Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any recommendations or tips at all please? Particularly for ski areas, nearby resorts you can do in a day, good runs, and restaurants/bars! Likely to do a few days downhill and maybe one cross-country.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PrimroseAndBlue, there is skiing on the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain which shares a border with Austria) and also the Garmisch Classic ski area.

Sadly the ski lifts are no longer in operation on the interestingly named Mount Wank (the Wankbahn 4 person gondola still operates apparently for walkers, snowshoers and tobogganists only)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, thank you very much indeed. Looking at the map I see it is mainly blues and reds, any views on the difficulty?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PrimroseAndBlue, sorry, I've only ever visited Garmisch-Partenkirchen to watch the ski jumping in the Four Hills Tournament (interestingly the buildings there in the spectator area date from the 1936 Olympics!) and go up to the summit of the Zugspitze for the views, I've not yet had the chance to ski there. Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PrimroseAndBlue,
Zugspitze us worth visiting if only for the cable car ride, a bit like where eagles dare, or the clog railway through the mountain. The views are spectacular.
If I remember correctly the sking was OK with lots off blues and a few challenging runs back to the bottom of the mountain if there is sufficient snow.
We stayed in a place that had solid silver cutlery with swastika markings!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@PrimroseAndBlue, the main area in Garmisch is called Garmisch Classic. Must do the Kandahar from the top down to the valley at Kreuzeck, which has some quite steep stretches and is just generally one of my favourite high speed hooning runs in the Alps. If you are into off piste then there are a few possibilities off the top of the Alpspitz gondola (from Kreuzeck) where there is a set of steep couloirs leading down to Hochalm, but Garmisch is not generally known for it's off piste. The other area in Garmisch itself is up on the glacier at the Zugspitze. As has been said, the gondola ride up there is spectacular, and the views from the top are stunning. The pistes are a bit boring, the off piste is great, but only if they have more than 4m of snow... less and you are likely to destroy your skis! I usually go up there end of March or beginning of April.

Based in Garmisch with a car you can take a 20 minute drive over to Austria and do Ehrwald, Lermoos and Biberwier. I personally usually end up in Lermoos, but the Ehrwald is definitely worth a visit.

For off piste you can take a look at the Dammkar in Mittenwald. This is a free ride area (no pistes) reached via the Karwendelbahn from Mittenwald. Once you get to the top there is a 500m walk through a tunnel which pops you out at the top of the Dammkar valley. Follows about 5Km of powder followed by a track which brings you back down to the gondola. You have to check whether the track is skiable all the way, otherwise you end up with a long walk!

Further along that way in Austria you can ski in Seefeld, which is also a major cross country center, or you can carry on down to the Inn valley and across to Axams. Definitely worth a visit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stewart woodward,
Quote:
If I remember correctly the sking was OK with lots off blues and a few challenging runs back to the bottom of the mountain if there is sufficient snow.
There are no runs from Zugspitze to the valley. There is a route that can be taken from the top down to Ehrwald, but need to abseil about 60m in the middle! Not standard stuff.
If you take the train down then shortly after the tunnel exit there is a stop at Riffelriss, which takes you to an un-pisted route down to the gondola base. Well worth doing, but not always open. Certainly won't be open yet this year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fabulous, thank you all very much for the tips.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The garmish Classic area has a lot of reds some blue, and two great blacks , the Kandahar is a really good black run if you like a fast challange. The other black is not quite as much of a challange but is good fun. The Zugspitz area has mostly reds , and they are easy reds. If you want some pretty and fairly easy skiing then Ehrwald is a great spot to go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going to Zugspitze on Friday the 24th of Jan now!
Booked as a good last minute deal I found online and a bit uncertain now whether it was good choice.
I'm a boarder and usually things I look for are trees, off piste, black runs, good powder too. (any tips on those? definitely checking out those places mentioned above, thanks for those!)
Don't think it's a good place for any of those but hey, kicking off the season!
By the way my first post ever here at snowheads Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome.

Garmisch is for intermediates.

Not much snow in the valley today, but plenty uptop.

Very pretty area, but spreadout.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@trindadebruno, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead Hope you enjoy your trip to Garmisch Partenkirchen!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@trindadebruno, welcome, and do a trip report - booked for a trip to garmisch early March so would love to hear what you think and any tips!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trindadebruno wrote:
Don't think it's a good place for any of those but hey, kicking off the season!
By the way my first post ever here at snowheads Smile

You're probably right, but I can think of worse places to be. It's a nice little town with friendly people and lovely cakes.
Enjoy!

Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lermoos on the zugspitze pass is a nice little place. some good terrain

if you going to the glacier time it for the cable car

garmisch town itself has loads of cheap places to eat

try mezzo mix drink....its a weird mix of coke & fanta that the locals love.

the hospital there is top notch. my mate who refused to get lessons can vouch for that. three days of fresh snow wasted Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
The town itself has lots of lovely places to eat, but I can recommend the Gasthof Fraundorfer for an evening meal, it is so typically Bavarian, with accordians, wenches serving beer, and back bottom slapping dancers, lot's of fun and the food is good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy