Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck to St Anton Transfer

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for experienced information on transfer as in post title late afternoon, early Saturday evening in February. I guess that bus to the Hauptbahnhof then train is the cheapest and easiest?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@elj221c, Yep. Get the app and book a single ticket through from the airport, and I don't think it charges you extra for the bus. Unless you can get a discounted advanced ticket, you may as well wait until you are leaving the airport to do this, then just show your phone ticket to the bus driver. IIRC it's €17.50 each way.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A few recent threads on this very topic.

Yes, get a taxi/bus to the HBf and then train. There are also transfer companies (I have no experience with them) and taxis (very expensive).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@elj221c, the trains are often busy so best book a seat. You can reserve a seat separately to buying a ticket. It is often worth doing so if you are unsure about what time train you will be taking. The seat reservation costs €3 so no big deal if you dont use it. Then you buy the actual ticket just before you start your journey. In theory the tickets are only valid for two hours from the time of the train or bus. I have never had a problem with using them on another train but maybe you will get a picky ticket inspector so best avoid the issue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have in the past paid to get on the TO buses, Inghams and Crystal, they have desks at Innsbruck airport and will sell seat transfers. TO Transfers to St. Anton are direct and don't involve other resorts. Easier, but not cheaper, than the bus/train. Problem would be timing as most TOs will probably have completed the pick ups for the day by that time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ulmerhutte wrote:
A few recent threads on this very topic.

Yes, get a taxi/bus to the HBf and then train. There are also transfer companies (I have no experience with them) and taxis (very expensive).

Ah, didn't think to do a search. Doh! You are right about the taxis. I looked out of curiosity and saw a quote of €280 return!

Thanks for all the replies.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As mentioned, bus F (€2.50) from right in front of the terminal to the left or taxi (€15-20) to Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof (HbF on the bus). Best to use the app ‘OBB’ from the App Store to book your ticket, reserve your seat and download your ticket. Your ticket will say the carriage number; at Innsbruck HbF look for a computer display on the platform which will tell you where to stand on the platform for your carriage number - all very efficient. At St Anton on the return, there is a large poster on the platform indicating the same thing. For times and planning, you can use the ‘OBB Scotty’ app. Fare is €17.50. If you’re doing a number of trips and the right age, you might want to get a young person’s railcard (Vorteilscard Jugend) or a family railcard both at €19 giving a discount of 40%.

The direct trains to St Anton are every two hours and the in between trains go to St Anton but require a change - worth waiting for the direct train. If you’re bringing skis, the trains marked ‘EC’ on your ticket have storage racks at the end of every other carriage where you can hang your bag off the bike hooks. If your train is marked ‘RJ’ or ‘RJX’ (Railjet) you’ll need to put your skis on the overhead rack.

It really is easy and efficient, such that we’ve now given up hiring a car.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bumping this slightly old thread to see if anyone has any updates.

Reason for this is that my flight (COVID restrictions permitting) to Innsbruck has annoyingly been moved from landing at 17:30 to 18:30 on the 15th Jan. I think that is a bit optimistic for my planned 19:47 train from Innsbruck Hbf to St Anton with COVID and Brexit checks as well as bag reclaim etc.

Next train appears to be at 21:47 which would mean around 2 hours hanging around at the airport and more importantly means I wouldn't be at the hotel till after midnight. I guess there is a 20:47 to Landeck but I think the post bus doesn't run after about 20:30 and that would probably not get me into St Anton much before midnight either!

Return trip is fine and will be getting the train for that but before I bite the (very expensive) bullet and try and arrange a taxi for the outbound, anyone aware of any options I have missed, new buses/shared transfers that have appeared? Or anyone in a similar situation that week?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrNo, the trains from Innsbruck that stop in St Anton are generally only every two hours ( the other ones stop in Langen but not much help getting to St Anton). Details of trains & buses https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/de/service/fahrplaene . I would have thought you would have had a reasonable chance of getting the 19:47. Perhaps if not a transfer from Landeck (or Langen) might be cheaper than from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrNo, T/O transfer on buses meeting flights? Taxi sharing from airport with fellow pax? Pre-covid, clearing INN was usually quick but it would be tight getting to Innsbruck Hbf in just over an hour from landing.
Note that charter flights from other countries will have buses meeting them, though it is a bit late for that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidthornton, good idea about the TO transfer but I think the latest TO flight arrives at 17:00 so probably a bit early to wait for my flight. I'm doing a Snoworks course that week so was intending to see if anyone was going the same way around the same time as the cost for 2-3 people of a private transfer is around 50-75 euros each which I don't think is too bad.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like @munich_irish, I too think you have a fighting chance of getting the 19:47. We used to fly into INN and clear Customs there. Usually there were 2 bored Border Control guys standing around, who seemed to not pay much attention to checking. We usually got our bags about 10 - 15 min after landing - not that long after we had walked in across the apron.

From memory, it was about 10 - 20min taxi ride to the station, although if the bus was waiting, we would jump on it.

Of course, covid may well have changed everything and we have not used that route since Lauda/Austrian stopped flying to Australia.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We flew into Innsbruck mid December and it was really quick through passport control and getting bags. If we were catching a train 1 hr and 20 min later we would've made it fairly easily.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it actually necessary to pre-book trains in Austria? Is it like here where walk-up prices are about 3 times the price than if you pre-book tickets?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pctaylor wrote:
Is it actually necessary to pre-book trains in Austria? Is it like here where walk-up prices are about 3 times the price than if you pre-book tickets?

No, just buy a ticket on the app or in the station before you get on. It is sometimes possible to get reduced fare tickets on specific services by buying in advance, but I think that's more likely on a long distance route. Most fare reductions are obtained with a discount card or travel pass, but these are designed for regular commuters not one-off travellers.
snow conditions
On some ÖBB routes and services, you might see a Sparschiene ticket advertised, usually at a substantial discount to regular ticket. The catch is that the ticket is only valid for a particular date/time/service. With a regular ticket, you have flexibility to travel that route over a 2 day window.

One more “good to know” is that with tickets bought online, you can cancel and get a refund up to the day before travel - no drama - as long as you have not downloaded the tickets. You will however lose any seat reservations you have purchased, but that is a minor amount.
snow report
I live just over the border in Bludenz in the Vorarlberg but generally fly into Innsbruck via Vienna when I return from the UK. As St Anton is the usual stop on the train to Bludenz, I‘ve done your proposed route many times. The most cost effective way is to download the Austrian railways app (ÖBN) & through book your journey on line. (taking advantage of any Sparschiene offers). If not, get a bus ticket at the machine just outside the airport at the bus stop valid to the Bahnhof ..then a ticket from Innsbruck Bahnhof to St Anton Bahnhof. Last train departs 21.47. Total cost around €15-20.

If you miss it, get the later train 22.54) from Innsbruck to Landeck & a taxi from Landeck to St Anton for around an additional 50 Euros and much cheaper than a taxi all the way from Innsbruck…although check taxi availability as soon as you know you are going to need it. You should, however, make the 21.47 as Innsbruck is a small airport and the bus journey to the station only 15 mins or so. I last did the journey in early January & was on the train 50 mins after landing but have Austrian residency so you may be slower.
I should add that, although I am personally a fluent German speaker, all the information for the journey eg on the ticket machine screens is available in English..

Happy to answer any queries..
ski holidays
Oops ÖBB statt „ÖBN“
ski holidays
Another tip is if you are tight for time in Innsbruck, better to fork out for a taxi from Innsbruck airport to the Hauptbahnhof rather than waiting for a bus (30 min intervals) & missing the 21.47 train as that will be cheaper than my suggested backup plan of taking the 22.54 train to Landeck & taxi from Landeck to St Anton..
latest report
Where's stanton when you need him! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Wo er wohnt und lebt - d.h. Rotterdam vermütlich..
ski holidays
Oje "vermutlich"..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy