Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone tried a Discman edge tuner?

Poster: A snowHead
I usually do my own ski servicing (given that between us the family has a dozen pairs or so) and being a tool-nerd I am tempted to try a ceramic disc edge tuner, such as this one. It claims to give a good finish without removing much material and because it uses Makita batteries I can save a bit 'cos I already have a bunch of them for the other power tools that I probably don't deserve to own wink I also like that the edge angle is adjustable. It seems that you can also get an attachment to do the base edge too.

Has anyone tried one out? If so what do you think - worth the cash?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Video of it working here, looks brilliant but a lot of money to justify ?

http://youtube.com/v/iiF3u_u3C0w
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - I saw that video but thanks for posting. It is indeed a lot of money to justify but I am good at justifying expensive tool purchases! Seriously, though, as a long term investment it might not be that hard on the assumption that I have a good few years skiing left in me. Being a DIY kind of person, I have bought a lot of tools over the years and I can't say that I have regretted (m)any of them. In most cases, though, I know exactly what I am buying. Not so much with this one - hence looking for any kind of personal experience to help guide me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jamesmus, Yes, I am a bit the same myself and if I was still doing skis for 3 kids I might think about it, probably still stop at the thinking stage though Laughing

There seems to be a Wintersteiger (?) branded one as well that has various attachments for doing other grinds too ?

I guess it's not the sort of thing that comes up secondhand very often either.

When the chinese get a bit more into skiing they might knock out a cheaper copy for you Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are used extensively by the dry slope racing community (They sharpen their skis between runs). They report that since they take less material than files the skis last longer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used all of these types of machines and the disaster factor with the Discman is very high as it's really unbalanced and the sole plate in contact with the ski base is too small. The Skiman Bravo Sharp WC tuner is better in every respect - properly balanced, large sole plate, a doddle change the discs and to clean - and most importantly it has a floating constant pressure cutter head which removes any of the disaster factor. https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/edge-tools/tuning-machines/skiman-bravo-sharp-wc-detail.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skitow wrote:
@jamesmus,
When the chinese get a bit more into skiing they might knock out a cheaper copy for you Laughing

There is this cheaper alternative https://edgetune.com/buy.html

However i suspect it might have the same issues as highlighted by Jon
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Discman and use it on daughter’s (plastic slope) race skis, no issues with stability once you get the feel of it and skis come up super sharp.

The standard adjustable angle guide isn’t great, best get the fixed ones.

But, for snow I sharpen by hand and prefer the finish.

I think it’s only worth buying if your constantly (every run) sharpening race skis

Roto brushes however, if you don’t have them, are great and save much time
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a https://www.razor-tune.com/ and am very happy with it. Takes zero skill to use and produces a really sharp edge.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the information everybody.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The 'Pink' Discman and the Green Wintersteiger are exactly the same and I'm 99% certain they are produced in the same factory.

I'm with @spyderjon, on this having used a variety of these tools. The Discman/Wintersteiger are prone to a bit of wobble but if you have a very steady hand they can give a great result. The benefit of both of these is they are battery powered so great for use at races. The Skiman Bravo Sharp World Cup linked by @spyderjon is very stable. I've used the Toko branded version (borrowed from the UK rep) and was well impressed. However I was less impressed by the price! The downside is that it needs mains power which can limit its use. The UK rep is working with a someone I know on producing a battery and inverter solution that can be used at races.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@doddsie, that looks a decent bit of kit for the price.. I always liked the look of the Trione as it sat flat on the base and the razor seems similar... guys i saw in the prep room using the discman usually messed up a pair of skis minimum when learning em. Also changing the discs seems a real hassle on those. Jons model seems a big step up and I know one guy using the Toko model likes it...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got a first generation green Wintersteiger and performed my own Makita LiON conversion.

Works a treat.

I do think the one @doddsie links to is the best though.

I tune a whole lot of family skis, and we tune every few days.
The Wintersteiger hardly takes anythink off but wow...what an edge.

Warning: you will become very fussy and very Tune-Aware once you have used one of these....I can tell in a turn or two if the skis I am using (maybe borrowed) need a tune.

Oh...agree about Roto Brushes...genius!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is Sony now making tuning equipment? (flies over the heads of millennials)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ozboy wrote:
Is Sony now making tuning equipment? (flies over the heads of millennials)

It is the update of the Walkman Edge Tuner.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, so it’s now digital?
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
@Old Fartbag, so it’s now digital?

Yes, but Analogue is making a return.
snow report
Nowt wrong with the Razor Tune, it's a very good tool, but with shipping, customs & VAT it's over £200 dearer than the Skiman Bravo Sharp WC for no additional benefit.
snow report
The discman is great if you take a bit of care but you can definetly mess up with it too, it is a bit top heavy and unbalanced and hits the brakes on some bindings. If you already own Makita batteries it makes it much more reasonable. If you dont need it to be battery operated then I'd be looking at the bravo sharp instead.

If I wasn't doing lots of race ski tuning I'd be happy sticking with a hand file though - less chance of messing up badly and much more satisfying. I did 8 pairs of skis this morning and was happy to have it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy