Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Desperate need of Ski Boot Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I currently have a pair of Technica Cochise 120s - ones with touring and traditional downhill capability. Purchased in late 2016 from Ski Bartlett with custom footbeds (following 2hr consultation, the works etc). So they've experienced three seasons of skiing, one of which was a full season out in the alps - so roughly 25-30 weeks of ski time in them.

They're generally comfortable in that I don't feel any pain in the ankle/Metatarsals etc however I perennially cold toes and feet often numb/lose blood flow to them. I use very lightweight, thin ski socks and now am in the habit of releasing all buckles when stopped which seems to have dampened/removed the worst effects. This in itself doesn't overly bother me however, I've recently (2018/19 season) progressed significantly in my skiing ability through doing a season and a BASI 2 certification. Towards the end of the season I noticed my heels were lifting up in the boots and generally, the boots didn't feel like they were providing me the higher level of control/tight needed for performance on-piste skiing specifically shorter/tighter turns but seemed to perform fine off-piste.

I'm have no idea whether to attribute this to a degradation in the lining or whether it's because I've progressed as a skier and the boot's are no longer fit for purpose or whether I'm still a sh*t skier and the boots are fine and my technique is wrong.

Nevertheless - I would love some help on what to do. Currently based in London - so would go to either ProFeet or S4F.

Is it worth going in for a consultation (paying the £80 or whatever) to get the boots more stretched (if that would help) - maybe get a new liner?
Or should I go for the major investment of another full consultation and purchase another set of boots?
Or it's actually some physiological like immobile ankles and I need physio?
Or none of the above, the boots are fine and I just need to man up and focus on technique?

Would love any and all help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go to either of your suggestions - and be prepared to buy boots or liners if necessary.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not take em back to Bartletts and see what magic Terry or the others can conjure. Liners are almost certainly packed out at 150-180 days. Zipfits might give you the hold you need...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
I would go to either of your suggestions - and be prepared to buy boots or liners if necessary.
+1. I think I will be in the same boat by the end of this season, which will be my 11th season - of at least three weeks per season, plus sessions at Hemel* - in my current boots/Zipfits. I got new footbeds from Profeet last season. I certainly aim to go to either Profeet, S4F or Bartletts for initial thoughts.

*My goodness, having read DotM's post, I realise that's probably upwards of 200 days' skiing in those boots and Zipfits already. Tbh, the only difference in the last couple of years is that I've had to tighten them as the day progresses, which I never needed to before. I hate boot faff...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, Zipfit liners last longer than a stock or intuition style
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, yes. I remember Colin saying that I would be able to transfer them to the next pair of boots... However, my footbeds were completely trashed and changing them made a considerable difference.
@Ratherbeabeardog, is it possible that your footbeds are the main culprits?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had an almost identical issue with my hawx prime. they felt amazingly comfortable but my toes turned into ice blocks. After Alot of faffing about it ended up being my custom footbeds. they where very slightly pushing into my arches enough to slow the blood but not enough for me to sense it. the boot fitter carved a trench like shape into the arches and this fixed the problem 100%
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You have done 2 seasons on stock liners? If so i can tell you they most likely done and need replacing most stock liners are good for maybe 90 days of hard skiing. It might not be the only problem you have but it will be a contributing factor.

As for aftermarket liners i have skied Intuitions that seem to last 2-3 times longer than my stock liner, I found them a good improvement over the stock liners although the feel of them isn't for everyone. They are also the warmest liners i have ever skied. I have just put Zipfits in my current boots but i haven't skied on them yet so can't comment on how they preform.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting - seems to me that I’d best just committing to taking them in and hoping it’s a liner issue but be prepared to buy new boots.

@Hurtle I did take the footbeds out at one point which made no difference to the foot temperature but definitely decreased control and stability. Interesting to hear from you @dave_3 that you can shave the footbed and might improve the circulation issue. Although the primary problem I’m suffering is again the feeling of less control than I should have and the slight movement of the heel - I presume which can’t be fixed by a change in liner?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A new custom liner can fix the problems you describe. I got zipfits fitted to my boots last year and they made a massive difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ratherbeabeardog, You might be surprised, As you use your boots the shell will stretch slightly and the liner will pack out which can result in the boots not fitting as well as when you bought them, you have put a considerable amount of time on your boots so this is quite possible.
If you are in a correctly fitted boot and the shells themselves aren't worn out then new liners may very well be enough to regain that lost control and lock you heel down. There are also lots of tricks a boot fitter can employ to aid heel retention.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy