Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down for Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
*makes me feel better that I’m not inefficient as a packer.
Ugh, need that sleep and that holiday.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DJAT, I am definitely a very efficient packer and the house rule is if it's in the hall it will get in the car but it's also not unusual that something key gets forgotten - best ski one was board bindings last year, still hanging in the garage. Have also forgotten stove when camping, apres clothes for me so had the same pair of jeans I'd travelled in all week and also forgot sheets for kids bed once too. It's a running joke each time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
talking about packing, we are lucky enough to have a small place out there so should need to take very little but somehow Mrs 996 still insists on taking masses.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We’re driving down in a Ford puckup, you would think that would be ample space for the four passengers, you would be right it is. We are taking an additional four peoples luggage including skis and piles of food. What I have learnt is that whatever you drive someone will fill it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are off to alpbach this year. Heading down Thursday evening from Shropshire to get tunnel and spend new got in Calais. Up early to leave around 7 on Friday morning and then big run to south of Munich. Up early Saturday and hopefully skiing by 10am. 2 adults and 2 boys 8 & 5
Only driven to France before so Should be interesting across Germany etc.
Negative is more stopover hotels, positive is cheaper holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thick As wrote:
We’re driving down in a Ford puckup, you would think that would be ample space for the four passengers, you would be right it is. We are taking an additional four peoples luggage including skis and piles of food. What I have learnt is that whatever you drive someone will fill it.

We are the same, going in a doube cab,just two of us, but two kids car seats for the grandkids when we pick them up from te airport and boots, skis etc for others two, going in three days time for 11 wks and getting really excited now
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I am definitely a very efficient packer

One who forgets snowboard bindings, apres clothes, bed sheets. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I am definitely a very efficient packer

One who forgets snowboard bindings, apres clothes, bed sheets. Laughing

space efficient if not anything else Laughing We will be starting a list this weekend and it'll be fine this year.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robs1 wrote:
Thick As wrote:

We are the same, going in a doube cab,just two of us, but two kids car seats for the grandkids when we pick them up from te airport and boots, skis etc for others two, going in three days time for 11 wks and getting really excited now

Going in our navara.
Are you getting snowchains for it?
Not got any for it yet, but got some good tyres onit
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Stu330
Yes, winters fitted now but have chains from when I just had the original tyres.
Nothing stopping us! (Except a blocked road full of other people!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We'll be driving to La Plagne in our motorhome again this half term.

Being from up north the kids are missing the Friday at school. We'll leave as soon as they finish on Thursday and head to the tunnel for a 11pm crossing.

Drive for an hour or so from Calais and pull up to sleep for the night. Friday we normally stop around Troyes to do a SuperU shop and have lunch, then drive onto Albertville where we'll stay on the Friday night.

Saturday be on the road at 7am to get to the motorhome parking in La Plagne early before the traffic builds.

Cook breakfast, get hire skis collected, ready for half day lift pass kicking in at 12:30 pm

4 weeks tomorrow!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're doing similar in our motorhome but leaving Friday when kids finish school, staying at Le Grand Bornand (again)- that way we avoid the queues towards 3 valleys etc- going out again at Easter.@Bianchigray does the La Plagne aire have hook up? and is it often available- we use aires a lot in the summer but in the more popular places the EHC is often dominated by a few- couldn't cope for long without it in winter so we often use campsites- would perhaps like to try somewhere new at Easter
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
always29 wrote:
We will be starting a list this weekend and it'll be fine this year.....

Is that on top of the laminated list? If the weather stays OK we are doing a test-pack! Woo.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Test pack 2019 *starts whistling the Tetris theme*
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Amateur! Pfft! You can see all the way through to the front window- get the sink! Very Happy
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, Don't brake too hard!

I actually bought a dog guard purely to provide a little reassurance that none of us would be taken out by a flying suitcase
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
Amateur! Pfft! You can see all the way through to the front window- get the sink! Very Happy

I do that as well to be able to see tailgating belgians in the rear view mirror
ski holidays
Quote:

With the tailgating Italians they get so close you can see straight through their car without noticing it, but wondering why someone seems to be sitting in your rear passenger seat.
latest report
Oleski wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

"Here come the Belgians!!"

Copyright: It's a knockout - the 1970's!
snow report
Talking of Belgians and doofers (which both have been in this thread) I had an ongoing spirited duel with two Belgians in an RS6 and Macan on last year's drive. They tailgated me, bombed past must have been doing 200kph and off into the distance. Passed them with the doofer at the next tolls - repeat two more times! So if nothing else, doofers are useful for p*ssing off high performance Belgians!!!
snow conditions
@dunc999, Much the same with Range Rovers with two boxes on the roof - I
I reckon they stop to fill up at every third services then go belting past then etc etc
ski holidays
@dunc999, unless said Belgian drives into 30km toll lane and then gets stuck Twisted Evil

@boredsurfin, you're optimistic wink - every 2nd station - Disco with large roofbox, managed around 28mpg this trip
latest report
@Boris, Laughing I thought 3 sounded more realistic - truth his they come blasting past me doing 130kph Cool vanish into the distance and then later they come blasting past again and then a while later they come blasting past again - one year I saw the same Range Rover filling up at Chambery on the way back but strangely didn't see it again! (I only fill up my 4x4 once on the trip)
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, you also have to consider RR probably means 2/3 young kdis - so probably a lot of loo stops as well Toofy Grin
latest report
The 'window' hole is a pre-req for Always29 to drive - she likes to see where she's been.
ski holidays
Quote:

the La Plagne aire have hook up? and is it often available- we use aires a lot in the summer but in the more popular places the EHC is often dominated by a few- couldn't cope for long without it in winter so we often use campsites- would perhaps like to try somewhere new at Easter

Yes, individual hook up. Access to fresh water, grey and black waste disposal, rubbish bins. Best of all its right by the side of the piste in Plagne Villages.

You have to book for half term as soon as dates are released (usually October) but other times of year much quieter. The website booking is easy. It's around €22 a night in winter but that includes the hook up so good prices for location and services provided.

Usually a few UK vans in at half term.
ski holidays
stu330 wrote:
robs1 wrote:
Thick As wrote:

Going in our navara.
Are you getting snowchains for it?
Not got any for it yet, but got some good tyres onit

yes we have chains but never needed the on our hilux even last year when we drove up some steepish roads with deep snow, always a first time though and to be honest probably more important for stopping when going down hill rather than up
snow report
Eurotunnel called last week. They wanted to check that the height of our vehicle was over 1.85m They are making sure that they optimise the space as they are expecting it to be busy on the Friday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So after good advice in another thread I have a plan a. and b. in mind for the Caen to Aosta trip:

a = Caen, round paris, below Dijon, Jura, Lausanne, GSB tunnel
b = Caen, Le Mans, Tours, Bourges, then make a decision wither head for MBT or go Jura, Lausanne GSM

One thing is that Saturday morning 15th feb is the middle week of the Paris half term. Does that mean it's quieter round and then down the A6 or just as busy as their first holiday weekend?
snow report
robs1 wrote:
terrygasson wrote:
thanks @jonathancarty, after reading your post, checked my doofer status and needed to order a new one as the battery was "near expiry", that could have been embarrassing crashing into the first paege barrier at 30kph!!!!!

Me too and it said near expiry so ordered new one for next day delivery as we leave Friday night, Im not 100% sure the batteries(if they do have them at all) do expire as we use a similar device to recognize cows and also pet id chips which respond to a signal by giving out a code that the reader picks up, they AFAIK never die, BUT Im not taking the risk of not having a tag for 11 wks while we are there, we always after having one for five years still give out a whoop when the gate opens rolling eyes childish I know but who cares

Does anyone know how to check the battery status of an APRR doofer? I have been through the webpage and looked at my account details, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious information about it. Thanks!
ski holidays
A6 will be very busy. Traffic jam start around 3am until midday around Auxerre. I would take the a5 Troyes > Dijon >a40
snow conditions
@Page23
The Emovis website will tell you how old the doofer is and the battery status.
Log in and have a look at the My Devices bit. It should list your devices and give the status of the TAG and the battery expiry.
ski holidays
Page23 wrote:
Does anyone know how to check the battery status of an APRR doofer? I have been through the webpage and looked at my account details, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious information about it. Thanks!

There isn't any (that I know of). One time we went out and it just didn't work. We had to pay on the fly and then order a new doofer when we got home. Bit of a pain but probably easy enough to just a order a new one every 5 years to be on the safe side. In fact, I should probably do so myself!
latest report
Layne wrote:
Page23 wrote:

There isn't any (that I know of). One time we went out and it just didn't work. We had to pay on the fly and then order a new doofer when we got home. Bit of a pain but probably easy enough to just a order a new one every 5 years to be on the safe side. In fact, I should probably do so myself!

I am glad I chanced upon this thread. We are driving down at half term, following these comments I checked on the website, and it says mine is dead. Replacement ordered! Not surprising since it’s been four years since we skied (the wife had an accident, ending up with a torn ACL, meniscal tear repair and more - it’s taken her four years to gather the courage to get back on skis, and I am very proud of her for doing so).

We will be driving down on Friday evening, have a hotel booked on the way but am debating driving straight through...
snow report
Ordered my replacement last week, arrived a couple of days later. You need to send the old one back to get a refund on the deposit
ski holidays
Test-pack over the weekend. 3 sets of skis, poles and 2 boards in 1 bag and a round of boot Tetris...

latest report
Thick As wrote:
@Page23
The Emovis website will tell you how old the doofer is and the battery status.
Log in and have a look at the My Devices bit. It should list your devices and give the status of the TAG and the battery expiry.

Yeah, that won't work for me as mine is an APRR doofer. I've had it for around 2 years so it should be fine I guess. Will be holding my breath at the first barrier!
snow report
Impressive. And organised. One advantage of driving is knowing your kit is stowed just so, and not being thrown around in airport transit. I’m a terrible packer (a just-in-case person), luckily my OH is very good (too little, IMO) so we balance out. And there is a knack to pack, like supermarket shopping.
Last year, friends (who we ski every year) packed everything in the car, kitchen sink you name it, but forgot his boxers bar the pair he was driving down in. Quick stop in a supermarche en route had only the briefiest of French men’s briefs. Cue much teasing all week Very Happy
latest report
Page23 wrote:
Yeah, that won't work for me as mine is an APRR doofer. I've had it for around 2 years so it should be fine I guess. Will be holding my breath at the first barrier!

Two years should be no problem, we've had ours much longer.
latest report
Layne wrote:
Page23 wrote:

Two years should be no problem, we've had ours much longer.

I agree - ours has been used for 5 years worth of trips and has just gone to "Near Expiry" - new one ordered, so thanks to all the snowheads who brought this up - might have left it too late to check otherwise Shocked Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy