Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sno ski jackets - any experience?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, At risk of being shot down, I need to find the (fine) balance between decent ski jacket and a style my daughter will like & wear! So, does anyone have any experience of Topshop's SNO ski wear range, jackets in particular?
Thanks
Kate
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In all honesty it is really going to depend on conditions, in warm, sunny and cold conditions almost any jacket can be made to work as long as the wearer is proper to put layers on underneath, base layer, fleece insulator jacket etc.

where jackets tend to struggle in when it snows all day, jackets that market themselves as snow repellent rather than waterproof can start to get wet, heavy and cold in snowy conditions especially if it is relatively warm when it is snowing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd certainly be reluctant to buy a ski jacket that's described as being 'designed with water repellant fabrication' rather than being waterproof.

As @wardy89 says, if you're ever out when it's snowing you're going to want to have something better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. Yes @olderscot that did concern me too, but then the label says waterproof, windproof, insulated, ideal for variable conditions with a snowflake logo. So am a bit confused to be honest!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Katemic, “snowflake logo”? Does that actually signify anything? I don’t think so ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Katemic, I'm not surprised you're confused. I'm sure half the problem is that the wannabee fashionistas given the job of writing the website descriptions have no clue at all about ski clothing.

I'd say you probably have 3 options:

1) Assume the store buyers probably have a bit of sense and the jackets will actually be fine in a bit of snow, especially as technical materials are so cheap these days. In which case go ahead and buy it and if it turns out to be useless take it back and show them the label and get your money back.

2) Assume the jacket is mostly for looking good and your daughter is more likely to stay in than venture out up a hill in a snowstorm. If the worst comes to the worst she'll get a bit cold and wet and might base her next decision more on technical performance than looks. Go ahead and buy it in the knowledge that you know what you're getting.

3) play safe and buy something else.

In your situation I suspect I'd lean towards option 1. I find it hard to believe anyone would make a ski jacket these days that isn't fit for purpose.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-01-20 17:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Srsly. Topshop? For mountainwear?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think my previous ski jacket came from Tesco's. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you think of a ski jacket as weatherproof jacket (like you'd use for hill walking) but with a need to a) cope with more variation of activity (you got hot and sweaty skiing downhill and chill out when you are riding the lifts) and b) with perhaps some extra features for skiing (snowskirt, wrist loops, lift pass pocket).

If you take a typical Surfanic jacket (brand our family have used mostly in the last decade) it will state something like this:

Shell : Surftex
Waterproofness : 10,000mm Hydrostatic Head
Breathability : 10,000 g/ms MVTR
Insulation : 80gm Thermosoft (Body), 40g Thermosoft (Sleeves)
•Detachable Hood
•Fully Taped Seams
•Detachable Snow Skirt
•3-Way volume adjuster on hood
•Super-soft chin guard
•Zipped sleeve ski pass pocket
•Snow cuffs with thumb loops
•Hook and Loop adjustable cuff closure, with Integrated Snow Cuff
•Twin zipped tricot lined hand-warmer pockets
•Mesh lined, pit zip ventilation
•Internal media pocket
•Headphone cable routing system
•Detachable goggle wipe inside internal pocket
•Dry Butt Patch

So the first three things cover a) I mentioned above and then the rest covers the b).

I doubt Topshop stuff (which is fashion based) will do a good job.

I understand getting something that is stylish as well as functional can be a challenge but it will would be a mistake to just concentrate on the former.

As well as Surfanic, Trespass is another solid brand.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @layne. Might try and convince her away from it!!
I have advent tog 24 ski jacket and a decent trespass one. She had a good roxy one last year that did the job nicely and had all the right technical info but sadly has grown out of it. Also a surfanic one she’s grown out of. Expensive year for her this year as having to replace all her stuff after a huge growth spurt!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with the above.

Look at solid vfm performance stuff from the likes of:

Trespass
Surfanic
Dare 2 Be
Decathlon

Check out places like TK Maxx, Sport Pursuit and SnowTrax
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, will do!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, will do!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:

Are not words I would ever use for Tresspass... Honestly the worst gear I have ever owned, jackets fell apart (Zip ripped out the front after 5 days), ski pants leak and rip with ease. The cheap ass ski tour opp I worked for had all the uniforms made by them. One year 50 jackets delaminated.

Honestly on a budget I would 1st look at Decathlon's Simond gear, it compares well to my Goretex Pro shell and ski pants, but its 1/3rd of the price. Its the best thing I've ever discovered.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lordf wrote:
Layne wrote:

Are not words I would ever use for Tresspass... Honestly the worst gear I have ever owned, jackets fell apart (Zip ripped out the front after 5 days), ski pants leak and rip with ease. The cheap ass ski tour opp I worked for had all the uniforms made by them. One year 50 jackets delaminated.

Honestly on a budget I would 1st look at Decathlon's Simond gear, it compares well to my Goretex Pro shell and ski pants, but its 1/3rd of the price. Its the best thing I've ever discovered.

That’s Walt helpful!! Thanks so much! Little Angel
ski holidays
Very helpful even!
latest report
lordf wrote:

Wow, things must have gone down hill badly.

I bought their stuff for the kids, but that was probably 15+ years ago. It was very well made and solid value.
snow report
lordf wrote:
Layne wrote:

Both of my kids had Trespass skiing jackets when they were younger. They were excellent. I seem to remember we even sold one of them on afterwards.

I currently have a Trespass rain jacket. I'll admit the zip stitching game away and had to be repaired but that aside it's an excellent jacket.
snow conditions
Trespass childrens jackets in 2011 modelled by a 4yo and a 6yo:

latest report
lordf wrote:
Layne wrote:

Their Simond gear is very good value for money and if it works thats brill - but that is Decathlons mountaineering and climbing imprint - so much of it is quite a snug fit (compared to ski gear) and isnt designed specifically with skiing in mind re pocket placement etc.

Not dissing it, but something to bear in mind.

One things for 100% sure, it is far better than the Top Shop stuff !!!
ski holidays
Separating the wheat from the chaff can be a very difficult task,
Look up skibay on facebook, lots of barely used high end ski wear advertised/wanted
The highest end ski wear that I ever had was an Elesse onesie back in the 80's, which wasn't very good.
I'm not convinced by "breathable" fabrics, I prefer a totally waterproof fabric with zippable underarm & other vents
snow conditions
“prefer a totally waterproof fabric with zippable underarm & other vents“

I didn’t know they had the interpipes in 1970?
snow report
@Katemic, I see your problem. The venn diagram that covers 'decent quality ski wear' and 'clothes a teenager would be seen dead in' doesn't have much overlap Confused The Topshop stuff has a bit of a Bognor feel about it, but at 1/10 of the price. Unfortunately, a lot of jackets produced by the more affordable ski wear brands leave a lot to be desired in the style stakes, and I totally get why she doesn't want to wear them, I wouldn't either!

In addition to what's already been mentioned, try Surfdome or Blue Tomato as both stores aim for the younger market and might have something she likes.
ski holidays
They're absolutely fine, my youngling has this sort of stuff all the time & managed perfectly well, in harsh conditions, in a Dorothy Perkins jacket (iirc). Last year there were loads of girls in the sno stuff, along with asos, misguided and suchlike - all much of a muchness as far as I can tell. None of them will last years but that's sort of the point with the fashion thing isn't it? They are expensive though (for what they are) - best bought in sales!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy