Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you ski whilst it’s snowing?

Poster: A snowHead
My favourite time to ski.

But to be fair to the OP, it depends on how experienced and/or confident a skier you are - you need a certain amount of confidence and relaxation to ski in poor vis.

(That sounds like I think I'm an expert - I'm not!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing in a snow storm is my absolute favourite time to ski, everything is deadly silent, in the trees for visibility if the snow is deep enough.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name,yep, I'm with you. This is a skiing forum isn't it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I skied for a simple one week holiday each year, then I would go out in almost any conditions.

Now I have a home in the Alps, then I will go out in almost any conditions if I have a friend staying who wants to ski. I can't guarantee I'll enjoy it.

If it's just me, then 'NO'. I'll use such days as rest days and catch up on paperwork, etc. We all need a break now and then and low vis days are ideal for this.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a trick question. Have only done it once in heavy snow. New resort. Steep lift. Couldn’t really see the run. Mistake. Visibility zero or thereabouts. Followed my OH down by voice. Broken skiers everywhere. Couldn’t tell if we were moving or not.

They’d shut the resort when we got down. Eventually. Dreadful day.

We’ve decided to set the alarm and decide in the morning. My OH works so we can only go one day a week. Kit is all out ready. We have season passes so only a waste of time and petrol if it’s a no go. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not in Liverpool on Lime street, but probably in the mountains if I can see 40 metres
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It really depends on the weather, when its snowing visibility isn't always too bad and learning to ski in reduced/pore visibility and condition's is a really worthwhile venture. It gives you more confidence in your every day skiing and if you are skiing when there is a big sudden weather change it doest freak you out so much.

Having said that if it very foggy and visibility is down to a couple of feet its really not worth it. I remember an afternoon about 8 years ago when i was training for my level 2 instructor cert. We went up after lunch, we could see maybe 2 foot in front of us and did half a run down a green run doing about 5kph, dragging out poles on the snow and falling over very time you tried to stop because you couldn't work out if you were moving or not. It was at that point we decided we really didn't need to be skiing in those conditions and headed back to the bar to extend our lunch!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LavaLaura, stick below the tree line in low vis, it'll make definition a bit better. I'm a firm believer that skiing in poor light can have a positive effect for some skiers (not everyone). Half of it is a mental battle to get yourself centered and weighted right, plus important to not ski rigid as that will amplify the bumps. Forcing myself to ski in low vis made me a better skier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LavaLaura wrote:
Not a trick question. Have only done it once in heavy snow. New resort. Steep lift. Couldn’t really see the run. Mistake. Visibility zero or thereabouts. Followed my OH down by voice. Broken skiers everywhere. Couldn’t tell if we were moving or not.

We’ve decided to set the alarm and decide in the morning. My OH works so we can only go one day a week. Kit is all out ready. We have season passes so only a waste of time and petrol if it’s a no go. Very Happy

Even for an experienced skier, skiing in a white out is a really bad idea. Flat light can demand respect. I had to ski to the bottom on one ski ( luckily not far) after stopping in a pile of snow I did not see. Far worse, a good skier stopped right next to me and collapsed. He had hit s similar invisible snow pile - and ruptured an ACL. My answer to the OP is that, as with much in skiing, it depends on conditions.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have never been able to conquer my fear of skiing in poor visibility.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, it is not an irrational fear, IMV. Being relaxed and correctly balanced is one thing; not being able to see or know what’s happening is another. I was with a guide once who wiped out in a deep dip he hadn’t spotted; fortunately only his pride was hurt.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having skied in Scotland in 60mph+ winds blowing the snow horizontally, along with lumps of ice the size of golf balls and survived, hell yes I would Skullie

As long as you can see the next couple of markers, no problem.
It might not feel fun at the time, you will tire quickly because as @Whitegold, said, you will need to feel, not see. But you will really enjoy the beer afterwards.

Have fun Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely not, far too dangerous! The next day when it clears is also dangerous, especially off piste. I'd recommend buying a pass, renting gear, eating and drinking in the local businesses but not bothering with any of that unpleasant skiing nonsense! wink snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As above, mainly depends on whether or not there are trees. If no trees, depends on visibility which means thickness of flakes coming down and clear piste markers or not.

One of my trip reports says I got punched in the face by my ski pole, when I put it out to plant and it hit a bank I hadn’t seen.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to stay on the plateau of terminal mediocrity, then don’t ski if its snowing, poor visibility, deep or bumpy or not perfect corduroy snow, icy....then wonder why you never get better and can only ski in “perfect” conditions!
latest report
newby21 wrote:
If you want to stay on the plateau of terminal mediocrity, then don’t ski if its snowing, poor visibility, deep or bumpy or not perfect corduroy snow, icy....then wonder why you never get better and can only ski in “perfect” conditions!

Once you have got passed the 'plateau of terminal mediocrity', you'll know that you've done it all before, and you'll know that not being able to spot a post marker but knowing there is a long 80° drop down the side somewhere and there are few of any references is probably survivable but - no fun. Quite possibly you will also have visited the orthopaedic ward a few times due to skiing, and don't want another opportunity. It is, of course, up to you.
snow report
Weirdly I often prefer snowy days to bluebird ones.

There are usually far less people on the slopes, powder skiing to be had on the pistes so nice and safe to play on.

It works wonders on technique as you have to concentrate more and try a bit harder.

And the mountains have a lovely quiet tranquility to them.

So long as you have the right gear on , no such thing as bad conditions.

As others have said , stick to tree lined runs though if possible.
ski holidays
LavaLaura wrote:

So it’s not the snowing, it’s the visibility (the lack of).

Since you know the resort, you know where to go that you can have visual references. Go there first
snow report
Quote:

a long 80° drop down the side somewhere

That’ll be the famous vertical drop off the side of a blue run which terrifies all the nervous intermediates! But exists in their minds alone
Quote:

but - no fun.

You said it. Stay a cr&* skier and never have fun in the snow.
Or, develop some skills and a good mental approach and love to ski anything
latest report
Depends on the temperature, wet sticky snow that sticks to your goggles and obscures vision, no, stay in the bar.
Cold "dry" snow, one of the most epic days on skis that I had was when it was dumping down really dry snow, we were lapping a black run, our tracks were covered by the time we got back up on the lift, although the snow was only 60cm deep on a firm base, it was so light, it was coming up over our shoulders. If there is poor visibility from fog as well, mmm, maybe not, or stay on a run that you know really well.
ski holidays
@newby21, Two nasty digs out of 3 posts ever, to a reasonable question about conditions. When and where are you skiing this season? I need to update my avoid list.

You probably think you skip the plateau on the motorway by doing 70 in fog; and that those who slow down are the real danger?
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, if you put yourself back at 21, and a newby, you’ll understand the nastiness. rolling eyes Basically, if you know nothing, you think you know everything there’s to know. After all, “you don’t know what you don’t know”.

Some people learn by making mistakes. It’s a hard and slow way of learning. But if they survives all the mistakes, they will eventually learn (not to make the same mistake)

I’m more curious whether the OP went out ski or not. If she went out, how’s the condition. And whether she had a good time.
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
Weirdly I often prefer snowy days to bluebird ones.

There are usually far less people on the slopes, powder skiing to be had on the pistes so nice and safe to play on.

It works wonders on technique as you have to concentrate more and try a bit harder.

And the mountains have a lovely quiet tranquility to them.

So long as you have the right gear on , no such thing as bad conditions.

As others have said , stick to tree lined runs though if possible.

This.

There is such a lovely peacefulness on a snowy day - assuming there is not a gale force wind blowing. Sounds are attenuated. People either don’t come out or go in early. A lot to like...
snow report
@abc, Noted, fair point but enough is enough. PS, I started at 58, but I get your drift Very Happy
ski holidays
jellylegs wrote:
Best time to ski.

Absolutely Jelly........... Especially if there already is big snow. So many memorable days when it was snowing,........., so quiet. And if enough of a dump, at least 40 plus cm of snow it's even better...............
latest report
i'll admit I am not a fan of skiing while it is snowing, the odd flurry is fine but I just cant get into skiing when there us a couple of inches of soft stuff.
snow conditions
Is this a serious question on a ski / board forum?
ski holidays
I love skiing when it's really snowing, quiet pistes and floofy snow is lovely. I've gone right off skiing in whiteout conditions though after going off the edge of a piste and ending up at the bottom of a ravine I didn't see. Fortunately nothing broken but next time I'll make sure I'm not the guy at the front.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga wrote:

Why not? As a skiier with a still-nervous skiing wife, I can easily see why conditions can have an effect on someone's confidence. Can't you?
latest report
There's a big difference between a snowy morning with nice fresh snow on a piste bashed overnight with most of the punters staying in bed and mid afternoon, flat light, snow falling when you are tired and you can't see the proto-moguls let alone the bare patches of hard pack. Only one of those two is fun. I'd still ski both though.
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
franga wrote:

Why not? As a skiier with a still-nervous skiing wife, I can easily see why conditions can have an effect on someone's confidence. Can't you?
Quite rolling eyes
snow conditions
Charliegolf wrote:
franga wrote:

But, given the nature of the forum, there will naturally be a large number of people who ski in all kinds of conditions and certainly won't let a bit of snow faze them.
snow conditions
ChrisBirrell wrote:
I love skiing when it's really snowing, quiet pistes and floofy snow is lovely. I've gone right off skiing in whiteout conditions though after going off the edge of a piste and ending up at the bottom of a ravine I didn't see. Fortunately nothing broken but next time I'll make sure I'm not the guy at the front.

Wow. Well you certainly have a valid basis for your opinion!
snow report
Well….I said earlier that I would go…with the right gear…but of course its more complex than that, since terrain varies, weather varies, mountains vary. All the following are real days….

Scenario 1: Horrible wet snow and low temps. Pretty miserable. Wet outer a&*e area from sitting on soggy chairs, even Gore trousers gather weight. Get to the car feeling glum, and steaming up the interior on the way home because of all the rampant dampness in the car. Worth it? Barely.

Scenario 2: Partner upset since not coping with the moguls everywhere, the hidden terrain bumps, and knee-drive turning since they are leaning back out of instinct. Might be a good day for me, but miserable for them. Retire to café.

Scenario 3: absolutely zero viz, know every cm of the hill and still have absolutely no idea of where we are, neither has the guide next to us, and when the clag lifts we are at least 200m from where we thought we were. Regret coming out, since on piste it’s 0.00002kmph progress, and offpiste lethal (see post on ‘Orange pole of death…’.

Scenario 4: drive to bottom station. Stare up hard. I think it tops out. IT DOES. When up at 2000m, we emerge from the clag onto 50cms of fresh, no tracks, no one on the hill since it’s snow and gloom in the valley. Woah…what a day.

Scenario 5: get out of bed. Snowing HARD. Check Meteox. Front will pass in an hour. Get in car. Get to bottom station, have a coffee. Get on hill. Sun comes out. No one on the hill. Woah…what a day.

Scenario 6: get out of bed. Snowing HARD. Check Meteox. Front will pass in an hour. Get in car. Get to bottom station, have a coffee. Nothing open because of Avi 5. Five! All over the Valais. Leukerbad cut off. Have another coffee. And another. Lifts still not open. Give up and go home.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
ChrisBirrell wrote:

Wow. Well you certainly have a valid basis for your opinion!

You now know who not to go out with.
snow report
Yes!
snow report
Yes. I did today. Found groomed blue with about 10-15 cm on it and no-one about, his from flat light and foggy - mayb to 10m max to reasonable considering. My route finding went Amis on the way back and I ended up unintentionally double black diamond in low vis complete with cliff band for added clenching.
snow report
Just pondering this as it’s snowing heavily in GM. Looks like complete white out so it’s a no from me until it clears a bit. I’m crap in whiteout conditions which is largely a confidence issue and especially at half term when it’s very busy I don’t think it’s enjoyable. If it’s not enjoyable I don’t do it.
snow conditions
@jirac18, If you are seeing what I am seeing in Chamonix, it's not really a "white out", it's not snowing nearly hard enough (although it is a very welcome sight!).

If you are much higher than me, you may well be in the cloud, which is, anyway, worse than a whiteout. I get rather nauseous when viz is poor.

Nonetheless, I would suggest... rule 5 to get out and get onto some tree lined runs which will give you orientation and contrast, and you may find you rather like it. But stay below the tree line. (Not difficult in the GM).
snow conditions
Definitely not a whiteout here but snowing reasonably heavily. I'm still staying in bed though, sunshine forecast tomorrow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy