Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do in La Grave?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Im a beginner/intermediate skiier and going to La Grave with my bf during Easter weekend.

To cut a long story short, he lives in Morzine (yeah lucky I know!) so we're going there for a couple of days, but he's been staying in La Grave this season to do some serious off pisteing, which is why he wants to take me there for a couple of days to show me around the place.

I would love to be that good one day but know that La Grave is for the serious, serious skiiers and it isn't a resort in the normal sense of the word.

He said that I could try a blue run on one of the glaciers (eeek!) but don't want to embarrass myself given how much of a novice i still am and given what a serious ski place it is!

Is there anything else that I would be able to when Im out there? Im v sporty and love hiking, trekking etc. I also dont want him to have to give up his time on teaching me (could end in disaster) but mainly because i want him to make the most of the end of season powder without having to worry about making sure Im ok with what Im doing!

Any advice would be gratefully received!
Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have three suggestions:

1. try le chazelet behind la Grave, it may still be open (it was a couple of days ago)
2. work on your tan (difficult as rain is forecast from Saturday afternoon).
3. dump your boyfriend
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowangel, you pretty much understand it. Not a suitable resort for you at all. davidof's suggestion #3 has merit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be frank it sounds as though you have a rather selfish boyfriend. His attitude is amazing considering how much time he seems to have spent in La Grave already this season. I suppose his only excuse is that he loves the place so much, as I do after just one week there, and he just wants to share it with you somehow.

The runs on the glacier consist essentially of two wide open blues primarily either side of the upper drag lift. I think officially the pisted runs amount to a mere 5 kilometres but it doesn't even feel as much as that. Even a relatively inexperienced skier will soon be bored. Also if the weather turns a bit nasty or it's windy or bad visibility you don't want to be on the glacier. The top lift is apparently the highest in France after the Aiguille de Midi in Chamonix.

Yep - change the resort or change your boyfriend.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowangel, sorry but I haveto echo everone elses opinion, the area is completely unsuitable. Even worse for you there is nothing else to do there. The good news is that its very well placed for access to other places if you've got a car. Get the selfish b****rd to drive 30minutes up the road to somewhere you can both have a good time, he's already had a season of powder, losing 2 days won't kill him.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Er hang around guys we don't know what the set up of the holiday is. La Grave is in a beautiful area there are spectacular views of glaciers good opportunities for low level walking on the north side of the valley and probably mountain biking as well, I have also x country skied up at Col du Lautaret at this time of the year with beautiful views of hanging glaciers, life is just not totally about skiing Shocked

For skiing at the level described bysnowangel, I would agree that a trip to les 2 Alpes, Le Chazelet if open or Monetier may be better but it is no reason why her and boyfriend can't both have a great time. snowHead

Edit, La Grave is not just for the 'serious serious skiers', some of the routes can be done by competent but not particularly advanced skiers, but asides from the glacier runs a near beginner would be 'overterrained' as the current jargon seems to have it. Even on the glacier you may not find the T Bars easy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, You are right in saying that La Grave is not just for serious skiers, I've even seen people go down using blades. But the point is that snowangel is expecting to ski there and describes herself as beginner/intermediate which is a long way short of "not particularly advanced" and La Grave gives no options of nipping back on to easier territory if the going gets too tough. if its tracked out on the main routes it can be fairly easy, alternativley if there's fresh snow it could become a nightmare for someone with little off piste experience.

She only has two days and there are plenty of better options in the area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich,
I don't disagree with any of that, I just read her post a little differently and thought she was looking for other things to do. I certainly agree that for a near beginner the skiing in La Grave is the wrong option to take of the variety of things that can be done nearby, including skiing in nearby resorts. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the scope for walking and mountain biking would be very limited at this time of year.

I remember taking a day off in Grindelwald in late March one year and thought I would do a bit of walking. Although the receding snow was making a lot of the lower ski slopes impractical the opposite was the case on the walking trails, where there was more than enough snow to make things difficult for walking. I tried a couple of trails but would then turn a corner and whoops - I wished I had snow shoes with me. I am talking about trails just above village level as well - nothing high.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richjp,
Quote:

I think the scope for walking and mountain biking would be very limited at this time of year.

I suspect it would depend on how high and where you want to go I agree it is a little early for the main walking season but the south facing slopes will probably be snow free for several hundered metres above resort level other than the shady bits. Certainly at Monetier last week the south facing snow line was probably higher than 1800m and will have gone up a bit in the intervening week I imagine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
What to do in La Grave?!

Roll. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the snow will have melted on the south facing slopes but the ground will still be wet.

It's a bad time of the year to go mountain biking coz it will destroy the trails.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowangel, You should definitely go to the top in the telepherique and the grotte de glace is open now. You can pass (I imagine) a very pleasant couple of hours at the Haut dessus with a book, a camera and whatever. Ditto the restaurant at the middle station. The food is excellent in both. The village is pretty and nice to explore (but would not take more than an hour or two, and there is some gentle walking around the river banks. All the snow has gone from the south facing slopes for a fair way, but I have no idea how wet they'll be - very I should think.See my snow report (I went today). If your boyfriend thinks he'll get powder at this time of year he's either barking or not as experienced as he's making out .. They also have regular concerts (blues and jazz) at LG BTW, they probably have something planned for the weekend. Have fun and enjoy. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I tried a couple of trails but would then turn a corner and whoops - I wished I had snow shoes with me

Well one option, for someone keen on hiking and sporty, would be to rent some snowshoes (around 5 euros a day). A great way of getting out and about and seeing some scenery. Easy to use, but quite energetic, which sounds just right. snowangel might even meet some really cool French guys, out on the trails....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Le Chazelet is worth a day, as pointed out. They do paragliding there as well, or you could book an ice climbing experience.
ski holidays
Guys,

Thank you so much for all of your responses which have been carefully considered!!

Unfortunately I only just read all of this AFTER i got back from La Grave!!

You are right in saying that it was a limited place in which to do things but I spent the first day going up to the top of the lift with Rich and chilling in the top restaurant whilst he skiied for a couple of hours.

I didn't feel up to doing the glacier (confidence thing!), but I got some great hiking in, around the national park in the avo and it was a superb day so all cool.

I hear what you're saying about the bf and I have taken these points on board! To be fair though, I insisted that he go off and ski as I know how much he loves the place.

Incidentally, we drove back to Morzine the following day and he spent a day with me the Pleney slopes which weren't too bad even at that time of the year, so I think that I more than paid him back for leaving me to my own devices in LG...........think 'BRIDGET JONES' and you have some idea! Hehe.

Thanks again! Very Happy
ski holidays
Guys,

Thank you so much for all of your responses which have been carefully considered!!

Unfortunately I only just read all of this AFTER i got back from La Grave!!

You are right in saying that it was a limited place in which to do things but I spent the first day going up to the top of the lift with Rich and chilling in the top restaurant whilst he skiied for a couple of hours.

I didn't feel up to doing the glacier (confidence thing!), but I got some great hiking in, around the national park in the avo and it was a superb day so all cool.

I hear what you're saying about the bf and I have taken these points on board! To be fair though, I insisted that he go off and ski as I know how much he loves the place.

Incidentally, we drove back to Morzine the following day and he spent a day with me the Pleney slopes which weren't too bad even at that time of the year, so I think that I more than paid him back for leaving me to my own devices in LG...........think 'BRIDGET JONES' and you have some idea! Hehe.

Thanks again! Very Happy
ski holidays
Sounds like you both understand each other and are prepared to compromise. Difference in skiing ability can make for a miserable skiing holiday for many couples so it was good you worked it out.
latest report
snowangel, well done at making a good holiday out of it Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy