uses. I think they are very much a case of 'form over function'.
latest report
The thing that always gets me on luggage is the weight of it. The douchebag one, for example, is 4kg empty, that's over 10% of your allowance gone before you put anything in it. And I've seen ones worse than that too - in the 20-25% range!
latest report
We have 3 Dakine Fall Lines between us, no issues. Have taken helmet inside mine.
snow conditions
I've got a Dakine Low Roller 157 and High Roller 165 (both a few years old but it's the latter which seems to have changed slightly as far as specs are concerned)

I'd struggle to get helmet inside the former if I didn't take it in my carry-on with my boots.

The latter would probably take it but couldn't advise using a bag that long for skis / board of your length because the one time I used it for my 156 board, it was a right pain with the bag bending. Not to mention a struggle to keep it under 23kg with a week's worth of clothes / crap and it being an a**e to manoeuvre.
snow conditions
Well, possibly against much of the advice here, I've bought a Douchebag. It looks very smart:

I didn't expect it to look so complicated. I've had it 3 days now and haven't risked unrolling it yet Embarassed Off to watch an instruction video now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy