Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

El Tarter Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have just booked a hol with Neilson, going to El Tarter, 19 Jan. We are staying at the Hotel Del Clos which seems to have good reviews (concerned about hot water in one of the reviews).

Could you please give some tips, e.g., cheapest way to get a locker, best area/runs (we like Blue/Red - not too steep), etc? We might use Neilson's ski guiding and have few group lessons too.

Snow wise it seems that it hasn't snowed much but apparently they have good artificial snow making machines throughout the whole area.

looking forward to seeing comments

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We hire from the shop actually on the slope to the left of the main chair going up. Do that, pay some euros deposit (forgotten how much, 10, 20) and they have lockers underneath.

Snow levels discusssion in the Pyrenees thread in snow reports, and look on the webcams to get an idea daily. As you say, not much but very well maintained.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3422970&highlight=soldeu#3422970

Here’s my TR from last year. We stayed in Soldeu but due to the lift layout, my 1st run was often into El Tartar. This takes you into a bigger variety so most of the information about the runs and lifts applies equally to El Tartar. Do bear in mind this was 1/2 term so I wouldn’t expect it to be anything like as busy next week. Definitely take the blues round Canillo (head skiers left of the top of the drag when coming off Llosada to make your life much easier), lots of nice reds back in the El Tartar bowl. Lots of blues on the Soldeu side. Easy to get to Pas in a few hours, can get to the ridge doing barely any red but it’s mostly reds and a few easy blacks around Pas. Beware that the Pla des Pedres Chairlift has been extended downwards this season and there are new linking green runs in this area so there may be more routes and my description might not make sense. You will still need Pla des Pedres Soldeu (a different chairlift) to get back from here. Cubil still looks like it is the pinch point but well worth going over there for lunch. Have a read about the voucher system as it could save you loads on quickish lunches (if you get this option with a TO).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Del Clos is really nice, very friendly staff. Hot water only really an issue when everyone suddenly goes for a shower at the same time. Neilson ski guiding is very good, the social slide in particular.

Lots of nice blues. I'd not do the earlier mentioned Canillo section on your first day as it can be a bit icy in parts and needs you to have your ski legs back. But Rossinyol in that section is marvellous.

Other options. From Llosada, take Cortalets half way down and go onto whatever the blue is called. It leads you quite a way down, theoretically to the bottom at Soldeu. Or, follow Cortalets to the chair lift, and find your way down Solonella XL.

If you're headed to the bottom, take Gall du Bosc. Esquirol can be very, very icy and isn't even that nice a run.

Good restaurants on the mountain. Le Roc de les Brutxes at the bottom of Rossinyol, or Arosseria or the Italian place at Riba Escorxada.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Orange200. - do you remember the name of the hire shop you refer to? We are also looking to leave our skis at least by the lift each night to save me a job carrying all the family skis back to the hotel. Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just checked Google maps, I believe it’s Nordic Esports.
Lockers are out the front steps, down and turn right, walk round the back of the building. Up to now we’ve got all the family’s skis poles and boots in one locker. Ask for a locker key when you rent.
Half a mile down the hill is Espunyes which sells good cheap branded ski stuff and opposite is a damn good meat grill.
If you want tables for lunch, arrive before 1pm when the queues start.

Have fun!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that's right too. Though admittedly: for me - like for Orange200 - it's simply "the place by the piste". FWIW I've also had good experience there. And it sure is handily located.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, thank you all for the very informative posts....Much appreciated.

Orange200, what a TR!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smile I get a lot out of this site, I try to give something back (or forward).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were there last week in Neilson Chalet Cascale. The last proper dump of snow was before Christmas but they keep making artificial so the slopes are mostly covered but its hard-pack. We got 2 or 3 cm of new snow on Thursday/Friday but it soon mixed in with all the artificial so not much improvement, although we managed to find a couple of better runs somewhere each day. We did the Neilson carving clinic which was very good. Plenty of hot water in Cascale!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We rented a locker at pic negre 4 underneath Hotel llop gris. It's right by the ticket office and you can ski down to the gondola or walk up to the chair pretty easily.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Man that has to be at least 15 meters further than the one I recommend!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all again.... Flying out tomorrow.....Too much snow forecasted for this coming week....Preparing myself for runs/lifts closed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it happens, stay in the trees on the front face around el tartar and Soldeu as they are amongst the last to close and the trees will help you see.
I'm jealous as I'm just flying back. Snow was surprisingly good considering they hadn't had any since Christmas
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy