Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways have lost my ski clobber - help please

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

And I would add, not having to walk past policemen carrying machine guns.

There was me thinking that there where armed police at the ports and at St. Pancreas for the Eurostar. I have seen armed police on ordinary railway stations in large cities in the UK outside London and Northern Ireland. Finally if you happen to bump into a policeman in resort or elsewhere on the continent they are likely armed too.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jabuzzard, at the very least it should allow it to get to the right home. They know where the bag is and where it should be, it should only take a phone call to sort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has appeared! Only 10 days since I flew to Innsbruck, but only 10 hours before I go home.

I can't believe it, I told them on Monday, when they were certain they had not received confirmation that the bag was in Venice (I didn't fly there), to send the bag back to my home address. They agreed to do so.

It's now with me in Selva, smeared in some sort of detritus.

I don't think I'll ever fly with these clowns again.

https://twitter.com/tashy_mc/status/1217555840435138560?s=19

https://twitter.com/tashy_mc/status/1217557212018749442?s=19

Any retweets much appreciated. Between the skis, bag and new stuff I bought, I've got some heavy lifting to do tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice on the thread so far, I've had a great time in Selva, excellent piste and weather. snowHead snowHead NehNeh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sean1967, glad you have your stuff back... now what’s the betting you get an excess bag charge getting your new stuff AND your now found bags on your return flight?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ wrote:
@sean1967, glad you have your stuff back... now what’s the betting you get an excess bag charge getting your new stuff AND your now found bags on your return flight?

I'll now need to schlep all this clobber and skis to my return flight.

It's unbelievable.

I'm not too greatly fussed though, only me and the GF and we're still quite young. I'd hate to experience this as an older horse or as part of a family with young kids.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but as someone who's about to start making a claim for delayed baggage with BA, I'm interested to know how you got on with this process once you got back home, @sean1967? Assuming you didn't just go down the insurance route?!

I'm a bit concerned that BA want to know whether I have insurance, who with and what my excess is, because the only reason I can see for this is their opportunity to shirk their responsibilities and just to offer to cover the travel insurance excess in addition to minimal reimbursement of toiletries' expenses Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my experience airlines are useless, getting money out of them for this sort of thing is nearly impossible, I had 2 surfboards destroyed by easyJet and got nowhere.

I would start with your insurance company.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't want my insurance to pay for something that was absolutely nothing to do with them though @LDP816. I want BA to reimburse me seeing as they were responsible for the delay to my luggage (which their system still shows as being in transit despite having received it almost a week ago).

BA's "liability for baggage delay is limited to 1,288 SDRs [approximately £1,365; EUR1,600; USD 1,774].... {the basis for this being} the Montreal Convention of 28 May 1999, which is implemented in the Community by Regulation (EC) No. 2027/97 (as amended by Regulation (EC) No. 889/2002) and national legislation of the Member States" (their own words from their own website).

My insurance limit however is £250 (presumably minus the excess) and I'm planning on keeping this in reserve until I get a gauge of how BA are likely to deal with things.

I can't find anything that says I have to volunteer to BA whether I have travel insurance, although I presumably could not claim for the same items twice via both parties (and wouldn't anyway).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 17-02-22 17:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LDP816 wrote:
In my experience airlines are useless, getting money out of them for this sort of thing is nearly impossible, I had 2 surfboards destroyed by easyJet and got nowhere.

I would start with your insurance company.

Sorry to hear that, especially as I found easyJet incredibly easy to deal with when my friend's Dakine board bag got damaged on a flight of theirs and getting a free replacement was so damn easy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have not read all the previous posts but when BA lost our skis they arranged for them to be taxied to resort although they did not arrive until 5 days into holiday. For the 5 days we had to hire gear and on my return I contacted BA and they refunded the hire costs without even asking for proof just transferred funds straight to my bank account. I had used the BA app to track lost items so had an incident number
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like the original poster, it wasn't my ski / board bag that BA failed to transport; it was my suitcase, which contained the vast majority of my clothes & toiletries and all of my protective equipment.

I was given a "voucher" (a very poorly printed piece of A4 without any header that I could have knocked up on Word 95 and which it looked like they had) for clothing hire, but the three shops listed on the form no longer did clothing hire, if they ever did. So, I had to purchase some items as they were not available to hire.

I'm hoping to hear how @sean1967 got on with claiming for the recovery of costs for items he couldn't hire, because have read some very contrasting stories elsewhere.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jebroni3_16 wrote:

I can't find anything that says I have to volunteer to BA whether I have travel insurance, although I presumably could not claim for the same items twice via both parties (and wouldn't anyway).

I have no direct experience (and hope never to gain any Toofy Grin ) but I think you should either tell BA you have no insurance or that whatever insurance you have doesn’t cover the loss of your suitcase / replacement of items. I can’t see what you have to lose.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BA lost my case, but found it and sent it to the airport I`d landed at about 24 hours later. It was at the height of Covid so the airport was closed much of the time. Eventually I had to get back to the airport to collect my case as they kept saying it would be delivered but was not! All BA would pay for were the items we`d had to purchase to survive until we were re-united with our luggage. They would not pay any transport costs to get to shops to buy essentials, bear in mind most shops were closed, nor would they pay for our costs to get back to the airport because apparently it would have been delivered! Nor would they pay for emergency repairs to my glasses that had got broken at the airport during an admin issue that was theirs. My spare pair were in the case they lost! I really wish I`d shopped very locally at a very expensive shop and bought everything I could have done with rather than being reasonable. I won`t make that mistake again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
It'll turn up tomorrow - they always do.

This has been my experience.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Old Fartbag wrote:
red 27 wrote:
It'll turn up tomorrow - they always do.

This has been my experience.

Not how it ended for me. My bag arrived back at the hotel the night before I was going home. Had to schlep the lot, skis, 2 bags with all the clobber from Selva to Venice to Edinburgh to Glasgow.

On the upside, I got a lot of new clobber, some of it ridiculous. Toofy Grin
snow report
A friend's luggage didn't arrive once on a flight to Munich. After staying with friends we got a call 5 days later to say it had been delivered to their address. We had to turn the taxi to the airport around and go back for it!
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:
I don't want my insurance to pay for something that was absolutely nothing to do with them though @LDP816. I want BA to reimburse me seeing as they were responsible for the delay to my luggage (which their system still shows as being in transit despite having received it almost a week ago).

BA's "liability for baggage delay is limited to 1,288 SDRs [approximately £1,365; EUR1,600; USD 1,774].... {the basis for this being} the Montreal Convention of 28 May 1999, which is implemented in the Community by Regulation (EC) No. 2027/97 (as amended by Regulation (EC) No. 889/2002) and national legislation of the Member States" (their own words from their own website).

My insurance limit however is £250 (presumably minus the excess) and I'm planning on keeping this in reserve until I get a gauge of how BA are likely to deal with things.

When my luggage was lost by BA on a ski trip to Canada, I spent around £800 on buying replacement stuff locally and it was paid without a fuss, just sent them my credit card statement showing the amount I spent.

I did have insurance but I don't remember BA asking about it and I didn't have any contact with them over it.

I could justify buying replacement skiing stuff because I was heading to a remote lodge the following day and knew it would be virtually impossible to be reunited with my bag until a week later.

Luckily I packed my ski boots and other key essentials in hand luggage just in case this happened!
ski holidays
Airlines have a duty of care for you. You insurance is.... as it says on the tin.... insurance in case the airline plays silly bugs (AKA Ryanair).

In my experience and others, BA do loose your kit, just like other airlines, but they reimburse you. so @jebroni3_16 will be okay for the refund.

Not having a dig, but for others, remember the golden rule.

Boots, Helmet, gloves, goggles, base layers x1, ski socks x1, normal socks, pants and T-Shirt/shirts in hand luggage so if they loose everything then you only have to hire skis to continue. Wear/carry ski jacket. If they loose your kit, go into shop and buy new base layers and socks etc for a couple of days then claim.

The fact you have insurance should be of no concern to an airline. It is none of their business but their duty of care is their responsibility. No matter what O'Leary says Happy
ski holidays
That was my take on it as far as the insurance is concerned: it's none of their business.

I managed to take my helmet and goggles (and four lenses) in my carry-on, but little else other than paperwork and electronics that shouldn't go in checked luggage. And my bag wasn't far off the permitted carry-on size. Not that they seemed to be casting even a vague eye over size or quantity of carry-on items.

As I had two items of checked luggage, I'd done a half-decent job of splitting clothes, layers, underwear, and contact lenses (which I'll put in carry-on next time) across the two bags, but my padded stuff (shorts, knees and back) were all in one bag and obviously the one that was the one that was delayed.

I was amazed how hard it was to track down protective wear in Whistler though. Managed it eventually, but really surprised more places didn't stock it.

I did wonder whether it was an executive / tactical decision by BA to leave one of my bags behind because I had two and was therefore less likely to be inconvenienced. I know at least one of the others affected on my flight had multiple bags.

I was warned by another passenger that BA had stiffed them after a similar issue, but obviously don't know the whole story about that.
snow report
My bag turned approx 40hrs after arrival in whistler. It was a mix of my fault and airport staff in Aberdeen, not BA's.

Sister just arrived in whistler tonight. Seams BA didn't pack anybody case in the flight. No direct flight tomorrow so probably be full 48 hrs.
ski holidays
Why do you say it was a mix of your and airport staff in Aberdeen's fault, @WASHOUT?

And where was your sister flying from? Originating in Aberdeen too or just from LHR?

There's definitely something strange going on with the luggage on that route at the moment. I hope some of the forecast snow has at least turned up too!
ski holidays
I had a bca cylinder in my bag. Was called to desk and they decided it could fly. When I arrived in London I received a phone call from Aberdeen airport that my bag was still in Aberdeen. They agreed to remove cylinder and forward bag ASAP, I can pick it up on return. When I was called to desk we could have removed it then but tbh still my fault.
Think time for a upgrade to one of these fancy electric airbags..... @spyderjon

Sister started flight in Manchester but problem was in LHR as the whole flight was missing cases. Foolishly they never carried basics in hand luggage.
snow report
All my ski gear is sitting in terminal 5 as it couldn’t be unloaded from my flight last night. T5 was the worst I’ve seen for bag carnage! Meant to be going back out to GVA on Thursday so going to be interesting…
snow report
Ours is still missing (presumably in T5 still) 20 hours after we landed. Not a word from BA, not even a blanket email. Sad
ski holidays
We got in from Venice last night on BA. 4 hours late and no baggage unloaded (3 cases + 2 ski bags). Have claimed online. First case already found and on its way tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the rest
ski holidays
Soozm wrote:
Ours is still missing (presumably in T5 still) 20 hours after we landed. Not a word from BA, not even a blanket email. Sad

Sorry to hear that. I received a text from BA and my name was tannoyed in the baggage area at YVR on arrival, so I had a Property Irregularity Report number before I left the terminal at least.

Do you have your baggage tag numbers so you can report it if you haven't already?

You might be able to start the process on http://www.ba.com/baggage
latest report
Along with half the plane, we had 2 cases go missing (well they were never loaded) when we landed in Stockholm over Christmas.

We got a text whilst we were at the baggage carousel and then it appeared so did a lot of other people as there was a massive queue at the desk.

We had to describe the cases and the desk logged a claim (which you could also do online via the link they texted it seems, we definitely added extra details after).

We bought what we could in the airport (as we were staying in an airport hotel for the night and flying up to Are the next morning), sticking to just essentials to avoid any problems later.

Our bags turned up in Are, approx. 48 and 72 hours respectively (no idea how they got split) and although BA never disputed the claim it did take them a few weeks to pay out (which they did in full).

Admittedly this was just clothing, luckily all our ski gear was in the other bags that made it!
snow conditions
No bags for us either. Caught up in storm eunice mayhem so 30 hour delay at lhr T5. Made it to venice at 1am this morning and no bags for a family of 4. All our ski gear! Having lost a day already we've spent the day in ski shop buying new kit. Spoke to insurance and I hope they will pay out. Shop said we were second family in that day with lost bags trying to buy full set of kit.

Nothing from ba. Huge queue at venice airport at 1am for bag loss reports (we estimated over an hour wait) so we went back this morning to get necessary numbers for claim. Helpful agent said ba had sent two full flights with no luggage that day.

Having heard so many others are in the same situation I can't imagine how many bags must be in t5.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apart from anything else, @sean1967 has def got the right attitude and sad as I am for his plight, this makes for hilarious reading…. (Sorry Sean1967). Really hope his underwear, never mind all his ski essentials, turns up tomorrow. Agree re unnecessary spending sprees as mentioned above, but I’ve considered it a little naff for many years now to actually TRAVEL in a ski jacket (I suppose if you’re a bloke, it’s alright) so I would be skiing along in my fluffy teddy bear coat if this was me… which would be ok I guess and I think many of the ladies on here are with me!!
snow report
@Kimski44, I don't know any of the 'ladies' here who don't travel in their ski jacket. Why wouldn't you?. It means you a) have a ski jacket and b) are wearing appropriate outerwear when arriving in a freezing cold blizzard
snow report
We have spent 20yrs flying Manchester to Vancouver or calgary for skiing . Most yrs at least 1 bag does not arrive with us on the same flight. Now we take a photo of each luggage item with one of us in shot with a tape measure . This gives us bag colour and size when we report the missing bags.
The bags do turn up eventually but we have adapted packing to cover most issues. As we normally fly ba we do take the max size hand luggage to get the most in.
snow conditions
Kimski44 wrote:
Apart from anything else, @sean1967 has def got the right attitude and sad as I am for his plight, this makes for hilarious reading…. (Sorry Sean1967). Really hope his underwear, never mind all his ski essentials, turns up tomorrow.

I resurrected this thread of @sean1967's from a little over two years ago. His bag took ten days to arrive (just before he was due to fly home), but BA did at least pay out in full without a fuss from what he has told me.

I was without my bag for 3 days which was a bit of a pain, but thankfully didn't have to buy too much to get by. I only hope those that have found themselves in a similar situation this weekend get theirs sooner and that BA treat them as they did sean.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Kimski44, I don't know any of the 'ladies' here who don't travel in their ski jacket. Why wouldn't you?. It means you a) have a ski jacket and b) are wearing appropriate outerwear when arriving in a freezing cold blizzard

Always travel with my ski jacket on (usually) although my current jacket happens to be in our cave in our apartment, left in the holdall we packed away in 2020 when everything closed down.
At least all my kit is going to be there, and I've got an old one in the wardrobe I can take instead.
ski holidays
Anyway, if you're flying it saves on baggage allowance if you're wearing it.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
…remember the golden rule.

Boots, Helmet, gloves, goggles, base layers x1, ski socks x1, normal socks, pants and T-Shirt/shirts in hand luggage.

I don’t disagree in principle but that’s an awful lot of hand luggage. We don’t all travel Business Class, y’know Very Happy
snow conditions
Wish I had travelled in my ski jacket as I’d have it now for my flight out on Thursday rather than it being stuck in the depths of T5…
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
…I don’t disagree in principle but that’s an awful lot of hand luggage. We don’t all travel Business Class...
A standard transatlantic cattle-class maximum legal carry-on will easily take all that and more.
It's obviously a personal choice.

I don't take stuff I can easily replace/ borrow which maybe helps.
I do wear my jacket, carry a spare layer, because finding oneself outside in minus 20 or colder and not wanting to
open a snowboard bag is even more common than the airline losing stuff.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
…remember the golden rule.

Boots, Helmet, gloves, goggles, base layers x1, ski socks x1, normal socks, pants and T-Shirt/shirts in hand luggage.

I don’t disagree in principle but that’s an awful lot of hand luggage. We don’t all travel Business Class, y’know Very Happy

This is exactly what I did on my last ski trip and will do so in the future if travelling alone or just me and the missus. Just 1 pair of everything as if you get desperate you are able to wash overnight for the following day. Works a treat. And this is with the budget airlines so it is doable. But you are lugging 8-12 kgs around the airport so completely personal choice!
snow conditions
After being panicked by stories here of lost luggage and when the hand luggage allowance has allowed I've packed boots in hand luggage, along with salopettes, and ski socks, base layers & gloves stuffed into boots. Jacket and midlayer you wear, goggles in goggle pocket & helmet strapped to hand luggage. Its doable but not much space for much else. But all other stuff is superflous to the reason for travel.
snow conditions
I have generally found BA t be pretty good with delayed baggage. Normally delivered by courier the next day. No problem getting refunds for essentials. But I do see a lot of wee wee takers when it comes to what they see as "essential". EasyJet rarely lose a bag, but when they do they deal with it appallingly.

I am always amazed at the number of people who fly on a ski holiday without a decent jacket with them. Not least as the los-cost carriers often have you waiting on a cold stairwell/outside to board. And if luggage is delayed you could have a real problem at the other end. If you don't like wearing your ski jacket when travelling, then at least carry a decent winter coat it is just common sense to have appropriate clothing for your destination.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy