Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations, March skiing in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Just looking into a ski trip to Italy in March and would like recommendations please. There will be 4 of us (2 couples) of intermediate skiing ability so don't need anything too difficult but still want a bit of a challenge. We tend to do self catering to keep the price down but would be open to other suggestions providing cost is not too expensive. We have been to Italy a lot in the summer but never managed to ski there. Any information would be welcomed, airports, transfers, car hire, resorts, snow conditions, expense etc.

Thanks for looking.

Soulo
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would recommend Cervinia (https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/zermattbreuil-cerviniavaltournenche-matterhorn/).
It's a nice place and jointly with Zermatt, it's one of the biggest resorts in Italy. It used to be open for summer skiing as well, but the glacier is shrinking and that's not really an option anymore. Nevertheless in March, you're guaranteed decent snow and all sloped are going to be available. You can reach it quite easily by car from Milan.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sella Ronda - huge ski area, inexpensive (relatively) and fabulous scenery. Arabba, Canazei, Val Gardena? I'm skiing Cervinia for the first time this March & really looking forward to it. We are a mixed group of about 18-20 most years and the Sella Ronda has been our first choice at least 4 times.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks sidus87 will have alook at Cervinia.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi kempski,

I quite fancy the Sella Ronda area, which resort would you recommend and which is the best airport to fly to. Also is it better to book transfers or car hire?

Soulo
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All of the above are good suggestions. I would add Madonna di Campiglio (or one of the other resorts in the same area which are likely to be less expensive).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends on whether you are doing it as part of a package or DIY? I have done DIY with a car from Venice in the summer but always used Crystal or Nielsons for skiing. They go into Innsbruk or Verona
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Depends on whether you are doing it as part of a package or DIY? I have done DIY with a car from Venice in the summer but always used Crystal or Nielsons for skiing. They go into Innsbruk or Verona

We tend do DIY but would not be averse to a package deal. Will have a look at Crystal & Neilsons.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
soulo wrote:
Hi kempski,

I quite fancy the Sella Ronda area, which resort would you recommend and which is the best airport to fly to. Also is it better to book transfers or car hire?

Soulo

Any of the Sella Ronda resorts would suit intermediates. Arrival airport would dictate resort choice...

Innsbruck for Val Gardena (Selva, S Cristina) or Alta Badia (Corvara,Colfosco, La Villa, S Cassiano)

Venice (Marco Polo & Treviso) airports for Arabba

Verona for Val di Fassa (Canazei, Campitello) and also Val Gardena

Further afield there's Milan Bergamo or Linate, maybe Bologna, Trieste, but you'd have to be saving a huge wedge to want to use those.

Innsbruck flights tend to be priciest, Venice or Milan the cheapest. I reckon with 4 of you, it will be cheaper to get a car. Car hire in Italy is cheaper than Austria, but winter tyres are hard to come by.

Accommodation prices increase proportionately to proximity to Sella Ronda lifts and some apartment owners will be reluctant to do anything other than a Sat-Sat booking.

So for a DIY option, it's a matter of marrying up good value flights with cheap car hire and some nice accommodation.

Flights to Innsbruck, hire car to Selva/Corvara, staying in quality apartment Sat-Sat, walking distance to lifts will likely be most expensive.

Flights to Verona, Venice or Milan, staying mid Val di Fassa (Moena, Vigo, Soraga, Pozza), a few miles drive to lifts will likely be the cheapest option.

Flying to Venice and staying in Arabba will likely be somewhere in between.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
soulo wrote:
Quote:

We tend do DIY but would not be averse to a package deal. Will have a look at Crystal & Neilsons.

If you can find a package to any of the Sella Ronda resorts with food included for under £500pp, it would be worth it.

You normally have to wait until last minute for those though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@soulo, Inghams also have quite a big programme to the Dolomites. I think they offer departures from a range of UK airports into Innsbruck.

Do you know which week of March you might go? Can be a big difference in likely snow conditions and trip cost between beginning and end of that month.

If you know that it could influence recommendations you get for specific areas or resorts.
snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PeakyB wrote:

Do you know which week of March you might go? Can be a big difference in likely snow conditions and trip cost between beginning and end of that month.

If you know that it could influence recommendations you get for specific areas or resorts.
snowHead

Yes, Spring can arrive early in the Dolomites. Arabba tends to hold the best snow on its high, N facing slopes, so is likely the best bet toward the end of March.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Luigi,

That very informative and just the sort of information i was looking for. Will really help with making a decision. I was wondering about winter tyres as we usually ski in Austria where they are compulsory on hire cars during the season. I take it that you will have to pay extra for them if you hire in Italy?

PeakyB,

Will check Inghams thanks. Probably be early to mid March when we go.

Soulo
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
soulo wrote:
Thanks Luigi,

That very informative and just the sort of information i was looking for. Will really help with making a decision. I was wondering about winter tyres as we usually ski in Austria where they are compulsory on hire cars during the season. I take it that you will have to pay extra for them if you hire in Italy?

PeakyB,

Soulo

Hard to find cars with guaranteed winter tyres in Italy, they are not compulsory. Some have reported success with Hertz, though prices can be significantly higher than other companies.

All cars come with snow chains in the boot, so if worst comes to worst! Most Italians arrive on summer tyres with chains in the boot.

By mid-March you would have to be extremely unlucky to encounter conditions that would need snow chains, esp if you stick to the lower altitude access routes and avoid any high passes, even these are cleared quickly after a snowfall.

Usually the only place you may encounter difficulties is if your accommodation has a steep access drive which hasn't been cleared.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
soulo wrote:

Soulo

I've been to Selva a few times the second week of March, had conditions ranging from very warm, Spring snow, eating ice cream watching the sun go down, to snow every night, full-on winter feel. That would be a good time to go though! A lot less busy than Feb.
latest report
Not an expert on Italy, but skied there last March for the first time in literally 40 years. Went to La Thuile with Crystal & stayed in Planibel Apartments. Found it very cost-effective compared with the previous year’s trip to Courchevel!
Eating in resort was pleasant and good value, as it was in most of the mountain restaurants, although our particular apartment could’ve described as “tired”.
If you are intermediate skiers, there’s plenty of skiing to keep you entertained and, while high winds limited our chance to experience it, the skiing links over into la Rosiere in France too so you'd have a big area to explore.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-01-20 11:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Limited experince in Italy but I've been to a few very nice resorts. Bormio is by far the nicest place I've been too and the drive from Milan isn't a tough one at all. T1 car hire is significantly cheaper than T2 if you hop on the shuttle. I've been up to Passo Tonale but the drive is a bit of a mission, ditto with Andallo which is a loverly small resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy