Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire right equipment offered??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi a bit of advice please.
I’ve quite a bit of experience skiing (c.30 trips) and I say I was around advanced level, I’ve my own boot but have always rented skis.
I normally have skis around 165-175ish depending on the ski and what the shops recommend.
I went to pick some up yesterday having booked near top level quality and the guy brought me some that were 156 long. I said they were too short but he insisted the were good, after I said I wasn’t having them he went to look and brought out some Salomon pulse 165 which having skied a day on them are ok but not stiff enough.
I’m about 115kg and 176cm tall.
Any help on whether you think the guy was offering me 156 as they were all that was left of the standard I wanted or that a ski that length would be suitable with the latest technology?
New on here so apologies if posted in the wrong place.
Thanks in advance
Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your stats would indicate a Piste Ski in a length of 180 - 185.....so 156 is taking the Pi$$.

If you were on a full blooded Slalom Ski, then you would be fine on a 165.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gregthommo, welcome to snowHeads.

At your stats and if the ski has some tip rocker you want them at least as tall as you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers I don’t mind a bit shorter and shorter radius but you’ve confirmed I think they were trying it on, off now to swap...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gregthommo, Ideally, after skiing 30 years, you tell them what you want, rather than wait to be given something (in this case obviously unsuitable)

That's what I do. Once they know you've got a vague idea about skis they don't muck about so much
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gregthommo, Yikes...…….. after 30 trips renting at minimum £50 - £75 you could well have bought/sold/bought the skis you really wanted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimastaaah wrote:
@gregthommo, Yikes...…….. after 30 trips renting at minimum £50 - £75 you could well have bought/sold/bought the skis you really wanted.
how much is ski transport now on planes? both ways?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
£74 easyjet. Still worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dont forget the servicing costs, say £30-40 per year unless you do it yourself. Better economics to buy skis second hand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Again thanks all, 30 trips has probably been in about 12 yrs and a lot of short weekends with Boots in hand luggage. Do get the appeal and reliability of buying skis and might done day. Anyway changed skis now and spot on!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
Dont forget the servicing costs, say £30-40 per year unless you do it yourself. Better economics to buy skis second hand.

You don’t need to service them every “year“.

Depends on how many days/miles you actually use them in a “year”. (and for some, they need to service it more than once a year)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
ster wrote:

You don’t need to service them every “year“.

Depends on how many days/miles you actually use them in a “year”. (and for some, they need to service it more than once a year)

I’m sure you are right, so on average then (plus the odd repair now and again)?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What repair?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
What repair?

Ok, lets make it simple. What would you say is the average cost per year in servicing/maintaining skis when owning skis if not servicing yourself.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's the "average" use per year? One week?
snow report
This is why I bought my own skis (£200 second hand - Volkl Kendo). Was always just handed the nearest skis even though I was paying top whack.
Never regretted, plus, if I arrive early enough I can get a good afternoon on the slopes without losing time going to rental shop!
snow conditions
gregthommo wrote:
30 trips has probably been in about 12 yrs and a lot of short weekends with Boots in hand luggage. Do get the appeal and reliability of buying skis and might done day.

For short trips, the carriage cost could easily outweighs the hire cost.

But there's the hassle factor, which can be looked at both ways. 1) The hassle of carting the skis around airports and transfer bus; 2) the hassle of having to stop by the hire shop and getting wrong or inappropriate equipment.

I used to do a lot of short trips. I always end up bring my own skis, even though it may cost about the same (and sometimes more) than hiring. My situation is a bit different though.

I typically leave work late in the day and arrive at resort after hire shops are all shut. So, it's a bigger hassle (to me) having to get to the shop early enough to beat the morning rush of other punters. Or, I fly in early in the morning and hit the slope as soon as I got to the resort. It's so much simpler to just pull the skis out of the bag, step in and go! More over, I often run to the airport after skiing half a day. So the need to stop by the shop after skiing is another time waster I don't need.

Owning skis isn't necessarily any cheaper after all is said and done. But, my skiing ability got a noticeable boost after I owned my first pair of skis. I'm incline to believe skiing on the same skis, removing the variable of having to adopt to different characteristic of different skis every trip, was a significant beneficial factor worth more than the cost and hassle of buying and carting them around the world.

Lately, I've done some trips which I combine non-skiing period with skiing time. It's a lot more hassle to be carting the skis all over the place where no skiing happens. So I'm back to hiring from time to time. I do notice the period I had to devote to adopting to each new skis I got from the hire shop. I'm even more convinced I did the right thing owning my own skis way back when.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Wow, talk about going nowhere.

I’ll stick with mine for the time being. You can come up with your own as and when.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
abc wrote:

Wow, talk about going nowhere.

I’ll stick with mine for the time being. You can come up with your own as and when.

Mine gets serviced 2-3 times a year!

Because I ski so much (~30 days!) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(I had not had a single "repair" done needed so far)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy