Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down for Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
@jonathancarty, Im the same as you, That power nap rechages me massively.
i hate flying and love the freedom the car gives us.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Charliee re Caen ferry and question over Paris traffic.....

I'm doing same as you 24 hrs later and asked about Paris and a6 traffic as looking at alternative route via Le Mans etc. Response was its one of the busiest Paris holiday weekends of the year.
The alternative route is a chunk of km and time more though...

So my plan is to check traffic on google and wave as we come off the boat and make a last minute decision. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it helps, we mistakenly came back via Paris, the periphique, on the Sunday after half term and it wasn't crazy busy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickYoung wrote:
Being based in the Northern Powerhouse, I'm toying with the idea of Hull-Zebrugge out on the Thurs evening, may be a hotel stop around Macon/Lyon, then into Ste Foy on the Saturday.

Then, tunnel for return trip (Flexiplus, so no drama on timings for the crossing).

Has anyone else tried Zeebrugge??

I'm a bit late to this thread but yes we always do Zeebrugge, we're on the Fri night ferry this week (live near Huddersfield). I can't bear the drive to Dover and whilst P&O quoted us £477 I managed to get it for £270 with the Camping and Caravanning Club. Bargain seeing as though flights were £1200!

It must be busy though as we booked it months ago and are having to come back from Rotterdam as Zeebrugge to Hull was full coming back! Doesn't add much though as we will head up via Strasbourg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weather forecast looking good for half termers - snow today and Thursday but clear for the drive down Friday and changeover day on Saturday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had been watching the forecasts about whether we were expecting to be driving through falling snow on Saturday... Fingers crossed etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sat looking sunny across northern alps according to Meteo France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sat looking sunny across northern alps according to Meteo France.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Driving in France sat looks fine but I’m watching the forecast with horror for Friday nights Portsmouth to Caen sailing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 11-02-20 19:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks so much for advice re driving on Sat/Sun...experience much appreciated.

I’m going to see how we all feel on Saturday night after the shuttle.

I’d be inclined to keep on driving, but I do have an early start on the Saturday, so I might not feel so chipper.

We’ll see.. hotel cheap enough to ignore and I’d be happy enough to snooze a the services but maybe not with a full car.

Either way, good luck everyone - a storm on the way again this weekend, I hear.

Take care, enjoy the snow and thanks again for the advice
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's 4 rooms just become available at Kyriad Centre in Chambery as I ve just cancelled as we are driving right through on Friday now

Friday and Saturday look fine for driving down
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Useful official French traffic site to bookmark
https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/index,langen.html

Also for Tarentaise resorts in France follow Prefet de la Savoie on Twitter for up to date road info.
Similarly follow Savoie Mont Blanc as well
and of course you'll be following Eurotunnel Le Shuttle for the latest on delays crossing the Channel
and @highwaysSEAST to see if the M20 is open!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Power napping is on my agenda this year. We’ve no hotel booked and am planning to leave on Friday night.

I reckon a couple of naps between 1 and 3 will be needed and then crack on to get close enough to not worry about the rest of the drive. Slow and steady... starting to wish I’d got the car with the automated motorway driving....

I’ve tried the chains on so am ready!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I’m watching the forecast with horror for Friday nights Portsmouth to carb sailing

I'm hoping Dennis won't arrive until Saturday by which time we'll be safely across.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm hoping Dennis won't arrive until Saturday by which time we'll be safely across.....

When are you sailing ?
Latest forecast has failed back the winds a bit but still nervous. Wonder at what forecast Brittany ferries cancel and what the options are - drive to Dover ?
ski holidays
Leaving Plymouth at 1600hrs on Friday. We are booked at 2330hrs but have a flexi ticket and hoping to jump on an earlier ferry....
snow conditions
From Dover
snow report
Quick question for the knowledgable - I’m looking for a good resource to find the location of motorway service stations in France. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.
snow conditions
@philhitch, is try viamichelin as a start
snow report
https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

For fuel prices (top tip - don't fill up on the autoroute!!)
snow report
I have a few stops for cheaper fuel on the way down (having driven some thirsty cars in the past) which may help someone (just post the Google Maps location without the quotes into the Google Maps search bar):
- Calais (Cite Europe underground car park) Google Maps "WRP4+F9 Coquelles, France" - this is the one that the locals use rather than the staggeringly expensive one on the left as you leave the Eurotunnel
- An overnight stop that we have used (Novotel family room for 4 of us) Google Maps "7X3G+3Q Tinqueux, France"
- Dijon Fuel Google Maps "C5CC+V7 Brognon, France"
- Pontarlier Intermarche (coffee, food & shopping just before the border to Switzerland) Google Maps "Q9CH+9G Les Hôpitaux-Neufs, France"

Last tip - the menu in Google Maps has an "offline maps" section which allows you to download maps in advance - therefore no mobile data is used when abroad and maps are there even in areas of dodgy mobile coverage.

Hope this helps someone.
latest report
We use this hypermarket just off the A4 at Reims:

https://www.e-leclerc.com/champfleury

And this Intermarche just off the A42 south of BeB (we then head cross country on the D1504 to Chambery missing the Lyon traffic):

https://www.intermarche.com/magasins/10498/amberieu-en-bugey-01500/infos-pratiques
snow conditions
Tournus, just after Dijon and before Macon, on the A4 is a good halfway point for fuel, village close to the motorway with a choice of two fuel stations (with clean toilets) which keeps prices down, there is also a Mc Donalds if you must... Very Happy
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Maps?address=Autoroute%20du%20Soleil%2C%2071700%20Tournus%2C%20France
snow conditions
@MHskier, we’re sailing on Friday night from Portsmouth to St Malo. What route are you taking? I was going to go via Tours to avoid Paris.
snow report
@Mhskier @Jonesj We're booked on Portsmouth to Caen Friday night too, fingers crossed!!! attempting to drive all the way to Grand Massif on saturday with 4 and 1 yr old. Wish us luck.
snow report
@pivvington, colouring books, reading books, DVD’s and sick bags!

If you’ve not done that route before it’s okay and not as bad as you might fear.

Good luck
snow report
Yes same Portsmouth to Caen fri night. I’m considering both via outer Paris route (quickest theoretical time/lowest mileage) or alternatively via Le Mans tours.

Paris then A6 traffic could mean Plan B is less stressful if not actually quicker. I plan to look at Google and wazr for traffic estimates as coming off the boat and call it then.
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
@pivvington, colouring books, reading books, DVD’s and sick bags!

If you’ve not done that route before it’s okay and not as bad as you might fear.

Good luck

I can recommend these sick bags as tested many times by my children who are sick at least 3 times per trip. Much better than the thin paper ones, or plastic shopping bags, and can be tied tightly by the kids to stop odours escaping.
Cleanis CareBag Absorbent Sick Vomit Bags, Pack 20 Sickness Bags https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051AZZCM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BlarEb54DX25J?tag=amz07b-21

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 12-02-20 15:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pivvington, @MHskier, we’ll have 3 kids aged 14, 15 and 21 and they’ll still fight all the way there. My wife has also insisted that we take our 2 6-month old Yorkshire Terriers who are still struggling to understand that they shouldn't crap where ever they like. What can go wrong Sad
snow conditions
10:30pm train to Calais on Friday. Meeting up with a couple of other families in Northern France and then convoy overnight to Bourg St. Maurice for a week in Les Arcs. A 14 and 16 year old of my own in the car plus possibly a borrowed 15 year old from one of the other cars! Only me driving but fortunately day off on Friday so will sleep most of the day. Safe travels to you all.
snow conditions
Ozboy - normally no issues on the ferry but that’s summer experience so this bags may be worth the investment
ski holidays
Curses!

Just had an email from Brittany Ferries letting us know our Caen - Portsmouth sailing next Sunday morning as been changed to a Cherbourg - Portsmouth sailing. Leaving at the same time so that's an extra 1hr20mins drive at the end of an all nighter which I really don't need.
snow conditions
Hi, We will be heading down to Austria on Saturday, 7.30 am Eurotunnel. Normally I take the Belgium/Germany/Austria route but was considering heading down through France this time for a change taking the route from Calias->Reims->Metz->Strasbourg, then into Germany and Austria.

There seems to be plenty of France travellers on this thread so I was wondering how much traffic will be on this route in France given that it's French and English school holidays. Is it going to be really bad or is most of the traffic heading from Paris to the french alps ?

If the traffic is going to be bad in France I might as well take the usual Belgium/Germany route and save some toll money if it's not going to save any time taking the French route.

Thanks for any advice.
latest report
Yikes!!

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/31/easyjet-reveals-electric-plane-will-make-flying-greener-cheaper-12158513/
snow conditions
@jw83113, Bison Fute gives good predictions of French Motorway traffic. Link for your weekend here https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/du-14-02-au-16-02.html . The big movement this weekend is the start of English and Paris half terms detailed here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139730

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-02-20 22:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Timc, you have an extra . at the end of your link fixed it for you Very Happy

https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/du-14-02-au-16-02.html
latest report
@Zorrac, Thanks also edited the original so it now works. Very Happy
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
Yikes!!

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/31/easyjet-reveals-electric-plane-will-make-flying-greener-cheaper-12158513/

You need to add that to the electric debate thread Ozboy.

Just a cursory glance though, it'd have to takeoff AND then land with full payload if it's on batteries Shocked that'll be some feat.
latest report
@ski3, sorry my bad - wrong thread. Spinning too many plates
ski holidays
@Ozboy, I did wonder after I'd posted if you meant it to be other thread, not criticising just thought worthy of inclusion on there too Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy