Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Super last minute ski trip - folly?

Poster: A snowHead
Having just finished a major work event which left no time for anything (looking forward to washing my hair sort of busy), the OH and I have next week pencilled off and could go away. Grabbing some sun is a possibility, but even the Canaries temps are "only" in the high teens. I am wondering if we could go skiing, but unsure if this is stupidity at such late notice - any sage advice? We could fly tomorrow, from pretty much anywhere south of Sheffield (don't fancy driving to resort), just did a quick google for late package deals but not a lot online for the bigger companies and many smaller ones have closed phonelines already. We could DIY with flights to Geneva (poss others), but would be a fair bit of organisation as we both need kit hire and OH will want some lessons etc. Pretty flexible on area but prefer short airport transfer and reasonable mileage for early and late intermediate skier. Ideally with some snow. And beer.

Is this a great idea and we should go skiing because it's great?

Or is this really just a little too late and I should spend the rest of the evening sprawled on the sofa (after washing my hair)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@polkadot, get booking. It's a quiet week. You'll be able to get everything you need
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get onto igluski. Catered chalets from Birmingham for under 600. Do it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpine elements are doing catered Chalets in Morzine (short transfer) and Meribel for less than £400, and you can book all your gear, passes, and school through them as well.

No brainer
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go for it.

While walking to the restaurant in Innsbruck tonight a friend phoned from home, she has now booked flights and arrives tomorrow!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polkadot, no ski trip is folly rolling eyes Shame on U fer asking Embarassed . . . wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You are going to struggle a little bit at this time on a Sat, but it's well worth a shot. I don't think you'll be able to arrange a package option flying out tomorrow now - most tour ops fly on Saturday and the few I know of that do Sunday go relatively early doors, so I'd guess they won't be able to add you onto the manifest now. But plenty of them will have space in their chalets (and maybe on the return flights). Don't worry about equipment hire and ski school - they should be dead easy to sort out in resort - what you need are flights and accommodation.

I can think of two options that might work: 1) speculatively buy a flight now to somewhere convenient and then either call a tour op tomorrow morning or try to find some at the airport; or 2) look for companies that offer accommodation only...try chalet companies or places like pierre et vacances, or even booking .com and then buy flights separately.

#2 is going to be less stressful, and easier to arrange from the comfort of your sofa.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You tell us the prices possible, we’ll tell you if it’s folly or not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I expect she's booked by now
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If she'd looked 1-2 days earlier there were some really, really stunning deals going out with Crystal from Newcastle and Mancehster (possible other airports too.) never seen anything that good for a long time. Wondered what was so wrong with this weekend, and cursed ourselves for not quite being in a position to grab and run ourselves.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@polkadot, perfect timing with the fresh snow that just fell and cold, sunny forecast! Surely one of the TO’s can get you on a Sunday departure? Otherwise just book flights to GVA and search for some accommodation in Portes du Soleil. Short transfer, big area, snow is good down low and there’s good piste cruising
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sadly the OH was not keen so the sofa prevailed. Did look at alpineelements etc but bit stuffed the day before when the phone lines have closed! Could book flights and work out the rest in the morning but not with a reluctant party. I shall keep dreaming!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

bit stuffed the day before when the phone lines have closed!

Yeah, I think you'd have to work really hard (/be really lucky) to get a tour op to sort you out on a Saturday evening booking for a Sunday departure. Would love to hear how late others have managed to book though...have always been intrigued how late it's possible to leave booking!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polkadot wrote:
Sadly the OH was not keen so the sofa prevailed. Did look at alpineelements etc but bit stuffed the day before when the phone lines have closed! Could book flights and work out the rest in the morning but not with a reluctant party. I shall keep dreaming!

Ditch him rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So I accidentally just booked some flights (oops) and we arrive in Geneva this afternoon. Any recommendations for somewhere to stay? Considering Morzine as someone mentioned it above and time is a little tight with erm packing and that rolling eyes
ski holidays
try the Chaletsdirect solutions room maybe. Maybe the Sherpa in Morzine run by Jolly Good, they do B&B
ski holidays
polkadot wrote:
So I accidentally just booked some flights (oops) and we arrive in Geneva this afternoon. Any recommendations for somewhere to stay? Considering Morzine as someone mentioned it above and time is a little tight with erm packing and that rolling eyes

I'd be tempted to call Alpine Elements (if they're open) and ask them for the accommodation that they were offering in their really cheap deals that departed yesterday.

It was £400 including flights/transfers and accom. So you'll be able to haggle them down as you only need the accommodation part.
latest report
@polkadot, glad to see you've done the 'right thing' by your OH! Very Happy Grand Massif should also be on your list, close to Geneva, snow in great condition and shouldn't be hard to find somewhere to stay. A quick glance shows that my favourites (because of their great personal service), Skifusion, have good availability in Les Carroz.
snow report
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/36750152?adults=2&check_in=2020-01-19&check_out=2020-01-26&source_impression_id=p3_1579429848_J4xm0V3DACRAzHP7
snow report
@polkadot, Just walk in to hotels/chalets near the Pleney lift and ask them if they have half board accom available, I'll bet you a pound to a bag of feathers you'll have something within 5 minutes.
snow report
Polkadot, I'm flying to Geneva tomorrow and getting a shuttle with Aravis to Le Grand-Bornand / La Clusaz.

But, if I was landing without a booking, I'd head to the Alpybus desk (come out of departures, turn right) and see where they can get you to tonight.

Not sure on the conditions in Chamonix, but would be very surprised if they couldn't get you there. Then there should be an abundance of accommodation on AirBnb etc

All depends on how long you're away for. If it's more than 3 days, maybe the resort locations would be better.
snow conditions
neige et roc in Samoens.
snow report
Damn there were some good package deals to be had with Alpine Elements if you could have booked yesterday for today: LINK
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, none of the bus services accept walkup bookings. Or at least, they’re not supposed to ...
ski holidays
Yeah, I know they wouldn't be able to process one, but they'd definitely give them the number to call (if not call it for them) or advise them to stand there and book it online using the airport's free wifi, but at least then they'd know what they might have as options.

Moot point now anyway as presumably they've already arrived somewhere. Hope so anyway...
latest report
So to update, posted on the chaletsdirect solution room before we took off, logged onto the airport WiFi when we landed (warning for fellow numpties - Switzerland is not in the EU so phone plan may not apply!), made a wifi call from baggage reclaim and accomodation with transfers sorted.

Just got out of the hot tub after a second day of glorious conditions - thanks to whoever suggested Morzine.

Conclusion - the best decision I've made in the last 3 days!
ski holidays
@polkadot, that is fantastic! So pleased it has worked out for you.
snow report
@polkadot, way to go! Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polkadot,

Quote:

thanks to whoever suggested Morzine.

Very Happy
snow conditions
This thread is awesome. @polkadot, you have just become one of my favourite people. More folk should do exactly this.
ski holidays
Delighted that this trip has worked out for you both!
Ballsy to take off without accommodation and then sort before going through immigration - the stars were clearly aligned.

Fantastic story so far, keep up the reporting!
ski holidays
Quote:

Just got out of the hot tub after a second day of glorious conditions

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@polkadot, awesome tale! I take it your other half came round to the idea in the end Laughing
snow conditions
In the spirit of this thread I have persuaded my two friends to book a flight to Geneva on Feb 20th returning on the 27th. This is during half term so accommodation is scarce. I would like to have something booked in advance. Any ideas, suggestions, offers very welcome!

Otherwise we will be sleeping in a hire car!

Many thanks
snow report
@warrell, the difference between one of the busiest weeks of the season and one of the quietest isn't in your favour. Hire an estate and take a sleeping bag wink
snow report
@ChrisWo, that's the last resort. Maybe just party all night like 30 years ago. Something will turn up, it may stretch our resources but I'm a believer.

I expect to find somewhere for the Thursday arrival, it's the Friday and Saturday that concern me.

There are plenty of warm foyers out there.

I've got form, 11 years ago I did this https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46804

Blue Monday madness caused it, your honour
ski holidays
An igloo? It's free.

Are there rules against building igloos near the lifts?
latest report
@polkadot, snowHeads gold Very Happy

@warrell, pick some resorts and call the tourist offices direct. There’ll still be accommodation in places like Morzine or other PdS, Chamonix, Les Arcs/La Plagne, Grand Massif etc.
snow report
@polkadot, glad to hear it worked out so well for you. Not staying with Haig Ski by any chance, are you?!

As far as @warrell's dilemma is concerned, would the situation in Swiss resorts be any better in February?

I've taken the train from the airport to Verbier and Zermatt (well, Täsch) so that might open up some more options for you, even if it isn't the short connection you might hope for from there.
snow conditions
@polkadot, respect!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy