Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Last year, snowheads provided amazing advice for our first ski holiday in La Thuile. It was everything we hoped for and we loved it so much we're going back in 3-4 weeks time.

I read a brilliantly helpful La Thuile resort review from @dobby (https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3359003&highlight=#3359003) before we went but l was wondering if anyone else has any other resort advice for early intermediate skiers covering: runs to try / avoid, restaurants to use (on and off piste) and anything else you think would help me on a ski holiday with a 12 and 10 year old would be massively appreciated.

Thanks all Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@daleh, get the full area lift pass that links to La Rosiere on the French side. I heard they opened up a new mountain last year. Good runs into La Ros itself or Les Eucherts
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure there is a 'half' pass that doesn't cover La Rosiere, standard La Thuile passes include La Rosiere. If you buy a 3-5 day consecutive pass you can use the pass for 1 day in another Valle D'Aosta resort like Courmayeur.

Mont Valaisan is the new area on the french side and has some great intermediate red runs that are worth checking out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Black 3 can be 'interesting' if icy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
daleh wrote:
Hi all. Last year, snowheads provided amazing advice for our first ski holiday in La Thuile. It was everything we hoped for and we loved it so much we're going back in 3-4 weeks time.

I read a brilliantly helpful La Thuile resort review from @dobby (https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3359003&highlight=#3359003) before we went but l was wondering if anyone else has any other resort advice for early intermediate skiers covering: runs to try / avoid, restaurants to use (on and off piste) and anything else you think would help me on a ski holiday with a 12 and 10 year old would be massively appreciated.

Thanks all Smile

You probably have more experience of the place than me if you've done a whole week there previously. I skied over a few days from La Rosiere.

The central section of blues around Les Suches and the Chalet Express lift would be good for confidence building, a good pizza place at the top of it.

The runs down to the village can be a bit intimidating, the blacks are supersteep. You can download from Les Suches though.

The red number 7 that runs out to the right of the piste map mostly follows the course of the Little St Bernard pass road. It's peaceful, but I found it a bit too flat in places.

The red 18 that returns from La Rosiere is a lovely rollercoaster, wide and sweeping with little traffic, ends up on red 6 down through the forest to the village, a good run all the way.

The reds down the back of the Col de Fourclaz to the St Bernard Pass are good runs with great views of Mont Blanc.

I found the La Rosiere side very samey, lots of runs of similar pitch down the same mountain face, but the views from the Fort down the Tarentaise valley are great. I bet they're even better from the top of the new Mont Valaisan lifts. I think the restaurants on the Italian side are better.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Above average food (local plus pizza) enjoyed at Ristorante Pizzeria La (via Marcello Collumb 27 - more or less opposite but slightly right side main road to Miramonti Hotel. Only bar in town that had any atmosphere early evening (it was September; LT dead as a door nail elsewhere). Staff very friendly and one drive us to our accommodation gratis the first evening we arrived.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a nice little 'funcross' course on the la rosiere side with a tunnel and some germs that the kids would really enjoy. La foyer at the bottom of red 9 is my favourite mountain restaurant. There's also a nice place for a coffee and a snack at the bottom of the san Bernardo chairlift. A couple of really nice reds over that way to, and a relatively easy confidence building black run. There's another nice place for a last gennepa(sp) at the bottom of the fourclaz chairlift before a casual sunset run down res 7. Coppa pan in town is nice for a meal, la grotta is good for a budget meal.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maison Carrel just below Les Suches is IMO the best mountain restaurant in the Espace San Bernado, Chalet Cantamont near Pistas 15 & 16 is very goood and terrifc value, any restaurant where you see ski-instructers queeing is good, when they're joined by the carabineri you can be certain. Lo Roindet on pista 7 is very good and a marvellous sun trap , the Roxy near the Fourclaz lift makes the best hot chocolates ever and is worth stopping for a bombardino in the afternoon. Unfortunately quite a number of the on-piste restaurants are not worth visiting
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swiftoid wrote:
Black 3 can be 'interesting' if icy.
the catch netting at the bottom of the nasty bit is very suitable for purpose Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys this is great -- thanks for taking the time to write Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never liked the top of the blue run straight off the lift from la thuile. Far too steep for me wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've read lots of great advice on how to get from La Rosiere to La Thuile, but not back the other way. We are going to La Rosiere in Spring and have some relative beginners with us, but the runs back to La Rosiere from La Thuile appear to be red and black runs, are they relatively easy at that point or is there an easy route our friends could use if they join us in Italy for the day?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From LR to LT, the initial drop down to the button lift is the steepest compulsory pitch of the journey to LT and return. If you friends can manage that the rest of the runs are a piece of cake. The sensible bet would be to have them ski similar reds in LR then have a go, it is a relatively short run that you could theoretically sideslip or walk down the side of if it turns to custard. Good luck!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did the trip from la thuile to la ros (and back, obviously!) On my second ever ski week. It's mostly a scenic, cruisy route on blue runs. The one exception is the red next to the fort chairlift on the way back from la rosiere, it's always choppy and moguled at the end of the day when you're heading back, but nothing you can't pick your way down. Make sure you pick up some speed on the bottom half or you'll have to pole your way up a small hill at the bottom.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sack the Juggler, You shouldn't have a problem, use the Belvedere chair lift out of La Thuile and your straight on to the blue piste that leads directly to the chair back to La Rosiere, you shoul plan to leave La Thuile by 15.45 to ensure you won't miss any connections.
ski holidays
Lee Shaw wrote:
@Sack the Juggler, You shouldn't have a problem, use the Belvedere chair lift out of La Thuile and your straight on to the blue piste that leads directly to the chair back to La Rosiere, you shoul plan to leave La Thuile by 15.45 to ensure you won't miss any connections.
cheers, but my concern was them getting to the Belvedere lift from the top of the Chaz Dura Express, it seems to be red run 7, but I'm guessing that stretch of the red run is fairly easy?
ski holidays
From what I remember the first sign of a puff of wind, they close the lift at the top and you can get stranded in la Ros. Pick a clear day. There’s a long drag that way too. Painful,
snow report
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Lee Shaw wrote:
cheers, but my concern was them getting to the Belvedere lift from the top of the Chaz Dura Express, it seems to be red run 7, but I'm guessing that stretch of the red run is fairly easy?

It's very easy, definitely a blue. There's a bit of road with an unpleasant narrow hairpin, then it widens out nicely. Really nothing to worry about. Keep a bit of speed near the bottom so you don't have to pole to the chairlift.
snow report
@chimchimeney, @Lee Shaw, cheers guys, much appreciated, @Debra, we’ll make sure to take them over on a clear day snowHead
snow report
Probably not many options, but any recommendations for ski hire in La Thuile?
snow report
Crystal use berthod sport under the gondola, and it gets really, really, really busy on transfer days. I mean, really. Like, I've been in more pleasant scrums. Maybe try only ski, they sorted a minor problem I had with my boots the last time i was there, free of charge. Very nice.
latest report
Just returned from four days in La Thuile. We were a bunch of 55-62 year olds so not really looking for any great night life (there isn't any!).
For the most part, we followed the excellent advice given by SH members and weren't disappointed.
We stayed in the Planibel apartments (basic but fine for us); more importantly, only 58 steps from the front door to the chair lift (someone counted!) and it has a supermarket for breakfast essentials directly underneath.
One of our party pre-hired kit from Only Ski. it was all pre-set up and in a locker for him on arrival; it all worked fine but he was free to go back and change things if needed.
There hadn't been fresh snow for a month but all the pistes were freshly prepared every day and only became polished or rutted towards late afternoon (it was a quiet week though so this week's expected dump will be very welcome). Off piste was limited to a few links between curves in the piste.
We went to La Rosiere on the first day and ventured up the newish Mont Valaisan; fantastic views but like most of La Ros we found it a bit lacking in variation and "soul". An 8 minute drag lift back wasn't as tedious as expected but no one wanted to go back again!
The rest of our time was spent in La Thuile. Best runs in order of preference (after a nice warm up on the blues above Les Suches), black 25 (all day every day), black 5 onto red 6 (morning only until it becomes a half pipe), black 2 (afternoons) which is much nicer than the compulsory black 3 which was a bit polished and had some "interesting traffic" on it. Red 31 and black 33 were very good in the red area and we enjoyed run 4 onto run 7. In general, it is the availability of run choice which is the big plus in La Thuile; provided you can cope with an easy red you can travel everywhere and experience great variation of terrain whenever you wish.
We never had to queue although the lift system is a bit tired so it might become stretched in busy periods.
On the mountain, the restaurants that we enjoyed (for lunch or drinks) were Maison Carrel (M), Lo Riondet (A) (worth run 7 just to get to it!), Le Foyer(F) and Roxi bar(H), both of which serve the very best hot chocolate. We also stopped off at the excellent Le Petit Skier at the end of each day for a refreshing negroni along with everyone else in the resort seemingly.
In town we went to Angela's for early evening drinks (small but very nice). We had great dinners at Lo Tata (it was La Rascard the last time I visited which dates me!), La Grotta, La Lise and a rather expensive dinner in Pepita (nice place but relatively expensive).
On the whole, we were amazed at the relatively cheap prices and very impressed with the friendliness of everyone we encountered. I am sure we will be back in a couple of years time.
latest report
Slightly 'off topic' but relative to La Thuile,
Myself & two mates are visitng La Thuile this coming Saturday to next Wednesday. (we will have a car)
We will have 4 1/2 days skiing.
As we will be hiring kit, we were thinking:
Sat & Sunday at La Thuile.
Monday at Courmeyeur
Tuesday - Somewhere?
Wednesday - La Thuile for half day, dump kit & back to Geneva for 4.30.
So the question is, where else is close-ish for the Tuesday?
I should say we are 3 confident intermediates so happy with anything on piste, just avoid any mogules!
Thanks in advance.
Steve
Any advice much appreciated.
snow report
Pila is nice and worth a visit, accessible from Aosta. Smaller than La Thuile, but for a day trip definitely an option.
snow conditions
@SteveCook0, this is a good resource for comparing resorts...

https://www.bergfex.com/aostatal/

Pila above Aosta is the obvious 3rd option from La Thuile, about 40-45 mins drive.

There are also smaller resorts like Crevacol or Cogne, but not sure they would be worth driving around an hour to get to.

Cervinia/Zermatt is further afield, a great day out if the weather is fine & clear, but the 90min+ drive would probably rule it out for you.
ski holidays
@SteveCook0, Pila is the nearest option, and it’s a nice day out, get there earyish, free car park at the base gondola, before the UK schools arrive, say no later than 9.15. It’s a 20 mins ride up to the ski area, once there drop back to the first chair lift on the left side of the map and do that tun a couple of times, it should be empty, it was when we did it last half term! If your planning the away days look at the Aosta valley pass it gives you unlimited access to the whole valley so you cam pick your days.
ski holidays
We are there in 5 weeks and were wondering if there any decent bars open serving burgers or pizzas on an evening ..
ski holidays
La cage in the planibel complex is okay
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffknight wrote:
If your planning the away days look at the Aosta valley pass it gives you unlimited access to the whole valley so you cam pick your days.

I fail to see the point of a multi-day pass that is more expensive than buying day tickets:

4day High Season Valle d'Aosta pass is €213, so €53.25 per ski day

Day tickets at La Thuile & Pila are €46, so you're losing every day you ski these resorts.

Courmayeur is €55, so a small saving there. It's €65 to include the Skyway.

It might make sense if you were staying in Courmayeur, skiing mostly there and definitely wanted to go on the Skyway, but for someone based in La Thuile or Aosta, all it does it save you visiting the ticket desk every morning, but then commits you to skiing all day every day when you might want to take a half or full day off.

Also you can't get Zermatt included unless you buy the €352 6d pass (but only 2 days in Zermatt), so that's nearly €59 per ski day. It's only €67 for a stand-alone International 1 day pass. On the other days it's €55 for Courmayeur, €48.50 for Cervinia, €48 for MonteRosa, €46 for La Thuile or Pila, €33.50 for Valtournenche, other resorts even less!!

The VdA pass must be the poorest value multi-day pass out there!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
@luigi, Appreciate your thoughts, I said look at them, for us we stay in Courmayuer, 3 days skiing there and 4 at La Thuile or Pila works out at €349 on day tickets and €338 on the Aosta pass, so it certainly pays to check out the best deal for your stay.
latest report
geoffknight wrote:
@luigi, Appreciate your thoughts, I said look at them, for us we stay in Courmayuer, 3 days skiing there and 4 at La Thuile or Pila works out at €349 on day tickets and €338 on the Aosta pass, so it certainly pays to check out the best deal for your stay.

Even your scenario could be done cheaper using 3-day passes that allow one day at another VdA resort...that way you can ski Courmayeur at Pila/La Thuile rates!! wink

1st day Courmayeur 1d €55
2nd day La Thuile 3d €132
3rd Day Courmayeur
4th Day La Thuile
5th Day Pila 3d €129
6th Day Courmayeur
7th Day Pila

total €316

You don't even have to ski the same resort on consecutive days! Cool
latest report
@geoffknight, no worries...you can thank me for saving you & the missus €44 another time...have a nice meal out on it!! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy