Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should my toes touch the tip of the ski boot?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

I hope I am posting my query in the right section, I am interested in purchasing a ski boot, I ended up with two models from the same brand (in different sizes) in which both fit well, I am wondering how important it is that my toes should touch the front of the boot when standing straight? I came to understand that when in the ski position (at least for an intermediate skier looking to advance), that shifting to the ski position my heels should slide back very slightly and my toes should be able to wiggle.

For those expert skiers out there, for a good performance fit, is it mandatory that my toes touch (reach the end of the boot)?

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello and welcome

Your toes should brush the ends of the boots when not in a skiing position.

Your heels should not be able to lift up.

The fit of a new boot should feel tight, but not uncomfortably tight - and no movement of your foot within the boot.

You should be able to flex the boot - remembering that when it gets cold, the flex of the boot will stiffen considerably.

Trying to fit your own boots is quite a lottery.

Custom Footbeds while not essential, are highly advisable.

The inner boot will pack down after your first weeks skiing, so allow for this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the information, very helpful.

By pack down, you mean become looser, tighter, or fit better?

Thanks agian
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I am wondering how important it is that my toes should touch the front of the boot when standing straight?

I wouldn't say it's important. More that if they do it's nothing to worry about.

The best guide to ensuring you have the correct length is to do a shell check. Details are here on snowheads.

Different models will often be made to fit different foot shapes so just going on length alone is not a good guide to how well they really fit.

When the boot inner packs down over time the boot will become a looser fit.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 24-01-20 17:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, folks, very helpful information, let's just say I don't have easy access to a good boot fitter so trying to learn to make my own decision based on personal judgment.

All clear Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mohammed, the first thing you need to do is a 'shell fit':
http://youtube.com/v/WZx4GYLS5FE

Forget the two fingers/one finger gap crap & use some different diameter dowels or similar to measure the gap between the shell & the back of your heel. Unless you have very sensitive feet then over a 20mm gap means the boot is too big. 15-20mm is an ideal balance of comfort/performance, assuming of course that the width/shape/volume is also right for your foot as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Spyder, that helped a lot, I shall follow accordingly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy