Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fondue, raclette, tartiflette - what next?

Poster: A snowHead
@Masque, I don't have a closed mind when it comes to flavours (apart from inbuilt hates like coriander leaf) but when it comes to food that is excessively rich/fatty or excessively sweet or, as you sometimes advocate, both at once Shocked, I prefer a degree of restraint.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hurtle, Fer someone who makes a delightful smoked mackeral pate to complain about rich/fatty/sweet food . . . ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Anybody had Flammekueche? It’s a bit like Belgian(?) / Northern French pizza.

From the Alsace region, plus the bordering bits of Germany. Quite common even around this bit of Germany too (near Frankfurt).

Lardons, onions and creme fraiche cooked on a kind of pizza style base. Delicious, just like most things with bacon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handk%C3%A4se is our local speciality cheese dish. Looks rank. The cheese in the supermarket looks like a bar of natural soap. Can't see it catching on in a ski resort like all the other dishes comprised mostly of cheese.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque wrote:
@Hurtle, Fer someone who makes a delightful smoked mackeral pate to complain about rich/fatty/sweet food . . . ?
What are you talking about? The ingredients of my pâté are: smoked, peppered mackerel, a very little creamed horseradish, lemon juice and 0% unsweetened fromage frais. Natural fish oils are of course healthy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handk%C3%A4se is our local speciality cheese dish. Looks rank. The cheese in the supermarket looks like a bar of natural soap. Can't see it catching on in a ski resort like all the other dishes comprised mostly of cheese.
As my Dad used to say, I've had that twice - for the first and for the last time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This thread's probably going to draw the cheese-lovers, but we debate Club Med's claim that Brits eat 2kg of cheese each on ski holiday in the latest episode of The Ski Podcast:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7473962-46-how-to-ski-on-ice-podcasts-united-and-2kg-of-cheese
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosbie wrote:
For the really serious suasage eater, there are Andouillettes, which should only be attempted by lovers of offal and tripe (and in a well ventilated or unpopulated area).
Before during and after . . . much after . . . consumtion Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
Masque wrote:
What are you talking about? The ingredients of my pâté are: smoked, peppered mackerel, a very little creamed horseradish, lemon juice and 0% unsweetened fromage frais. Natural fish oils are of course healthy.

I didn’t understand that either, being one who’s had the pleasure of eating your smoked mackerel pate.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geepee, the point being that as delightful as it is and I'm 100% with you on that (though I forgo the horseradish for fine diced or crushed onion and I have tried it with Quark or Tzatziki for a slightly lighter texture and taste) It is still Rich Fatty and Sweet. (see below, but I find fish to taste very sweet and the lemon juice gives a lovely balance to the mackerel)

Sadly we can no longer claim any benefit from fish oils as AFAIC recall, latest research shows no positive effect . . . all things in moderation as it were.

All taste is subjective and the Corriander thing is again a genetic characteristic (like bitter sprouts) I love it but for some it tastes like chlorinated washing up soap.

Hurtle and I just have differing palates and I think the World (in a small way) is all the better for that Blush
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Masque, it is the taking of omega-3 fish oil supplements that has been debunked as having no effect. Eating of oily fish as part of a healthy diet is still encouraged. I would certainly not describe the aforementioned paté as rich or sweet, although the sweetness might differ depending on the smoked mackerel cure.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A bit French this thread?

Grostl
Rosti
Goulashsuppe

My top 3
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perhaps some fresh vegetables, save me from melted cheese.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As long as no one puts polenta on my plate, I’m happy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dode, +1
latest report
@dode, @twoodwar, one of my favourite dishes:
https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/venetian-style-calf-liver-fegato-alla-veneziana
ski holidays
@Hurtle, love calves liver, especially in Italy, but work very hard to avoid polenta. Perhaps I have been unlucky but it is either as shown here, (tasteless) or formed solidly and grilled, (tasteless) horrible texture in both cases. I assume it depends on the flavouring, but having tried it a number of times, I would not go past a potato to get to polenta, or rice, or pasta, or bread, or even Kale god forbid.
snow report
Cheese fondue anyone?
snow report
@twoodwar, I can understand you not liking the texture, I don't mind it, it's slippery things I tend not to like. I used to love semolina pudding as a kid, you wouldn't have liked that either!
latest report
@twoodwar, hubby feels equally disgusted by polenta. We've even asked to have pasta instead at a couple of places in Italy, one point blank refused as apparently they didn't have any suitable. The wild boar ragu was delicious though, so no need for the carbs.
Me, I'm ambivalent, the first couple of mouthfuls are OK, if there's a a shed load of butter in it, but then it starts to congeal.....
snow conditions
like music, its all about taste snowHead
ski holidays
Speaking to an Italian friend after returning from a trip to Sauze, he asked where I'd been and when I told then responded "oh they're all polenta eaters up there" asking him to explain, replied that he came from Rimini and considered himself a "Beachboy" as they where "Mountainmen" Very Happy

It amused me his perceived north/south/costal, split was almost like another species Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 15-01-20 15:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Excellent timing as ever from the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jan/15/how-to-cook-tartiflette-recipe-felicity-cloake-cheese-reblochon
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
A bit French this thread?

Grostl
Rosti
Goulashsuppe

My top 3
Have lived on the three of them this week, and my daughters on nuddlesouppe. I think I test the goulashsuppe in each mountain hut to see which is best,
ski holidays
SBP wrote:
Excellent timing as ever from the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jan/15/how-to-cook-tartiflette-recipe-felicity-cloake-cheese-reblochon

I don't advise adding white wine - makes it too runny.

I also am not sure that 'whipping cream' is going to be quite the same as 'creme fraiche'.

What I have not yet attempted is to sauté the potato slices in butter prior to incorporation. Apparently, this is a super-luxurious tweak (added labour).
snow report
Guardian recipe an ambomination - cube spuds? Whatever next. - Not spreading out an entire level of cheese - guarantee of argy bargy among the racing spoons.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Guardian recipe an ambomination - cube spuds? Whatever next. - Not spreading out an entire level of cheese - guarantee of argy bargy among the racing spoons.

I quite agree, having now looked a little more closely. It's what a newbie chef would do having had Tartiflette explained to them over the phone by a five year old.
snow conditions
Unusual for Felicity Cloake to produce something so unsatisfactory. Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, she went out of her way to eat one in Morzine in her book One More Croissant for the Road. Cubed and fried it is a Pella rather than a tartiflette.
latest report
@Hells Bells, ok, a Pela Savoyarde, is a fry up of diced spuds, bacon bits, & diced onions, into which is melted a chunk of Reblochon - a sort of Tartiflette-in-a-hurry. Probably tastes fine.
latest report
Just had a quick search and this is a better Tartiflette recipe:
https://www.gustave.com/recettes/451/tartiflette.html
snow report
@Hells Bells, @crosbie, never heard of it.
snow report
@Hurtle, first time for me too.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Unusual for Felicity Cloake to produce something so unsatisfactory. Confused

Very.
Though it has to be noted this is the "how to" series rather than one of her "how to cook the perfect.." magnum opuses (opii?)

In those she tries up to 6 or 7 different variations on a recipe and comes up with an optimum combination. i.e. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/dec/05/how-cook-perfect-christmas-ham

vaguely linked; I've used the ham from that recipe very satisfactorily in a raclette
ski holidays
@SBP, magna opera Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@SBP, magna opera Madeye-Smiley

Too much chilli in this one https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/dec/23/how-make-perfect-turkey-curry-christmas--recipe-felicity-cloake makes it a "magma output"...

I'll get my coat
snow report
Whenever I've been in the French Alps, I've always swerved the dodgy molten cheese fare and gone straight for the carnivorous Pierrade de Boeuf...delicious with its accompanying sauces, veggies and a plate of pommes frites!! Very Happy

snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
For the really serious suasage eater, there are Andouillettes, which should only be attempted by lovers of offal and tripe (and in a well ventilated or unpopulated area).

...love Andouillette but my favourite sausage at the moment is cotechino ideally served in a Bollito Misto for the full eyelashes, assseholes and elbows feast perfect on a cold wet white out with nothing better to do other than a long lunch in front of a fire, a nice light polenta concia for non meat days!.

The one comfort food I haven't been able to fathom is Canadian "poutine" ? putain merde more like.
latest report
Berthoud Abondance or a Croute Berthoud for a variation.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
0% unsweetened fromage frais. Natural fish oils are of course healthy.

0% fat creme fraiche is an abomination not a food stuff
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy