Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis Bindings Mounted Wrong?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Been a while since i've been on here but hoping someone can help / inform. I've just bought a new pair of M5 Mantra's and they arrived with one of the bindings noticeably off centre. My gut feeling is i'm spending a lot of money on a setup here and it should be accurate but i wanted to take opinion as to whether i'm making a fuss over something insignificant.

Couple of pictures below which show both of the front mounts;

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know if it would make any difference to how they ski but I know I world be unhappy looking at that off center binding every time I put my skis on.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Levi215 wrote:
Hi All,

Been a while since i've been on here but hoping someone can help / inform. I've just bought a new pair of M5 Mantra's and they arrived with one of the bindings noticeably off centre. My gut feeling is i'm spending a lot of money on a setup here and it should be accurate but i wanted to take opinion as to whether i'm making a fuss over something insignificant.

The transfers are not always a good guide but in that case it looks pretty clear cut that the right binding is wrong. About 2mm offset? In an ideal world the shop would offer a new ski and mount it properly. Did you buy from a UK or Euro retailers?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
Hi All,

The transfers are not always a good guide but in that case it looks pretty clear cut that the right binding is wrong. About 2mm offset? In an ideal world the shop would offer a new ski and mount it properly. Did you buy from a UK or Euro retailers?

On-line Euro retailer but i think they have a UK company setup too, why do you ask?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Levi215 wrote:

On-line Euro retailer but i think they have a UK company setup too, why do you ask?

because if they are French it is really difficult to get redress for that kind of thing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:

because if they are French it is really difficult to get redress for that kind of thing.

Yep French home company, do you just get no response?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Write to them. If no satisfactory response send the correspondance to credit card company. The product is defective.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Probably best to send pics with a tape measure or ruler just in front of the binding to prove the binding is mounted incorrectly and that it's not that the topsheet and/or camera angle that is off centre.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jeepers that is really bad. Getting that ski to edge would be totally different if on your left foot compared to when on your right foot. Even the better of the 2 skis doesn't look quite right. Kick up a fuss - "Ils prennent la pisse!"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Levi215 wrote:
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:

Yep French home company, do you just get no response?

Well I'd hope you get a response but on the French forums you keep seeing errors like this and the ski shops are very obstinate about not sorting the problem out and seem to think that pages of bad press doesn't matter. Here is a recent example from skitour (company is Espace Montagne in Grenoble): http://m.skitour.fr/forums/read.php?id=337223

you need to click on the image links, the poster was not very talented for embedding images. In the end he got another skiman to sort out his problem.

But your company might be perfectly willing to do something, you won't know until you've tried.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
But your company might be perfectly willing to do something, you won't know until you've tried.

I find this an interesting line, aren't they obligated to by law?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, I take it that guy lives by himself, based on the skis straight onto the dining table with the boots still having the crap stuck to them from last weeks outing ? Laughing

He's right about the binding setup though, what a mess.

@Levi215, I think they probably are, obligated to fix them that is, but if they don't and if you have to use the law in France you will probably be too old to use the skis by the time you get a result Sad . Credit card stuff like mentioned above sounds best bet to try and force their hand. I tend to use PayPal when buying non UK stuff because I think it's easier to put pressure on the retailer with the paypal dispute process. Never had to do it outside ebay so don't actually know if that is true.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skitow wrote:
@Levi215, I think they probably are, obligated to fix them that is, but if they don't and if you have to use the law in France you will probably be too old to use the skis by the time you get a result Sad . Credit card stuff like mentioned above sounds best bet to try and force their hand. I tend to use PayPal when buying non UK stuff because I think it's easier to put pressure on the retailer with the paypal dispute process. Never had to do it outside ebay so don't actually know if that is true.

I'm happy to do that, have a good relationship with my CC companies, i'm just loathed to let them pick-up the bill when it's clearly this companies fault. I've not had a response so far and i've raised a return request this morning and had nothing back from that either.. Will give it to tomorrow evening before going to the CC company, looks unlikely i'll be skiing on them next week though Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Levi215 wrote:
skitow wrote:

I'm happy to do that, have a good relationship with my CC companies, i'm just loathed to let them pick-up the bill when it's clearly this companies fault. I've not had a response so far and i've raised a return request this morning and had nothing back from that either.. Will give it to tomorrow evening before going to the CC company, looks unlikely i'll be skiing on them next week though Sad

I would not worry about the credit card company, they will just knock it off the retailers account, and charge them a higher percentage if it happens a lot.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Customer Service is generally appalling in France. Whatever you buy and from wherever. Buyer beware Sad
snow conditions
skitow wrote:
....I would not worry about the credit card company, they will just knock it off the retailers account, and charge them a higher percentage if it happens a lot.

^ This
snow report
So seems to be a consensus, how long would you all give it?
ski holidays
I'm presuming that they were from Glisshop? If so, go straight to your card provider.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
I'm presuming that they were from Glisshop? If so, go straight to your card provider.

No Ekosport
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

No Ekosport

I've seen a few dodgy mounts from them but loads from Glisshop. Most of the time the owners haven't noticed until they bring them in for service.

That error should never have left the workshop and it would have been blindingly obvious to the tech who did it. It was caused by the rubber feet on the jig sliding off the legs slightly so that it sits under the ski edge rather than against it, which throws the jig to the side.

I'd be interested to know from you if the skis came with a note about you getting the final adjustment done to the bindings for your specific boot or was there nothing to that effect? I've had a few pairs of skis in for their first service that came from Glisshop that all had incorrectly set bindings had none of the owners had been to told get the bindings properly adjusted and they thought as they'd provided their height/weight/bsl etc they thought all was good.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

No Ekosport

I've seen a few dodgy mounts from them but loads from Glisshop. Most of the time the owners haven't noticed until they bring them in for service.

That error should never have left the workshop and it would have been blindingly obvious to the tech who did it. It was caused by the rubber feet on the jig sliding off the legs slightly so that it sits under the ski edge rather than against it, which throws the jig to the side.

I'd be interested to know from you if the skis came with a note about you getting the final adjustment done to the bindings for your specific boot or was there nothing to that effect? I've had a few pairs of skis in for their first service that came from Glisshop that all had incorrectly set bindings had none of the owners had been to told get the bindings properly adjusted and they thought as they'd provided their height/weight/bsl etc they thought all was good.

Haven’t seen a note with them but I would always check in terms of DIN (maybe not boot length) but did ensure they clipped in ok. I generally jump a few times when I clip in to make sure all is good anyway.

Agree it should never have got shipped, seems clear but maybe whoever did it didn’t want to admit to it? Don’t know if anything can be done or whether the skis are kaput, but it’s not a cheap base product!
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

No Ekosport

Yes, I sort of figured they were. Sad. Ekosport was taken over a couple of years back and customer service may have improved since then.

Generally they are quite good in my experience.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

No Ekosport

Yes, I sort of figured they were. Sad. Ekosport was taken over a couple of years back and customer service may have improved since then.

Like to give people a chance to sort things out, not one to just rant and provide bad press.
latest report
Levi215 wrote:
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

No Ekosport

Like to give people a chance to sort things out, not one to just rant and provide bad press.

see above, in bold, before you rant.
snow report
@Levi215, the bindings cannot be remounted in the same fore/aft position on the ski as the new hole locations will be too close so it's new skis time.

As an aside, have you checked the mounting location of the bindings on the ski, ie is the boot centre line over the mounting line on the ski?

The ski are perfectly usable for another skier that has a bsl different enough from you so that the hole locations won't clash when the bindings are remounted or a different make/model of binding could be used that has a different enough mounting pattern. The shop can resell the skis on this basis with a nice discount but still not loose money.

And bindings must have their forward pressue set with the user's boot (and possibly the toe height as well) otherwise the dins will not be correct and retention is compromised when the ski is flexed or goes on to reverse camber. Eye balling the set-up and jumping up and down a few times checks neither of these! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Just got a response for my raised return and no quibble just shipment letter and new order for a new pair. Hopefully they'll allow me to ship to France rather than home Very Happy
latest report
spyderjon wrote:

And bindings must have their forward pressue set with the user's boot (and possibly the toe height as well) otherwise the dins will not be correct and retention is compromised when the ski is flexed or goes on to reverse camber. Eye balling the set-up and jumping up and down a few times checks neither of these! rolling eyes

Everyday is a school day, when you say forward pressure what do you mean? Is it something i can do myself when i get the new set?
snow report
@Levi215, what make/model of bindings are they?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Levi215, probably, yeah. Most bindings have a marker on the side but a thorough reading of the destructions is advisable as minimum, or taking to someone who knows what they're doing.

I try to think of bindings not as what holds my boot to the ski but what stops my knees exploding when I get something wrong.
ski holidays
Or even of the instructions to prevent destruction.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:

Look Pivot 12, but we have other skis with different bindings. I guess just read the initial setup manual for them all?
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Levi215, probably, yeah. Most bindings have a marker on the side but a thorough reading of the destructions is advisable as minimum, or taking to someone who knows what they're doing.

I try to think of bindings not as what holds my boot to the ski but what stops my knees exploding when I get something wrong.

I like that thought approach!
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Look Pivot 12, but we have other skis with different bindings. I guess just read the initial setup manual for them all?

Setting up a Pivot binding is a black art and the tech manual is next to useless, especially when the tech doing the mounting doesn't have your actual boot to set the mounting jig length. After setting the jig length (preferably with the customers boot) a tech experienced with Pivots will first drill the toe holes in the ski and then shorten the jig slightly by 3-4mm and then drill the heel holes. This is to ensure that the heel ends up in the middle of its adjustment range as the Pivot heel adjustment range is sh1te and the jig, if left alone, would position the heel at the rear of its adjustment.

If I'm mounting Pivots mail order then here's the note I include with the skis:

"The heel arms have 3 knurled bands on them. The two outer ones are the upper and lower limits. Out of the box the heel length is set on the middle band. A maximum of 7-8mm adjustment can be made between the two outer bands.

Extending the arms lengthens the heel binding and reduces the forward pressure. Shortening the arms reduces the binding length and increases it the forward pressure. The dildo needs to be raised (ie the boot should be in the binding) to access the no.3 pozi driver heads in the ends of the arms which are turned to alter the length.

The target should be to have the sloping white indicator at the rear of the base plate in line with the notches but this is often inaccurate so it's best ti ignore it. The best method is to put the boot in the toe binding and gently sit the boot on the cup of the heel binding. With one had applying downward pressure to the boot cuff use the other hand to slowly raise the dildo to horizontal. A further slight upward lift should make the dildo ‘snap’ up. Adjust the heel length/forward pressure until this is achieved.

As a further check, & with the boot in the binding, grab the dildo part and rotate/pivot it. You're looking for no rotation/play when doing this but without the arms snagging on the sides of the boot."
latest report
@spyderjon, didn't know you did dildos, might have to have another peruse of your online store.
latest report
Are the use of “pocket rockets“ also included in the ski tuning training courses?
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@spyderjon, didn't know you did dildos, might have to have another peruse of your online store.

Just don't ask about his tech fitting buttplugs
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
Just got a response for my raised return and no quibble just shipment letter and new order for a new pair. Hopefully they'll allow me to ship to France rather than home Very Happy

Hope they deliver but just looked at their customer reviews/feedback for the German market. They weren‘t pretty, I trust you will rent if they don‘t get them sorted in time?
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Just don't ask about his tech fitting buttplugs

Trust they are quick release TÜV certified.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Levi215 wrote:

Hope they deliver but just looked at their customer reviews/feedback for the German market. They weren‘t pretty, I trust you will rent if they don‘t get them sorted in time?

I've binned it off just going to take my other skis, will buy some 2021 models or something next year
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

If you have a look at the Pivots heel you'll see why us techs use that name Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy