Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non Goretex jacket fabrics, ability to repel moisture?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Spoon, serious question: what does one do if one owns neither an iron nor tumble dryer? Would a hairdryer do? Oh, wait, I don't own one if those either. Ooops Confused Hang it over a warm radiator?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, use your waxing iron?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i may be unlucky but i have owned several goretex jackets in the past and they have all let rain water through, i now think it is just over hyped and over price, the only reason its the market leader is because of clever marketing, i generally buy stuff now from brands who have their own version of goretex, theres loads of alternative, cheaper options,and they are just as good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Spoon, ah, the good old days of the Belstaff waxed cotton jacket Laughing Now they were waterproof!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
compostcorner wrote:
i may be unlucky but i have owned several goretex jackets in the past and they have all let rain water through, i now think it is just over hyped and over price, the only reason its the market leader is because of clever marketing, i generally buy stuff now from brands who have their own version of goretex, theres loads of alternative, cheaper options,and they are just as good.

Strange. I swear by my (expensive) GoreTex snowboarding jacket; best bit of mountain clothing that I own. Perhaps there are different "levels" of waterproofness? Mine looks (and, on the outside, feels) like it should do a good job.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to add some closure to this thread, as mentioned previously the retailer put in a warranty claim with the manufacturer and a few days later I was offered and received a full refund without needing to ask for it, and on top of that they didn't want it returning so at least I get a nice spare bluebird day dry weather jacket for my troubles.

For those that are curious yes it was Helly Hansen (good deduction skills @DB), the first jacket was an Alpha 3.0 which was then replaced with a Lightning both made with Helly Tech Professional 20k/20k fabric. I'm not posting this to name and shame or bash HH though as to be fair to them they've dealt with both this and the original replacement extremely well. Also given their prominence in the market I'm still convinced this was a batch of bad fabric (dark blue circa 2017/18 vintage) rather than wholesale issues with their technology so all I'd suggest if buying Helly gear is be careful with old stock in case it's got the same problem.

As for it's replacement, after trying on quite a few different jackets over the past week I've settled on a Salomon Icecool. It has similar specs/features as the Helly jackets and crucually the same snug but non-restrictive feeling you get due to the fit and stretchy fabric. Hopefully it proves to be a little more water repellent though! Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad you got it sorted.

For the talk on gore tex leaking. Remember a jacket is only as good as it’s stitching, regardless of the material used. If a gore tex jacket is Leaking then it’s either poor stitching or it’s your own sweat inside building up. And if the conditions are THAT bad, even gore tex will wet through eventually. That’s me talking as ex infantry.

Personally I’m all about the non-membrane these days if I’m working hard. I.e Paramo. When static And if conditions require I’ll chuck an actual waterproof membrane over the top.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Re nikwax it's pretty obvious:

the wash in is for unlined jackets
If you have a lined jacket (insulated or wicking lining) you use spray on
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy