Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OTG goggles or prescription inserts

Poster: A snowHead
Due to eye issues i can no longer wear contact lenses for any length of time. This year will be the first year that i won't be able to wear my contacts so i need a whole new way of correcting my eyesight when skiing.

I currently see myself as having two options. Over the glasses goggles or a prescription insert that i can put into my existing goggles.

I'm very short sighted so a decent prescription insert is approx £120 which is similar money to a reasonable set of OTG goggles.

Can anyone share their experiences of either option to help me decide which route to take.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always used OTG goggles (currently Oakley Canopy) and they do just fine for me.

Make sure you have a reasonably smallish pair of glasses though as big ol' Dame Edna specs are going to snag, so make sure you Try-B4U-buy with the glasses you intend to wear.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Due to my family personal experience I have an absolute lack of faith in the ability of any OTG goggles to stay fog free in cold weather and hard terrain.
Didn't try the Julbo expandable frame or the one with internal fan (wanted to buy but I read reviews denoting bad battery performance in cold weather)
Can't speak about the prescription inserts, a good helmet with visor solved the problem.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used a prescription insert bought in France (for a lot less than £120). It was very effective though I now have contacts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JanetS and I both now need glasses to ski, and the solution that has worked very well for us over the last few seasons is to wear a visor over our glasses. Much less prone to misting up than glasses and OTG goggles.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used a visor helmet for a couple of seasons, but the poor airflow and the proximity of my glasses to my face still led to misting.
Last year I got some prescription inserts from RockSpex.co.uk - they're great for skiing, but because snowboarding you are looking sideways, there is a bit or peripheral interference which can be troubling when it's busy and thees lots of folks around as you are not sure how close they are Smile
I am told that my eyes & brain will learn to process this over time, so I wear them when it's not busy, and prescription sunnies or reactor lights the rest of the time.
Do I wear them in bad weather / poor visibility ?
Hell, no - I stay indoors Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did you try a search on the forum. This has been pretty covered in depth.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Visor helmet for me every time
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear OTG goggles, Bolle, quite a bit less than £120, and only find that they steam up if I'm overheating and come to a stop. It just means that I have a be a little more proactive in adjusting layers than I would otherwise bother with and is trickiest on days when it is snowing as you feel that you want to be well wrapped up but then end up doing intensive laps quite low down in the trees where it is not actually that cold
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lower, I always wear contact lenses when skiing for fear of wearing goggles OTG - until my last trip when i forgot to pack any lenses Shocked initially, i panicked, investigating how much to get some lenses couriered from the UK, investigating whether to book an appointment at the nearest optician etc, etc until............ I tentatively tried my on my goggles over my specs, and realised that it was an amazingly comfortable experience. Admittedly, my current glasses are of a fairly 'low volume' design, and have a sturdy frame material, so i didn't need to worry about them getting bent out of shape etc. Now, i don't know if i'll bother packing contact lenses ever again ! Try it, and you might be pleasantly surprised Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went the the prescription insert route - here's my thread on the topic https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2828211
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Before I had laser eye earlier this year (best decision I've ever made if anyone is interested in it!) I used prescription inserts in my goggles. I ordered mine from here: https://www.spex4less.com/

Worked a treat and meant I could swap easily enough between my two different goggles. I then had a pair of prescription sunglasses when it was a bluebird day.

I never fancied OTG goggles as from what I had seen and read, glasses fogged up quite a lot.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One point on visors - if you know that your eyes water in cold weather or in wind, then visors may not be for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WASHOUT wrote:
Did you try a search on the forum. This has been pretty covered in depth.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3496318&highlight=goggles#3496318

Yes covered in-depth, and in case you missed it, and in-depth test of a new system that does not use the more typical inserts that can be prone to fogging up, but a sealed unit.

https://stylealtitude.com/prescription-ski-goggles.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
One point on visors - if you know that your eyes water in cold weather or in wind, then visors may not be for you.

That's interesting...thank you
snow report
I can't wear contacts and would feel naked without my specs - goggles with prescription inserts would be weird - so I've always used OTG goggles.
The specs can steam up in the right (wrong?) conditions - typically in a bubble or gondola but they generally clear as soon as I get moving - airflow is key. Post-headplant steaming can take a while to get rid of ... so I try to avoid headplants Toofy Grin

If I were to buy a new lid, I think I would buy one with a visor as that seems to work really well for most people I've spoken to about them. However, this...

Richard_Sideways wrote:

... applies to me so may be a consideration.
snow report
Thanks to all who contributed. I have tried my goggles over my glasses, but they don't fit.

I've ordered prescription inserts for now. I have a decent set of Dragon goggles which don't steam up so i'm hoping that they'll perform the same with inserts in. If they don't work i'll buy either a helmet with a visor or OTG goggles in resort. At least doing it that way i have the option of shed loads of ski shops in close proximity to visit and find a set of goggles or a helmet that fits.
snow conditions
I tried the "official" OTG goggles when I started having to wear glasses fulltime. They kept misting.
So I took an ancient pair of Oakley goggles, and cut off the foam to create space for the glasses arms. I have since cut out more sections of foam to prevent any misting.
The result might look a bit "jumble sale", but the effect is 100%!!
snow report
There's also this thread:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140638

As I'm not quite desperate yet I went for these cheaper OTGs. Not due to try them for a few weeks so won't know until then if they're good or not.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002C38S98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
Having tried all the non-contacts options I think you'll be happy with prescription inserts - it's where I've ended up too.

Fogging can be an issue, so grab yourself some anti-fog wipes to use on the inserts (NOT the goggle lens). I'm currently using "fogtech DX" ones, bought from RXSports.co.uk where I got my goggles and inserts. Even then you can get a little fogging - but it's limited to zero airflow situations (e.g. standing around at the bottom/top of a chair) and clears in a couple of seconds as soon as you start moving down the hill, or even if you just pull your goggles away from your face for 5-10 seconds.
ski holidays
lower wrote:
Due to eye issues i can no longer wear contact lenses for any length of time. This year will be the first year that i won't be able to wear my contacts so i need a whole new way of correcting my eyesight when skiing.

What are your issues?

If it's due to dry eye, discomfort from soft lenses... does your optician dispense/fit scleral contact lenses?

I'm happily using Sclerals now, as i realised wearing glasses was just too much of a faff, and especially for sports/skiing etc.

They're 'hard' lenses but unlike the smaller 'RGP' corneal type are much larger about the diameter of a soft lens (~15mm) and sit on the white of your eyes (Sclera) with a small gap between the lens and your cornea, which is filled with saline when you insert them - and so, very, very comfortable and much better vision than soft lenses and astigmatism correction. Mine are actually multifocal and work brilliantly for presbyopia on top of the short sight and astigmatic correction.

Worth researching, at least (I've been through trying those small corneal RGP hard lenses, could never get used to them, soft lenses, then PRK laser about 30 years ago... then progressive spectacles due to sight and presbyopia before finding out about Scleral lenses...).

https://optiquenashville.com/why-are-scleral-contact-lenses-best-for-fixing-poor-vision/

https://reviewofcontactlenses.com/article/when-to-opt-for-scleral-lenses
ski holidays
I used to wear OTG goggles, but my glasses kept steaming up. I found that if I wore mid distance contacts that they worked very well (and my glasses for the pit-stops!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy