Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easiest blues in Ellmau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Looking for guidance on the easiest (least steep) runs in Ellmau or close by for a very (very) cautious improving beginner.

Thanks so much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It isn't just steepness. Width is equally important (narrow cat tracks, however unsteep, can be horrid especially if people end up snow ploughing straight down, scared of the edges). And state of the snow obviously makes a big difference too. Presumably your very (very) cautious beginner will be in ski school and if skiing with them after lessons, the best bet is only to take them to runs where they've been with their instructor.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The whole central skiwelt area (Ellmau and Sheffau zones) above middle station is ideal, relatively short wide runs and you can see what you are heading into. All the blues are fairly gentle. Avoid the runs down the main gondolas, particularly below mid station, they tends to get cut up more quickly especially on warmer days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Col the Yeti, +1. The area above Ellmau and Sheffau has some really nice gentle blues. I'd think hard before taking them down the blue back to resort - they get busy, slushy at any time of year and quite lumpy/chopped-up. Mate blew out his knee on a slush mogul (he's an old duffer, though:)).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Soozm, as has been said conditions are an important factor in how easy any particular run might be. The easiest blue can be a real challenge if hard ice and a black in perfect snow can be a really straight forward proposition. I have not been to SkiWelt so far this season so cant say how things are but reports suggest decent snow above mid mountain especially on north facing slopes (Ellmau and Scheffau) but the home runs can be rather thin and icy especially on south facing slopes (Brixen).

I guess you would be in ski school so your instructor can take you on pistes they believe within your ability.

In terms of ideal slopes I would suggest that the area at Brandstadl (Scheffau) is good, the Osthang chair and drag have some very easy short slopes. From the top of Hartkaiser the blue run down to the Almbahn chair is fairly gentle. To get across to the Köglbahn for Scheffau follow the track that goes under the Almbahn (stay on the track until the end) then follow the blue piste down to the chairlift. There is a long blue down to Ellmau from Hartkaiser that often has decent snow. It is mostly pretty easy (make sure you stay on the blue the red is steeper in places), however there is one pitch which is a bit more difficult. The piste turns right and narrows to a track, the pistes then continue down a somewhat steeper slope off to the left. The easiest part is towards the far end but track back left to the obvious piste through the trees rather than the red to the right.

I would keep clear of Going until you have built up some confidence.

It is worth making your way over to Brixen there are some gentle runs there but do not try the red run down to the village itself (it always has poor snow), take the Gondola if you want to go that way.

The run down to Aualm usually has decent snow, some easy moguls and Aualm is a decent enough lunch spot but maybe leave it until you have progressed a bit.

Hope that helps
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow! That’s incredibly helpful! Thank you all so much. Will be there over Feb half term and will make sure I have an instructor. I was looking at the piste map and wondering where’s best to go in relation to the hotel and where the rest of the group - who are all very confident intermediates - might be.

Once again thank you so much for those great responses Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think people tend to forget how daunting a ski slope can be for a nervous beginner. Although I've not skied at Ellmau since I was there in 1981, I would have thought that the beginner run (just a short walk from the village along Austrasse) would serve you well. The Kirchbichl lift is (or was) a short T-bar (I see that there is now another lift alongside that may well be even more beginner). I did look back at an old super-8 video of when I was there to check - our Thomson ski guide at the time was Raj Bisram, who now presents the Ch5 Antique Road Trip.

There are others videos of the slope on Youtube

http://youtube.com/v/jjJbMs2Z2Q8

Steve
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@seb400, and there used to be a great (mobile) bar at the bottom of that slope
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only an open field when I was there!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love that video! I hope JP's eyes were alright Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy