Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Door to door" airport transfers - beware

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from Cervinia.

We used Airport Transfer Services https://www.airportransferservices.com/.

The minibus took us to the "town centre" and then got some local guy to take us to the apartment. The "local guy" refused to go all the way and dumped us quite a walk uphill with everything.

We then had a little "conversation" with the outfit about this "door to door" and he got rather stroppy and said they don't do it if the road is icy because they can get stuck and once they got stuck for 2hrs. Well, this is winter, so maybe a suitable vehicle is called for?

So, beware.

The other firms we used e.g. Fly Ski Shuttle deal with this by not offering door to door and while they have been very good they do as a result sometimes drop you off somewhere really inconvenient; you have to get onto google maps and check out what sort of walk you will have with your luggage and how much uphill it is. A lot of ski resorts have hotels a long way up a hill.

I can see why there seems to be so much business for what are basically taxis, at say £400 each way. OK for say 6 people sharing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Italy.

Rent a car.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very interesting. We are using Taxi Cervinia next week and they are offering a door to door service there and back. Will update with how this goes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know what the solution is, other than to specifically get them to confirm they will take you to THAT apartment. Send them a photo of the actual building (from google images).

Re car rental, well yes, but you get the same problem if you rent a cheap car, and renting a proper 4x4 is probably going to cost a lot more than a shuttle bus. And there isn't always a parking space.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I drive to the door transfers, and while hotels are almost invariably OK, some chalets and apartments are up steep narrow hills, covered in sheet ice. Choice then is help passengers with their luggage up the last 100 meters, or they wait in the van while I spend several minutes fitting chains for the last 15 seconds of driving. Unless passengers have a specific disability they generally have no problems with a short assisted walk.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With respect, Robin, if they are disabled they won't be skiing Smile

And 100m is doing well. Last week was several times that and we spent best part of an hour messing around, trying to find the place. One place I went to a while ago would have needed a 4x4 for probably a mile. It is indeed largely chalets that are higher up, but many of the cheaper (and /or available on short notice) hotels are too; the hotels at the base of the ski lifts tend to get booked out 6-12 months ahead. Also a lot of people prefer self catering; much cheaper and the only way to avoid eating stodge Smile

OTOH some hotels in odd places have their own 4x4.

These details are worth checking out before booking the transport. "Door to door" seems to be stretching the truth sometimes.

If you do an assisted walk you are pretty unusual. All drivers we've had drop the stuff out and are gone.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Used one from Salzburg airport to Saalbach and back last week. Arrived up a steep-ish hill in falling snow and a snow covered road and it was exactly what was promised, door to door.

[url=]https://austria-taxi.at/en?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOzkuKGh5wIVTLDtCh0eqAKiEAAYAiAAEgJ6PPD_BwE
[/url]
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Stevens wrote:
With respect, Robin, if they are disabled they won't be skiing.

With respect...ever heard of adaptive skiing?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Stevens wrote:

Wow!!! I would advise watching Ski Sunday from a couple of weeks ago
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter Stevens, Had a young lady in a wheelchair a couple of weeks ago - no idea if she was skiing, but no reason to think not. Did make sure she was close as possible to her accommodation though. We make sure customers are Ok to get to the accommodation, and help if needed - though often they are younger, fitter and stronger than me!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter Stevens, In fairness, 1. that's rather obviously a brokerage website, so who knows what you'll get? and 2. if it was contractually door to door, I'd be asking for a refund from my credit card company.

Criticising "door to door" services in general seems rather unfair to those like @RobinS's company who do run a proper door to door service.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We stayed in Cervinia years ago and recall being dropped by the coach transfer to walk the last bit and our luggage was shuttled somehow to the hotel.

Years ago my father used to come with us when we stayed in Niederau. He could hardly put one foot in front of the other and we were very that whatever coach/minibus or taxi was transporting him, or him and us, got him as close to the hotel entrance as possible. So he was slightly disabled, came on a ski holiday, but didn’t ski.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Stevens wrote:

Ever heard of the winter paralympics? Or are you just setting out offend all the adaptive skiers and boarders?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies for any offence, but if you actually read how the thread developed, it is obvious that this was a set-up, picking up on a single sentence, and just another way to beat up somebody new to the forum. There is a "particular culture" here, as indeed on a lot of social media if the moderator is asleep.

The percentage of disabled skiers is probably of the order of 0.1% to 1%. The percentage of dodgy transfer services is, what??? Plenty of previous reports, people posting about them not turning up... I have had perhaps a 10% not turning up and in one case spent €400 getting a taxi etc back to catch the plane. In that case I got money pack on the shuttle bus (they got really aggressive about it, but there are times when the shysters called Paypal can be useful) but never got back any of the 400. Having to lug luggage a long way is pretty common, though in most cases one can reasonably expect it because most companies won't stop even if going right past your hotel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Peter Stevens, Huh???
Quote:

this was a set-up

Puzzled Puzzled

Quote:

to beat up somebody new to the forum

Puzzled Puzzled

What on Earth are you talking about?
ski holidays
@Peter Stevens, I haven’t come across PayPal being shysters, they have always been helpful in my dealings with them.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Peter Stevens, Huh???
Quote:

this was a set-up

Puzzled Puzzled

Quote:

Puzzled Puzzled

Just what I was wondering!
snow conditions
@Peter Stevens,
Quote:

The percentage of disabled skiers is probably of the order of 0.1% to 1%

Interested to know where you get your figures or how you arrive at your estimate and what definition of disability you are using?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Peter Stevens, Huh???
Quote:

this was a set-up

Puzzled Puzzled

Quote:

Puzzled Puzzled

He wasn't instantly and universally agreed with, which what he was after.

Now the snowflake is melted
snow conditions
Peter Stevens wrote:
it is obvious that this was a set-up, picking up on a single sentence, and just another way to beat up somebody new to the forum.

This has been years in the planning. To all those involved I just want to say what a beautifully executed operation it was. These new people have to be controlled somehow and this method is excellent.
snow report
Gerry wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Peter Stevens, Huh???
Quote:

this was a set-up

Puzzled Puzzled

Quote:

Puzzled Puzzled

Ok, so a “new to the forum“, with 100 posts! I guess that quite new, whilst quite quick in the fingers. Toofy Grin

Two of the threads he started were complaints (the other being chair lift covers).

Seems like he finds annoyance everywhere he turns.
snow report
abc wrote:
Gerry wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Peter Stevens, Huh???
Quote:

this was a set-up

Puzzled Puzzled

Quote:

Puzzled Puzzled

Ok, so a “new to the forum“, with 100 posts! I guess that quite new, whilst quite quick in the fingers. Toofy Grin

Two of the threads he started were complaints (the other being chair lift covers).

Seems like he finds annoyance everywhere he turns.

A snowflake is just a frozen drop at the end of the day.
ski holidays
Wow. That escalated.
snow report
Some people have way too much keyboard time Smile They ought to be out skiing.

Social media will never change, and moderating a forum for informative discussion is too much work.
snow conditions
@Peter Stevens, you need to make allowances for the fact that the most prolific posters, and therefore most respected due to their omnipresence, are actually some of most stupid people to ever log onto a message board.
snow report
Moderating?

It’s like trying to lower the bubble on a nice warm day! rolling eyes

Nothing beats someone “new to the forum” start telling how the forum should be run. Toofy Grin

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 27-01-20 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Try here for scintillating, timely, lively and up to the minute chat with @Gerry's intellectual peers

http://www2.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/forum/forum.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general

Yes that 28 Jan date for one of their most active threads is 2017......
latest report
From another life, I happen to know more than I want to know about running forums (as mod/admin), and it is a fact that if you allow people to beat each other up, the traffic on the site goes up 5x to 10x.

It is a perpetual dilemma for any site which needs to pay for the hosting and for some general server admin work (the latter costing a lot more than the former).

And the whole funding situation is getting worse by the year, with so many people, especially the younger ones, leaving web forums and going to the facebook ones. On FB you have a dozen forums for every imaginable human activity, mostly full of one-line drivel, but hey that's all that most people can write anyway, nowadays Smile Only the biggest will survive, e.g. Mumsnet.

Hence, we get the forum styles which we deserve Smile

And yeah, with the skiclub.co.uk link above, there is the "battle of the forums". Most of them hate each other. I could not help noticing some huge threads taking the p1ss out of the SCGB one. No idea why, though it seems like a very polite site. I have not done the organised stuff they seem to do because I don't think I am a good enough skier to go out in a group. Even off-internet, most volunteer organisations can't stand each other, dominated as they tend to be by characters with massive egos.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter Stevens, This site doesn't have many adverts, so if you were looking for a role as a well-paid troll then I think you have come to the wrong place.

The common factor that I see in recent argumentative threads is you.
snow report
@Peter Stevens,
Quote:
with the skiclub.co.uk link above, there is the "battle of the forums".

That's just @Dave of the Marmottes, I think he must have seen 'something nasty in the ski locker' or something. He's just an idiot who plays identity politics and just because I'm a member of the Ski Club and he hates me, he vicariously hates the Ski Club.
snow report
Who is beating anyone up Peter? You made a ridiculous statement and were called out for it.
snow report
@Gerry, grow up - if anyone plays identity politics on here its you with your social justice warrior crap on behalf of the downtrodden SCGB and your contempt for the collective bedwetters on snowheads.

@Peter Stevens does seem to have a bit of an MO - rant then complain about lack of moderation/bullying when people don't leap to agree with him.
snow report
Debating this with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, it’ll just knock over all the pieces, poo-poo on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 27-01-20 23:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Fridge03, Laughing
snow report
I’m a very occasional poster and I think this forum is lovely, and very helpful. I read your “if they’re disabled they won’t be skiing” comment and thought that was an incredibly patronising and ill-informed comment. Why shouldn’t a disabled person ski? I’m not surprised people called you out for it, rightly so IMO.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy